Should we re-sign Leary?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Controversial question, I know. We have a beast in La'el, but La'el is still raw and Leary is clearly the better of the two right now (just watch @Idgit's Green Bay clip posted in this Zone).

Leary has been a pro bowl level guard in his time here, but because of the splash signing of Collins, and the fact that he plays with Smith, Martin, and TFred, he is often overlooked and brushed aside.

He hits the second level like a boss on run plays and punks DT's in pass-pro.

Due to his knee would it be viable to sign him to a decent contract (around 6-8aav) and keep Collins and push him (Collins) out to RT? Free hasn't been bad, but as @xwalker has said many times, the Oline and coaching staff often have to send coverage over to his side, especially in pass-pro.

This guy isn't a Parnell type, he is actually an incredibly effective guard, every game he plays. Look at how Zeke has performed with this beast back in.

What say you guys? Is it too much cap allocated to one unit, to keep all five? Am I dreaming at the thought of Leary taking a 6-8aav (@bkight13) deal with teams like IND and TEN out there that need Oline?

What do you think, Zoners?

xvendettax914

Reaction score
Does Leary want to re sign here? Is Collins getting that spot back? If not what do you do with him? lots of questions to be answered before determining that.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I don't think we can justify it. Collins is a solid starter with major upside. He started slow this year (as did the rest of the line), but he was a good player last year. And I'm not sure Collins can play RT at this level yet.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Does Leary want to re sign here? Is Collins getting that spot back? If not what do you do with him? lots of questions to be answered before determining that.

Questions I asked in my OP, Vendetta :) He loves it here, handled his benching like a pro, and wanted a trade not out of anger to the team, but because he wanted to play. He's playing now.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Depends on the $$.

I think this will be the primary factor whether or not Leary resigns.

He knows his knee is on the clock like the rest of us. Maybe dr. Andrews can advise the team and give a timeline of leary's knees remaining life

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Dallas is not going to resign Leary, he wants to start.....Collins is the starter going forward and Dallas doesn't have any cap room to resign him, but I'm glad he's playing because that helps get a higher compensatory draft pick when he signs somewhere else next year...