Shouldn't we be talking about the OL?

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I don’t care how complex passing schemes get in the NFL or how much of a passing league it continues to evolve towards, football will ALWAYS be won or lost in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Our DL has been playing well also, though not as dominant as our OL, which has correlated into more turnovers.

When you have solid edge rushers on defense and solid offensive lineman, you pay those guys whatever the market value is because those positions have a huge impact relative to winning games.

75boyz

Reaction score
I don’t care how complex passing schemes get in the NFL or how much of a passing league it continues to evolve towards, football will ALWAYS be won or lost in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Our DL has been playing well also, though not as dominant as our OL, which has correlated into more turnovers.

When you have solid edge rushers on defense and solid offensive lineman, you pay those guys whatever the market value is because those positions have a huge impact relative to winning games.

I strongly support this post.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Imagine the dominance if Frederick didn't get a very rare disease(first time I'd ever heard of it). He was still firmly in the prime of his career. Either way it's definitely still one of the strongest units in the league, and we have decent depth to boot.

And we've figured out a way to get some of that depth on the field at FB.

Goal line:
Collins back. McGovern at FB. Lamb and CD wide.
Steele/Schultz. I could see us feeling that a defense just didn't have enough quality beef to match up against us putting our *7th* quality run blocking olineman on the field. Or go with Schultz, who is well suited for a blocking/receiving role in short yardage.

If they double both Lamb and Cooper, they'll just get run over. If they leave a CB on an island against either, they'll have trouble. Schultz will be a problem, able to block decently, then leak out into an open endzone whenever he wants.

Zeke is a straight ahead threat they have to respect, but Dak is a good at a read option and throwing on the move.

I'm big on simplifying the field for a QB near the goal line. Fewer targets going out for a pass unclutters a short field. Having quality oline depth lets you do it. We should make use of ours.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Much of our success should be credited to the play of our OL. They have quietly regained some of their greatness. Tyron Smith seems to be playing the best ball he's played in a few years. Steele is a miracle, and Zack Martin is playing like... Zack Martin. It appears Williams and Biadasz are more than adequate.

These guys are opening up holes for the best running game in the NFL over the last three weeks. They're also protecting Dak. The Panthers defensive line had 6, 4, and 4 sacks the first three games of the season. Against our OL? Zero.
Good point. Every good team is strong in the trenches both on offense and defense.