Video: Shout out to Erik Williams

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
EW and Larry Allen, we have had two of the badest of bad axxses of all time on our line.

Tui and Gogan were nasty badasses too.

But Big E was the meanest scariest baddest man to ever don the Star. Likely the entire NFL.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Without question.

It's such a shame thinking about what could have been. I'm convinced had Jimmy not left and had the Cowboys players been able to get and keep their act together on and off the field, we would have won 6 straight Super Bowls.

Neither the Packers nor the 49ers could beat us when Jimmy was here. Once Jimmy left, the decline began, and we let the Packers get back into the Super Bowl pack.

Ah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. :(

Jimmy, like Erik, could beat a team before they even stepped on the field.

There was that mental psychological advantage he had.

And his Cowboys teams had real swag, the fear of the Cowboys reverberated to all the NFL Front Offices, it was not just on the field. When Jimmy left Cowboys, you could actually feel the entire NFL let out a sigh of relief.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
I’ve said many times on this forum, the two best tackles I ever saw were Anthony Munoz and Erik Williams.

Munoz was near perfect in technique, and equally great in the running game and pass protection. What John Hannah and Larry Allen were to guards, Munoz was to left tackles, if not more.

EW was the most physically imposing tackle I’ve seen. He wasn’t as strong as LA — but then, who is? — but very equal in ability to dominate the guy across from him.

I agree with Woody — and I’ve been saying it for 26 years — if EW doesn’t hit that retaining wall, Dallas beats SF in the 94 NFCCG, then rolls the Chargers in the SB. And, no injury and EW is a 1st ballot inductee.

After his near fatal wreck I wrote a long letter to Erik Williams and mailed to the Cowboys. I never heard from him but I hope he read it. I shared the Gospel as clearly as I could with Erik and pleaded with him to see the second chance on life that God gave him, and to give his life to Christ with a view to eternity.

Some years later, I read that he became a Christian and was active in community service. I so hope that is true. The HOF would be great; Heaven even better.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was the most dominant lineman In the league pre-accident. He’s the only man I ever saw that could handle Reggie White.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/reggie-white-s-nightmare-erik-williams-280076

“I remember White on the sideline talking about how Williams on the opening play hit him in his throat with his fist, or take his thumb and poke White in the eye blurring his vision. I had never seen a player leg whip Reggie or dive in the back of his legs like Williams did. Williams was able to reduce one of the greatest rushers of all time into a non-factor in the game.” —from article

Can we please have another bully that just doesn’t give a ****?
Reggie was a bad man. I remember that Thanksgiving game Larry Allen's rookie year where he was almost literally rag dolling him

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jimmy, like Erik, could beat a team before they even stepped on the field.

There was that mental psychological advantage he had.

And his Cowboys teams had real swag, the fear of the Cowboys reverberated to all the NFL Front Offices, it was not just on the field. When Jimmy left Cowboys, you could actually feel the entire NFL let out a sigh of relief.

Yep!

We're going to win the football game.

George Seifert couldn't believe Jimmy would say such a thing. And the normally calm Jerry Rice was so mad he started fighting Kevin Smith during pre-game warm ups. :laugh:

Jimmy was one trash talker. During half-time at the Super Bowl, Todd Christensen told Jimmy to remember what the Buffalo Bills did in coming back against the Houston Oilers. Jimmy just looks at him: "We're not Houston." :laugh:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I miss those days. I don't think we'll ever see them again because the league is all nice and respectful.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was gonna share a story about the time I had lunch with the big cat and he let me wear one of his SB rings. I was also gonna share that he is a very nice and humble person. I was also gonna say how excited I was to talk football and a little bit of business with him for a couple of hours and how I left thinking to myself.....this is a really good guy. I wanted to share that, but I won't, because the haters will come out and spew their crap and I'm not in the mood. So, I'll just keep it to myself. Salud!

CowboyMort

Reaction score
I gotta say that he was the first O-lineman that I would iso on during a game. After a while it became mesmerizing and I would watch more and more. I would have to go back and catch the rest of the game on my VHS (yes I am that old). He would just pound guys. It was amazing. Loved that guy.

Reactions: BAT

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Yep!

We're going to win the football game.

George Seifert couldn't believe Jimmy would say such a thing. And the normally calm Jerry Rice was so mad he started fighting Kevin Smith during pre-game warm ups. :laugh:

Jimmy was one trash talker. During half-time at the Super Bowl, Todd Christensen told Jimmy to remember what the Buffalo Bills did in coming back against the Houston Oilers. Jimmy just looks at him: "We're not Houston." :laugh:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I miss those days. I don't think we'll ever see them again because the league is all nice and respectful.

That was classic JJ on the Houston comments.

Captain Late

Reaction score
Big E was the "Baddest Cat" I've ever seen play.Intimidating,Physically Powerful,Mean and Dominant.Reggie White was his idol,yet he turned every matchup with him into a knock down street fight that he won.

White beat Erik for a Sack of Troy Aikman on the first Series of the 95 NFC Championship Game,but after that it was one of the most dominating and hard edged performances by an Offensive Lineman in NFL History.Ill bet White didn't make a single tackle or touch Aikman the rest of that Game.He took his Game to another Level that Day IMHO.

2 Teammates of Big E said it all-Darren Woodson and Michael Irvin stated that if He was out there for the 1994 NFC Championship Game at San Francisco,they go on to make history and "three-peat".And without that Car Wreck and Injuries,he walks into the NFL Hall Of Fame 5 Years After He Retires

Thomas82

Reaction score
He was the most dominant lineman In the league pre-accident. He’s the only man I ever saw that could handle Reggie White.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/reggie-white-s-nightmare-erik-williams-280076

“I remember White on the sideline talking about how Williams on the opening play hit him in his throat with his fist, or take his thumb and poke White in the eye blurring his vision. I had never seen a player leg whip Reggie or dive in the back of his legs like Williams did. Williams was able to reduce one of the greatest rushers of all time into a non-factor in the game.” —from article

Can we please have another bully that just doesn’t give a ****?

He used to routinely shut down a PRIME Reggie White!! That was amazing!! It's a shame that he was only at his best for a year and a half.