Show me, don’t tell me

T-RO

Reaction score
The relative age of the players is irrelevant. Players operate in short windows now and smart franchises realize that. Team leadership determines what a standard is.

Wrong. It matters a TON.

1-Young players are under contract for 3-5 yrs...and cost your cap less
2-Younger guys generally stay healthier
3- Younger guys are hungry to earn a big contract
4- Younger guys are risers; older players in decline

A team that goes 9-7 loaded with 1st and second year cats is far preferred over a 9-7 team loaded with aging vets and looming free agency.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
they win a few regular season games and most fans around here act like they won the superbowl they have won one wildcard playoff game under garrett until they have success in the playoffs they are just a mediocre group
Around here? This place is doom and gloom.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Wrong. It matters a TON.

1-Young players are under contract for 3-5 yrs...and cost your cap less
2-Younger guys generally stay healthier
3- Younger guys are hungry to earn a big contract
4- Younger guys are risers; older players in decline

A team that goes 9-7 loaded with 1st and second year cats is far preferred over a 9-7 team loaded with aging vets and looming free agency.
Amazingly, you completely missed my point.

By the time a young player figures out what is going on, they are headed into free agency. You have about three-four years to make an impact. If you hit it right, you get what the Seahawks rode for a while.

The sooner that NFL teams realize they are just extensions of a four year college program, the better off they will be.

If there is not an immediate and strong reminder that losing is unacceptable, they are not going to respond.

There is nothing wrong with a youth movement. In fact, I am kind of excited we have a young team that has some hope.

But if the message is lip service, they are not going to respond.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

By the time a young player figures out what is going on, they are headed into free agency. You have about three-four years to make an impact. If you hit it right, you get what the Seahawks rode for a while.

If there is not an immediate and strong reminder that losing is unacceptable, they are not going to respond.

There is nothing wrong with a youth movement. In fact, I am kind of excited we have a young team that has some hope.

I too am excited about the youth movement here. It’s doing it the right way. And we do have some good young talent on cheaper contracts. But as you said, that’s not all the equation.

I totally agree with what you said about the organization’s response to losing. If it becomes “acceptable” or excuses are offered to wink at failure, it creates a cultural problem. This lack of real accountability for failure is one of the foundational problems this team must overcome to win big again.

If Jerry were doing this right, he would have removed himself from GM position at some point because he obviously couldn’t get it done. That would have been an example of accountability. As owner, he could have (and should have) held himself, his VP and his HC accountable for continued failure to have success in the playoffs. That would have brought REAL accountability into the culture here. That’s the disease that keeps eating this organization up before a single game is played.

We can win with Jerry at the top. But it’s harder than it has to be to do it.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I love the Dallas Cowboys. Since my dad took me to my first game in 1964, the Cowboys remain the first sports team I think of as a sports fan. Winning another Super Bowl is what I can’t wait to see again. Seeing the Cowboys win a 6th Lombardi is my current dream.

My evolution as a Cowboys fan reached a simple yet straightforward new place about 10 years ago regarding this team’s spokespeople: Show me, don’t tell me. Talk is cheap. Results are all that matter in the end. Jerry Jones is a great salesman. But the only way he can sell me anything now is to show me he can win a championship again after two decades plus of on field mediocrity.

Do I believe the Cowboys CAN win it all this year? Yes I do. Do I believe this is a team that improved itself through the draft and FA this offseason? Yes I do. Do I believe this team WILL qualify for and win in the playoffs? I don’t know.

But here’s what I do believe- it’s time for this HC and the GM who hired him 8 years ago to show us that they can bring a championship back to Dallas after 23 years. Show us that the “investment” in Jason Garrett’s growth as an NFL head coach was worth it by winning something beyond a division. If he can’t cook now, after “buying all the groceries”, it’s time to find someone else who will.

As the new season approaches, I’m excited about the possibilities. BUT...Show us, don’t tell us.

I like the view point. I'm not so sure that Dallas is good enough for a Championship this year. It all depends on Dak, if he can look like 2016 Dak, then anything is possible. I'd be happy enough if they get into the playoffs and do well this year.

T-RO

Reaction score

The sooner that NFL teams realize they are just extensions of a four year college program, the better off they will be.

You wrote, “The relative age of the players is irrelevant.“ I don’t see what I missed.

As for it taking 3, 4 years to make an impact...again this seems askew. Dak was top-10 QB his first year...and that’s the position where grooming takes the longest. We’ve seen a lot of great QB play around the league even in year 1.

The majority of players that are any good are making an impact their first year...or in their second.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I too am excited about the youth movement here. It’s doing it the right way. And we do have some good young talent on cheaper contracts. But as you said, that’s not all the equation.

I totally agree with what you said about the organization’s response to losing. If it becomes “acceptable” or excuses are offered to wink at failure, it creates a cultural problem. This lack of real accountability for failure is one of the foundational problems this team must overcome to win big again.

If Jerry were doing this right, he would have removed himself from GM position at some point because he obviously couldn’t get it done. That would have been an example of accountability. As owner, he could have (and should have) held himself, his VP and his HC accountable for continued failure to have success in the playoffs. That would have brought REAL accountability into the culture here. That’s the disease that keeps eating this organization up before a single game is played.

We can win with Jerry at the top. But it’s harder than it has to be to do it.

Like I have said before The Cowboys are Jerrys hobby and he dosent care how unqualified he is as a GM or Garrett is as a gameday coach . He dosent care how many players careers he wastes , how many fans he disappoints .

All he cares about is that it is fun and exciting for him and that he gets full credit if we do hit the perfect storm . It is no fun for him to just throw a ton of money at qualified people , let them do there jobs and build the team in a logical way and be able to compete for a championship every 5 to 8 yrs .

He has to build it and it seems the worse he is at it the more stubborn he is to try and get it right . The more he fails the bigger the challenge to get back on top . He is addicted to the rush of running everything . To sit in his box and have no control while someone else called all the shots and was successful would kill him at this point.

As tough a pill as it is to swallow Jerry is going to finish the game he started and he will finish it with the unqualified people he has hand picked along with whatever injured or dysfunctional players he has taken chances on to validate his football IQ

Im making it easy on myself . My expectations are never more than hoping the Oline is healthy and we have a power running game . This gives me some very good football to watch till we get out coached at the end . This is all we really have the rest of the league is never going to lower itself to Jerrys team building level so we can win a championship .

The other owners are just not that charitable no matter how many years Jerry struggles along

Other owners pay competent people to do the important football oriented jobs because winning is whats important to them not making sure they themselves or one of there family have there DNA on every decision.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Its like should we hope McCarthy says to Rodgers Hey don't keep snapping the ball when they have too many men on the field . They have only had one extra week to prepare and Jerry hasn't won squat in 25 yrs . Give them a chance . Or maybe hey guys jump off sides Garrett just Iced his own kicker and he might need to be closer . LOLOL

That's about what has to happen for us to get to a Superbowl let alone win one . Sorry I don't mean to be a jack *** but we are not even close coaching wise in this league to compete for a championship.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All or Nothing was fantastically well done, but it didn't serve the Joneses well.

Ellie Mae, Jed, and Jethro right there at the table.

One day Jed was out shootin' at some food, and up from the ground came a bubblin' crude.

And they've parked that jalopy out front and have been living in our neighborhood ever since.
From Day 1 on 2-25-1989 my group of core Diehards nicknamed Jerry “Jethro” from the Beverly Hillbillies.

Just love this Erod!! You’re one of my favorites reads!

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm in stasis. My juices for this team have stopped pumping. I'm almost emotionless. Sad. Jerry took a diehard fan and turned him into a cynical lump. I'm waiting for the time when I'm turned back into a yelling screaming zealot. I do see some hope. Still, in stasis.
Yes sir!! That’s what happens when you go from a perineal contender to a pretender. You expect the worse and hope for the best.

I’ve been doing it for over 50 years with my Alma Mater but didn’t expect this apathetic mentality for our Cowboys. But after 20+ years it’s definitely settling in. It’s taken some of the luster out of following them but I still love my football.

Thank goodness there’s still other good football to watch. The Cowboys have almost become like that game I have to watch but not the most enjoyable game each week. Hard to believe I’m even muttering those words. Thanks Jethro!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Like I have said before The Cowboys are Jerrys hobby and he dosent care how unqualified he is as a GM or Garrett is as a gameday coach . He dosent care how many players careers he wastes , how many fans he disappoints .

All he cares about is that it is fun and exciting for him and that he gets full credit if we do hit the perfect storm . It is no fun for him to just throw a ton of money at qualified people , let them do there jobs and build the team in a logical way and be able to compete for a championship every 5 to 8 yrs .

He has to build it and it seems the worse he is at it the more stubborn he is to try and get it right . The more he fails the bigger the challenge to get back on top . He is addicted to the rush of running everything . To sit in his box and have no control while someone else called all the shots and was successful would kill him at this point.

As tough a pill as it is to swallow Jerry is going to finish the game he started and he will finish it with the unqualified people he has hand picked along with whatever injured or dysfunctional players he has taken chances on to validate his football IQ

Im making it easy on myself . My expectations are never more than hoping the Oline is healthy and we have a power running game . This gives me some very good football to watch till we get out coached at the end . This is all we really have the rest of the league is never going to lower itself to Jerrys team building level so we can win a championship .

The other owners are just not that charitable no matter how many years Jerry struggles along

Other owners pay competent people to do the important football oriented jobs because winning is whats important to them not making sure they themselves or one of there family have there DNA on every decision.
All true!!

The saddest part to me is we have provided him whether it’s directly or indirectly a seal of approval to continue his ways becoming the wealthiest sports franchise on the planet which means there’s no chance it ever changes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love the Dallas Cowboys. Since my dad took me to my first game in 1964, the Cowboys remain the first sports team I think of as a sports fan. Winning another Super Bowl is what I can’t wait to see again. Seeing the Cowboys win a 6th Lombardi is my current dream.

My evolution as a Cowboys fan reached a simple yet straightforward new place about 10 years ago regarding this team’s spokespeople: Show me, don’t tell me. Talk is cheap. Results are all that matter in the end. Jerry Jones is a great salesman. But the only way he can sell me anything now is to show me he can win a championship again after two decades plus of on field mediocrity.

Do I believe the Cowboys CAN win it all this year? Yes I do. Do I believe this is a team that improved itself through the draft and FA this offseason? Yes I do. Do I believe this team WILL qualify for and win in the playoffs? I don’t know.

But here’s what I do believe- it’s time for this HC and the GM who hired him 8 years ago to show us that they can bring a championship back to Dallas after 23 years. Show us that the “investment” in Jason Garrett’s growth as an NFL head coach was worth it by winning something beyond a division. If he can’t cook now, after “buying all the groceries”, it’s time to find someone else who will.

As the new season approaches, I’m excited about the possibilities. BUT...Show us, don’t tell us.
Us old fans who grew up with one of the best ran respectable football franchises still are holding onto what we used to love. This current model is only an Iconic remembrance of what we fell in love with.

The only reason we still cling on is because we still love football , they’re our local team we grew up with and we’re loyal by nature.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Us old fans who grew up with one of the best ran respectable football franchises still are holding onto what we used to love. This current model is only an Iconic remembrance of what we fell in love with.

The only reason we still cling on is because we still love football , they’re our local team we grew up with and we’re loyal by nature.
Local team? Is this where you suggest location of the fan matters?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Awesome post Mr Bob. There is a big difference between "can" and "will", "could" and "would".

You are bang on:hammer:. Enuff talk let's ge 'er done. I wish you continued joy in the Cowboys

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

If I could like this post more than once, I would

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Until the Lombardi is hoisted again the fan base will be stuck in this saharan dust cloud of confusion. I get the optimism I'm excited as all get out as we embark on another season....but you can't discount the yoyo this organization has become. Talk will always be nothing more than recycled air...it's time for results and I want to see cowboys fingerprints all over that trophy. So I am optimistic but I am sitting here patiently waiting for some real results.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This franchise has been all hat and no cattle for 20 years. P.T. Barnum and his circus tent full of clowns.

Jerry watches his Cowboys and Razorbacks replicate each other season after season.

I hear the Rawhide tune but with Rollin replaced by Trollin.

Trollin' trollin' trollin'
Rawhide
Keep trollin', trollin', trollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies rollin', rawhide
Through rain and wind and weather
Hell bent for leather
Wishin' my gal was by my side
All the things I'm missin'
Good vittles, love and kissin'
Are waiting at the end of my ride
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up, rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, rawhide
Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies movin', rawhide
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope 'em, throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be livin' high and wide
My heart's calculatin'
My true…

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
LMAO.. like Jerry's clone daughter would be any better.. "Jerry as a woman".

tdy_jenna_jones_160519.jpg