Video: Shout out to Erik Williams

Creeper

Reaction score
He was the most dominant lineman In the league pre-accident. He’s the only man I ever saw that could handle Reggie White.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/reggie-white-s-nightmare-erik-williams-280076

“I remember White on the sideline talking about how Williams on the opening play hit him in his throat with his fist, or take his thumb and poke White in the eye blurring his vision. I had never seen a player leg whip Reggie or dive in the back of his legs like Williams did. Williams was able to reduce one of the greatest rushers of all time into a non-factor in the game.” —from article

Can we please have another bully that just doesn’t give a ****?

It's unfortunate after his accident Williams started using a lot of unorthodox tactics to win his individual battles because prior to the accident he did it on pure ability. He got a reputation for being a dirty player but that came after he hurt his legs and couldn't move like he did prior to the accident. Sure he was mean when he put his helmet on, but that is not all he had as a player. Just remember, he stoned Reggie White when he played for the Eagles and the Packers.

Should be in NFL HOF too. Just as good at his position as TD was and for just as long. Terrel Davis that is

Not crazy about the clips of Williams again White in the video. If they looked they could have found much better ones that did not look like holding or like Williams was about to get beat. There were plays where Williams really dominated Reggie White, knocking him off balance and into the secondary. And it wasn't just a few plays. Williams stoned Reggie the entire game every time they played. He did the same thing to Michael Strahan who has also called Erik the toughest tackle he faced.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
John Madden said he played like a boxer, he reminded me of Art Shell of the Raiders. He brought an attitude and nastiness to that line, what a talent. He was the most dominant right tackle in the NFL for those few years.

Reactions: BAT

boysfanindc

Reaction score
EW and Larry Allen, we have had two of the badest of bad axxses of all time on our line.

Reactions: BAT

Plankton

Reaction score
I think but not 100% sure. Reggie White never got a sack when Erik Williams blocked him.

This isn't true. I know of at least one off the top of my head - White sacked Aikman on the Cowboys first possession in the 1996 NFC Championship Game to kill the drive.

Plankton

Reaction score
He had a club move on his blocking, as he swung his arm and hammered down on them as he got leverage on them. I think he broke a DK's leg from SF, or maybe he blew out the guys knee. Or he did both to different players. It was not a dirty hit, not at that time, just powerful, but who knows now. Maybe we would have an Erik Williams rule.
:laugh:

He blew out John Jurkovic's knee with a borderline dirty hit to the knee in the same championship game listed above. He also blew out Steve Emtman's knee in a game against the Colts in 1993. Williams blasted him so hard in the upper body that Emtman's knee caved in when it remained planted. Williams' power was awesome prior to the knee injury.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He blew out John Jurkovic's knee with a borderline dirty hit to the knee in the same championship game listed above. He also blew out Steve Emtman's knee in a game against the Colts in 1993. Williams blasted him so hard in the upper body that Emtman's knee caved in when it remained planted. Williams' power was awesome prior to the knee injury.

That was one that I was thinking of, from the Colts.
I forgot about the hit on Jukovic. Yeah he was pretty upset about that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Amazing player, and what a find in the draft. I agree with Woody, a Hall of Fame career derailed by the knee injury suffered in that car crash.
Without question.

It's such a shame thinking about what could have been. I'm convinced had Jimmy not left and had the Cowboys players been able to get and keep their act together on and off the field, we would have won 6 straight Super Bowls.

Neither the Packers nor the 49ers could beat us when Jimmy was here. Once Jimmy left, the decline began, and we let the Packers get back into the Super Bowl pack.

Ah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. :(

tyke1doe

Reaction score
100 pct agree. The injury stole a couple good seasons from him. His time was short in the league but nobody can deny his greatness. He played in an era of great DLineman and he dominated every one of them. Sure his career was cut short but when you face off and dominate Bruce Smith and Reggie White for years you are a HOFer. He must get in.

I think so too. If Terrell Davis can get in on an abbreviated team, surely Erik Williams should get in. I mean, come on, the legendary "Great Wall of Dallas" deserves one legacy member (Larry Allen came later) in the Hall of Fame.

Personally, I think Darren Woodson and Erik Williams will make it in at some point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without question.

It's such a shame thinking about what could have been. I'm convinced had Jimmy not left and had the Cowboys players been able to get and keep their act together on and off the field, we would have won 6 straight Super Bowls.

Neither the Packers nor the 49ers could beat us when Jimmy was here. Once Jimmy left, the decline began, and we let the Packers get back into the Super Bowl pack.

Ah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. :(

I think that 6 is pretty optimistic, but I think 4 in-a-row was doable. Even with the transition and player losses, they just missed that.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This isn't true. I know of at least one off the top of my head - White sacked Aikman on the Cowboys first possession in the 1996 NFC Championship Game to kill the drive.

Yeah, I'd love to go back and look at all their games because I wonder how much of this lore is influenced by John Madden gushing over Williams a time or two and then just becoming the over-arching truth because people want to believe it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think so too. If Terrell Davis can get in on an abbreviated team, surely Erik Williams should get in. I mean, come on, the legendary "Great Wall of Dallas" deserves one legacy member (Larry Allen came later) in the Hall of Fame.

Personally, I think Darren Woodson and Erik Williams will make it in at some point.

Good comp. Williams was a better player than Davis

joseephuss

Reaction score
Was Williams the lineman who pulled a muscle running onto the field during team introductions one game?

If Williams doesn't have that car accident in 94(I don't think Jimmy Johnson would have prevented that from occurring), then I think Larry Allen is starting at left tackle during the playoffs opposite of Williams. In my opinion, Tuinei was not good that season, but Allen had to start at right tackle with Williams out.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That was one that I was thinking of, from the Colts.
I forgot about the hit on Jukovic. Yeah he was pretty upset about that.
Also the guy from the 49ers in the 93 Championship game in Dallas, I believe it was Ted Washington, Williams took him out too.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He was the most dominant lineman In the league pre-accident. He’s the only man I ever saw that could handle Reggie White.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/reggie-white-s-nightmare-erik-williams-280076

“I remember White on the sideline talking about how Williams on the opening play hit him in his throat with his fist, or take his thumb and poke White in the eye blurring his vision. I had never seen a player leg whip Reggie or dive in the back of his legs like Williams did. Williams was able to reduce one of the greatest rushers of all time into a non-factor in the game.” —from article

Can we please have another bully that just doesn’t give a ****?
Handle????? He flat out kicked his ***. Let there be no doubt. Big E set the standard for what you're looking for in a right tackle. Problem is...they just don't make them like that anymore.