Should we have taken an OT in the 3rd instead of McGovern?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Chuma Edoga, Bobby Evans and Yodny Cajuste all went after we took Connor. I like McGovern but we have a ton of OG’s. Just throwing it out for discussion.

C McG will give us the opportunity to test C Will as an OT so in a round about way picking him alleviated the pressure to take an OT. Not only that but he was apparently the last BPA on the Cowboys board as a 3'rd rounder. Gotta respect the board :)

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Magic 8 Ball says:

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5FZk8Doaazsgj-E-VsdLpa79c37L9H9YJmF5NVlYDVW0N-9So

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Chuma Edoga, Bobby Evans and Yodny Cajuste all went after we took Connor. I like McGovern but we have a ton of OG’s. Just throwing it out for discussion.

McGovern was the only player with a second round grade still on the Cowboys board and Williams is better suited at tackle.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think they made the right call.
Collins' deal is up after this year and the RT market is going to be inflated.
With Williams having experience at tackle, McGovern landing in their laps was too good to turn down. And if Williams is not a good fit at RT there is also the possibility that Martin could play there and be real good.
Collins and Martin are not OT’s - they’re mauling OG’s. We keep putting guys in positions that aren’t their strength. Connor’s built like an OT but he has 33in T-Rex arms. If any of the SS’s we passed up end up being good then the McGovern pick was the right pick but wrong draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think they were planning to take either, but according to post draft interviews, McGovern was so far ahead of everyone else on their board at that point that they felt they had to take him.
They all said he was just sitting on their board way higher than what was left screaming "what about me" lol They had him slotted with mid 2nd rounders

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson may've been the pick otherwise...who knows though.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
According to McClay, they had no intention of draft OL that high but McGovern was too good to pass up. Hmmm.....what does that tell ya OP? Besides, Mitch Hyatt is pretty damn good......

Hardline

Reaction score
McGovern has the #1 ability that the Cowboys look for in offensive linemen.....position flex.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Collins and Martin are not OT’s - they’re mauling OG’s. We keep putting guys in positions that aren’t their strength. Connor’s built like an OT but he has 33in T-Rex arms. If any of the SS’s we passed up end up being good then the McGovern pick was the right pick but wrong draft.
We see things differently.
To be honest, arm length alone doesn't convince me that Williams (or Martin for that matter) can't play RT.
Joe Thomas had 32 1/2 long arms.
There are actually a handful of other quality tackles currently playing with "short" arms.
Can Williams hold up against speed rushers better than he did at Texas? That's my only concern. And it wasn't really a length issue, more of where he was positioning himself and not extending his hands in time kinda thing.
Watching college film of Martin vs Bama and another game against Trent Murphy (pretty much stonewalled him) I happen to think he'd be a very good RT.
JMO.
Cheers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No.

There is a very good chance that Connor Williams will be better at OT than at OG.

Yodny Cajuste has chronic knee problems.

Chuma Edoga was over-drafted by the Jets. He has quick feet but is otherwise a mess (weak, poor technique and has mental-makeup issues).

Bobby Evans might have to play OG in the NFL. His ceiling at OT is La'el Collins and his floor at OT is that he has to move to Guard. I've heard the Cowboys had a 5th round grade on him, but I'm not 100% certain if that's correct. He was a Local Visit with the Cowboys (He played at Allen High School with Tyler Murray).

I would have strongly considered Olisaemeka Udoh in the 5th. I think any negatives you see in his scouting reports was due to playing too heavy. He reportedly got up to 385 at one point. If he maintains his draft weight of 323, he has a very good upside.

Mitch Hyatt was one of the Cowboys UDFAs. Many draft analysts gave him about a 5th round grade. He was terrific in college at getting the job done but it was not pretty and he has a bit of an ugly body type. His movement skills are good enough and his measurable(s) were decent.

Hyatt Accomplishments:
First-team USA Today High School All-American.
Hyatt went to Clemson as one of the top recruits in the country.
Freshman: Third-team All-American as a freshman for the Tigers, starting 15 games at left tackle.
Soph: second-team all-conference pick after starting 14 games on the blind side in 2016, scoring a 90 percent grade against Alabama in his team's title game victory.
Junior: Second-team All-American in 2017, and he also earned the ACC's Jacobs Blocking Trophy and first-team all-conference accolades as a third-year starter on the left side.
Senior: First-team All-ACC selection in 2018, while also garnering first-team All-American honors starting all 15 games at left tackle for the national champs.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I think the plan is for c Williams to move to tackle soon..

Our big brain coaching staff/front office.

Why take a natural tackle in the NFL draft when you can take a guard in the NFL and switch them to tackle and hope for the best? Worked out well with Collins.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We see things differently.
To be honest, arm length alone doesn't convince me that Williams (or Martin for that matter) can't play RT.
Joe Thomas had 32 1/2 long arms.
There are actually a handful of other quality tackles currently playing with "short" arms.
Can Williams hold up against speed rushers better than he did at Texas? That's my only concern. And it wasn't really a length issue, more of where he was positioning himself and not extending his hands in time kinda thing.
Watching college film of Martin vs Bama and another game against Trent Murphy (pretty much stonewalled him) I happen to think he'd be a very good RT.
JMO.
Cheers.

You're talking about a near generational talent at tackle. He had literally everything else you look for as a tackle.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
You're talking about a near generational talent at tackle. He had literally everything else you look for as a tackle.
True. He isn't the only one, though.
Bryan Bulaga for the Packers (33 1/4 arms) just as an example. There are five or six other quality tackles with shorter arms starting in the NFL. I'm just saying arm length isn't everything.