Should we have gone for points? "Smart Coaching" would have!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2425906 said:
Again, I don't think the original poster is talking about the fourth-down play. He's talking about trying to add points on the final play of the game (with 1 second left) instead of taking a knee.

You are right.

To answer the question i for myself wouldn't do it (kick the FG). First of all it's this gentlemen agreement because of which you don't do it (and i wouldn't do it). And second there are so many more games to play right now so many more points to score i don't think points will really matter in the end. If it were the second to last game or the last you could possibly think about it but not yesterday.

Then remember it's not all points you scored that count it's the points you scored in the common games.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2426108 said:
Didn't we try to kick a FG a couple of years ago against the Redkins, to increase our lead late in the game? The kick was blocked and returned, with a 15 yard facemask penalty added, allowing the Commanders to kick the game winning FG.

Is this what we really wanted to chance for 3 extra points?

It's like last year's Eagles game when Westbrook broke free and fell at the one yard line, so that we never got the ball back. He wasn't concerned about tie breakers!

exactly!! a blocked kick for a return or a pick 6....it never fails, somebody always finds something wrong with the way you win...

dfense

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2425751 said:
Should we have gone for points at the end of the game? Why not take it down to 1-second and then kick a last-second FG, or go for a pass in the endzone? What if this season comes down to tiebreakers and points are a determing factor? Personally I think "Smart Coaching" would have thought about this and gone for points; the fact that we did not go for points, in my honest opinion, is furhter sign of this team lacking "Smart Coaching".

Discuss! :D
I can't believe that move was even questioned. Bashing the coaching staff for passive approaches to coaching and defensive philosophy all year long then questioning a brilliant move that instills confidence in your team is just crazy.

You can't have it both ways. Zorn's cockiness in going for it when a manageable field goal would put them one point down with over six minutes left was "non smart" coaching. Wade told his team he believed in them and stabbed Washington in the heart. No last minute chances.

Let's here it for an aggressive Coach Wade

Hip hip hurray! Hip hip hurray! Hip hip hurray!

Take that cheer Zorn!

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
My only concern was what if they had stopped us. At that point a TD for them would have won it, not just tied.

As far as the points go, as in a tie-breaker scenario.. I think due to our relatively high scoring offense, that many teams who would be in competition with us at the end of the season, would be highly unlikely to match up with us anyway in total points scored. Not many "us" in the league, a measly 6-4 record or not. 3 points won't equate to much, especially with a couple of the hopefully powder-puff games ahead of us and what we've done already.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
THUMPER;2426145 said:
One time, we ran this play and something bad happened, so let's just never run that play again. :rolleyes:

Kicking a FG from their 17 yardline with 1 second left on the clock is hardly a risky play folks. Just because one time it went horribly bad is no reason never to try it again. I wonder how many of you who are saying it would be categorically the wrong move are going to think so if it comes down to those points to make it into the playoffs.

The NFC wild card race is going to be extremely tight and we need every advantage we can get, especially against the Commanders as we could very well be fighting against them to get in.

See below. Why would you risk a FG with a second left if you are already winning? The answer is never.

the kid 05;2426164 said:
what if the fg falls far short or is blocked and returned for a td? we lose

what if the pass is intercepted and is returned for a td? we lose

smart coaching wouldn't have gone for the "more points"

Exactly. It would not have been a bad decision to go for the FG if you think you can make it. It's not a bad decision to go for the first and end the game; if you make it.

Danny White;2426377 said:
I think/hope this thread is someone's idea of a joke.

It's a joke alright.

Cowboys2008;2426721 said:
My only concern was what if they had stopped us. At that point a TD for them would have won it, not just tied.

As far as the points go, as in a tie-breaker scenario.. I think due to our relatively high scoring offense, that many teams who would be in competition with us at the end of the season, would be highly unlikely to match up with us anyway in total points scored. Not many "us" in the league, a measly 6-4 record or not. 3 points won't equate to much, especially with a couple of the hopefully powder-puff games ahead of us and what we've done already.

Points don't normally come into tie breakers and should never be considered IMO. There are always more pressing matters at hand.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
lcharles;2426306 said:
I'm glad we went for it. Maybe, just maybe the coaching staff was showing the players they had confidence they could FINISH and seal the deal on their terms.

Good coaching move by a bunch of ****** coaches. :D

Agreed.
I was for keeping the ball out of their hands at the end of the game.

Didnt want Moss to have a chance to get behind secondary or for Portis to bust one out.