Should we explore Justin Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Only if it improves their financial posture. Dak is a free agent in 12 months. His agent wants a top of market contract for him. What would you trade for Dak Prescott under these circumstances? Unless the new team is offering a $60 million AAV deal he’ll play out his current deal and wave goodbye to the Cowboys this time next year.
Waiving his trade clause, basically means he can be traded to a team if his approval.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What if Dak and his agent say “no, but feel free to cut me if my services are no longer desired here”?
Dak has no interest in seeking compensation for Dallas to go to another team.

That is a dream world for GM Jeruh and the 25% of our delusional fans.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can't designate a player as a June 1st move with a trade. I'm pretty sure you can only do that for a cut and it's a limited number of players. If I'm right about that it really doesnt make sense for Dallas to trade Dak at all and a cut would be the only way to really navigate the situation as a trade actually cost the Cowboys more in terms of cap space for 2024 than it would to keep him on the roster.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
cut him June 1st
I think that’s what his agent had in mind when he negotiated the no trade clause. Get his client in a position to either be paid what he thinks he’s worth or be a free agent and expand the number of teams to negotiate with. Hurts’ agent garnered him the same deal in his contract. He got paid huge (soon to be considered less than huge) but anticipates another contract in the future. Smart agents. Dumb GMs.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think that’s what his agent had in mind when he negotiated the no trade clause. Get his client in a position to either be paid what he thinks he’s worth or be a free agent and expand the number of teams to negotiate with. Hurts’ agent garnered him the same deal in his contract. He got paid huge (soon to be considered less than huge) but anticipates another contract in the future. Smart agents. Dumb GMs.
No, it's still huge.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
No, it's still huge.
Well, Prescott, Tagovailoa, & Lawrence will all be moving ahead of him soon. Perhaps even Cousins. Before Hurts’ deal is done half the quarterbacks in the league will be paid more than he is. It’s a crazy business.

OriginalNameGuy

Reaction score
If we were to go another route I'd rather watch Lance play. The Dallas way is looking at the cheap option anyway so that feels more realistic. Like those years we threw Drew Henson and the like out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.