Should we have gone for points? "Smart Coaching" would have!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dadymat;2425861 said:
think about this................We kick......up by 7 now.......now with a minute to go......we let them have a crack at our ST unit...ouch.....then we let them bomb 2 or 3 to S Moss ....how many of these bombs do we stop?....

I like that Wade put it on the players shoulders.....i think it was the manliest thing hes done since hes been here.......THATS how you put a team away ....we say it around here often............PUNCH EM IN THE MOUTH

:dissskin:

I think the main thing and Wade talked about it at the post game. Folk had issues kicking in warm up given the windy conditions. I think that factored into the call. Say 60-40 he makes the kick I think the odds of Barber picking up a yard was better than 60-40 and given the fact Washington defense was looking worn out I think Wade made the right call.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Rack;2425812 said:
Nevermind that Folk was having problems kicking from 40 yards out in that direction before the game, or that our special teams coach sucks, or that the Skins best chance to win would be to block a FG and run it back for a TD, or that we were dominating them in the run game... "Smart Coaching" would have been to kick the FG.

:rolleyes:

I'm so freakin' happy the OP isn't coaching the cowboys.

Ren;2425821 said:
And then give up a 50 yard plus return on the following kickoff? which with our ST coverage that's a very real possibility

That's exactly what I was thinking... Even if Dallas scores a FG on the last drive, the deficit would have been 7 pts and they still have to kickoff and the Skins would have probably returned the ball beyond where Dallas had the ball on that 4th down play.

If Dallas did get stuffed, the Skins still have to drive almost 80 yards and get a TD, Dallas defense seemed up to the task.

No confidence in the Cowboy special teams whatsoever.

kapolani

Reaction score
LowTech;2425802 said:
We were ahead by 4.

Kick field goal, we're ahead by 7.

Think about it.

Likewise...

We miss the field goal. They march down the field and score.

Or...

We make the kickoff - they have a big return - and score a TD - setting up over time.

I'd rather seal the deal and not have to go into over time...

Think about it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2425751 said:
Should we have gone for points at the end of the game? Why not take it down to 1-second and then kick a last-second FG, or go for a pass in the endzone? What if this season comes down to tiebreakers and points are a determing factor? Personally I think "Smart Coaching" would have thought about this and gone for points; the fact that we did not go for points, in my honest opinion, is furhter sign of this team lacking "Smart Coaching".

Discuss! :D

Kicking against the wind and Folk missed 2 44 FG in warm ups.

No way! Going for it on 4th down was the right choice.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TwentyOne;2425892 said:
No way! Going for it on 4th down was the right choice.

Again, I don't think the original poster is talking about the fourth-down play. He's talking about trying to add points on the final play of the game (with 1 second left) instead of taking a knee.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2425906 said:
Again, I don't think the original poster is talking about the fourth-down play. He's talking about trying to add points on the final play of the game (with 1 second left) instead of taking a knee.

Either way, he's wrong.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2425906 said:

Why would you risk having the ball blocked with 1 sec? Taking the knee assured no screw ball play happens it is not worth taking the chance

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Ren;2425808 said:
With the way our ST was playing going for it was the smart move even if we hadn't gotten the 1st

:hammer:

lack of faith in our ST group most likely played into the decision to go for it.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Should we have gone for points at the end of the game? Why not take it down to 1-second and then kick a last-second FG, or go for a pass in the endzone? What if this season comes down to tiebreakers and points are a determing factor? Personally I think "Smart Coaching" would have thought about this and gone for points; the fact that we did not go for points, in my honest opinion, is furhter sign of this team lacking "Smart Coaching".

I agree 100 percent in that situation to go for the 1st down and run out the clock.

Too many things can go wrong.....block fg return, etc.

It also sent a msg to our D that the coaches trusted them to stop the other team if they did not make the 1st down......win/win situation:)

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
I was hoping they'd go for it, so I was happy they did so. Huge win for the Boys. Huge final drive by the barbarian.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rack;2425921 said:
Either way, he's wrong.

Doomsday101;2425923 said:
Why would you risk having the ball blocked with 1 sec? Taking the knee assured no screw ball play happens it is not worth taking the chance

That's what I said, too.

I'm just trying to clarify what the original poster seemed to be saying.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Didn't we try to kick a FG a couple of years ago against the Redkins, to increase our lead late in the game? The kick was blocked and returned, with a 15 yard facemask penalty added, allowing the Commanders to kick the game winning FG.

Is this what we really wanted to chance for 3 extra points?

It's like last year's Eagles game when Westbrook broke free and fell at the one yard line, so that we never got the ball back. He wasn't concerned about tie breakers!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
One time, we ran this play and something bad happened, so let's just never run that play again. :rolleyes:

Kicking a FG from their 17 yardline with 1 second left on the clock is hardly a risky play folks. Just because one time it went horribly bad is no reason never to try it again. I wonder how many of you who are saying it would be categorically the wrong move are going to think so if it comes down to those points to make it into the playoffs.

The NFC wild card race is going to be extremely tight and we need every advantage we can get, especially against the Commanders as we could very well be fighting against them to get in.

Ichill2

Reaction score
You don't want to kick a field goal chancing a block/ or making it and the special teams giving the mojo back to the skins on the kickoff return. That was the right call. They could not stop the run. Kicking a field goal is what the skins wanted. Only 14 points but it was a message sending big win. Good call Wade!

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score

what if the fg falls far short or is blocked and returned for a td? we lose

what if the pass is intercepted and is returned for a td? we lose

smart coaching wouldn't have gone for the "more points"

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2426108 said:
Didn't we try to kick a FG a couple of years ago against the Redkins, to increase our lead late in the game? The kick was blocked and returned, with a 15 yard facemask penalty added, allowing the Commanders to kick the game winning FG.

The game was tied when we kicked it. It should have won the game.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
It was the right decision regardless of the fact it worked. Even if we don't get it, they have to go 85 yards in one minute without a timeout. They hadn't moved the ball consistently against us all game long. The likelihood of them doing it at that point was slim. We also knew they hadn't stopped us all fourth quarter and on the last time, Barber was grinding them to death. The chances of them stopping us on fourth down was slim.

Wade showed balls and made the right decision.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
THUMPER;2426145 said:
One time, we ran this play and something bad happened, so let's just never run that play again. :rolleyes:

Kicking a FG from their 17 yardline with 1 second left on the clock is hardly a risky play folks. Just because one time it went horribly bad is no reason never to try it again. I wonder how many of you who are saying it would be categorically the wrong move are going to think so if it comes down to those points to make it into the playoffs.

The NFC wild card race is going to be extremely tight and we need every advantage we can get, especially against the Commanders as we could very well be fighting against them to get in.

You don't do things to put a game in jeopardy when you have it won.

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
I'm glad we went for it. Maybe, just maybe the coaching staff was showing the players they had confidence they could FINISH and seal the deal on their terms.

Good coaching move by a bunch of ****** coaches. :D