Should Zeke be released in the offseason?

Thomas82

Reaction score
I guess I'm a minority but Zeke decline has more to do MM and scheme than talent. His numbers don't surprise me at all.......if you look back at MM tenure with the Packers, it's not hard to see RBs are not heavily involved in his scheme. Hell, remember the first presser he only promised Zeke X number of TOUCHES, not carries. So yea, Zeke is way overvalued in this offense but I don't see any way he's NOT back 2021.

To me, the real key to Zeke's decline was Kellen Moore becoming the OC.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If not for a 26 yard run yesterday, Zeke would have had 11 carries for 22 yards.

His decline is very concerning.

Should he be released in the offseason?

I love it when people use the "if not for" argument so inconsistently. If not for the 12 yard garbage time run against the Ravens Tony Pollard (the guy you people are clamoring for to replace Zeke) would have had 7 carries for 10 yards. If not for his 42 yard TD against Minnesota he would be averaging under 4 ypc. There is no rational argument that Zeke should be running wild behind this line. It's terrible.. I don't need PFF or JFK or MLK to tell me that how they are "grading out." Watch the damn games.. Our backs are being hit the backfield on 30-40% of our running plays. We don't just lose at the point of attack.. We lose the backside seal block.. the help then chip at the second level and the tackle/tight end double more often than not. . None of it is working consistently, which is why both backs have had nearly half their games below 4 ypc. Zeke's contract didn't make him Superman.. He's not going to consistently overpower 2 and 3 300 pound men accosting him in the backfield. The fact that Zeke has managed to get 4 ypc in the last two games despite having guys he just met blocking for him needs to be applauded and appreciated. The most impressive thing I read today when looking at the numbers was the fact that Zeke averages 4.2 ypc on first down. That's the down when teams are REALLY buckling down and playing the run.. and dude gets us to 2nd and 6 more often than not. For reference Pollard averages 2.7 first down. That as much as anything tells you why one guy is an every down workhorse back and the other is not.

All that aside, cutting Zeke and eating a boatload of dead cap is not going to happen. Because doing so would be stoopid. We will be watching Zeke behind the varsity line next season. I am about 99% certain of that. And I have no problem with it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You can cut a player with a guaranteed contract. To get the guaranteed 2021, we have to guarantee 2022 first. Don't. Move on.

I agree but cutting Zeke in 2021 would cost something like a net of $14M on the cap or $25M. I forget. He could be designated a post 6/1 cut and the $25M would be spread out over two years. Still painful. Trade is the best way out.

kumizi

Reaction score
I like how the smooth brain members keep comparing Zeke to Tony Pollard, #128 pick in the draft who drafted as a gadget player, to try and convince us Zeke is still really good.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yes, as well as dlaw, j smith, Sean lee, LVE as well as woods...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every week this gets asked. The answer hasn't changed. NO.

The Cowboys can try to trade him. But who would take on that contract?

He is a Cowboy for at least one if not two years. Build up the OL back to the Cowboy standard and Zeke will be fine. Just overpaid.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'd rather watch Zeke run behind an OL with starting caliber players before I just blindly eat his dead money without thinking twice about it.

Worst case scenario, you have Pollard under contract too and can move Zeke the following off-season. Dude has got to fix the fumbling issue though, or maybe I cut bait quicker.

ICP

Reaction score
24.5 mil cap hit? Uh no. Even if it’s after June 1st.
Yup, we are stuck with him. His contract was just another big dumb decision made by this front office. Too many good RB's can be had for alot less.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His contract really limits what you can do to completely get him off the team. Better to use him for what he can do, he's a great decoy (fake) , short yardage back who can also block.

bandfan

Reaction score
Offensive line hasn't been that bad despite all the injuries.

Plus explain to me why a RB who is paid top money at his position needs a top 5 line to be successful.
Offensive line HAS been that bad. Tell me one RB you would guarantee to be successful behind this line...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If not for a 26 yard run yesterday, Zeke would have had 11 carries for 22 yards.

The team would be stuck with a big cap hit if they cut him, so what would be the point? If it doesn't help with the cap to cut him then why not keep him at least as a part time player?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I was opposed to resigning Elliott instead of having him play out his contract and and the 5th year option to see how things went. This year with the way the O-line has been destroyed by injuries his lack of production is somewhat understood, but his production as decreased every year since his rookie year. Because of his contract and the fact that the cap will be lower next season, the Cowboys can't afford to add a ton of dead money to the cap by releasing Elliott. This is one mistake they'll have to wait on to get rid of.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offensive line hasn't been that bad despite all the injuries.

Plus explain to me why a RB who is paid top money at his position needs a top 5 line to be successful.
He may not need a top 5 line, but most RBs need more than 2nd and 3rd teamers across the line. In any case, it seems you are proposing cutting Zeke more out of spite than logic. With his cap hit the next 2 years it would make sense to keep him even if he only splits time with another RB. Even if he has declined, he's certainly worth at least that much.