Showers passes through waivers unclaimed, expected to rejoin practice squad

Nirvana

Reaction score

DramaticClap.gif

Cowboys22

Reaction score
There are a lot of people that said he would never make it through unclaimed. Of course they won't show up in this thread.

We hear it every year about 3-4 players from a bunch of posters and every single one slides right through to the practice squad. A guys makes one good play and that's it, you have to put him on the 53 or lose him. Some people just have no clue how precious roster spots are and how bad it has to be to take a player who has been with another team all offseason and got cut and put him on your 53. It just doesn't happen that much to be worried about every single player that ever makes a halfway decent play.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's the point of him developing on the practice squad? Probably so we don't have to trade for a Matt Cassel or waste money on a Kyle Orton down the road.

If we're not going to play him, effectively, as our QB4 (Romo, Moore, Prescott) in year two, we're going to make him our QB2 in, what, year three? Four? Why not just add the next Sanchez next year if we need another one and use the PS spot for a DL or another S?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we're not going to play him, effectively, as our QB4 (Romo, Moore, Prescott) in year two, we're going to make him our QB2 in, what, year three? Four? Why not just add the next Sanchez next year if we need another one and use the PS spot for a DL or another S?

Because Sanchez is not a very good qb and the only reason we got him is because he's what's left in a small market. And what do you mean play him? He's a backup. I don't understand how this is a bad thing?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because Sanchez is not a very good qb and the only reason we got him is because he's what's left in a small market. And what do you mean play him? He's a backup. I don't understand how this is a bad thing?

Either Sanchez is a pretty good candidate for your QB3, in which case there's no point in developing Showers for that role if he's not better than what's available on the street at the last minute, or Sanchez is a bad candidate for your QB3, and Showers still wasn't able to beat him out despite knowing the offense and getting a heavy dose of reps in camp. Either way, how much does Jamiel have to develop just to get to a point where he can make the roster? Quite a bit.

If we hit on Dak, we don't need a third spot for a young developing guy anymore. We need a vet in that spot until Romo gets back, and then we don't need to waste a roster spot on a third QB at all.

kevm3

Reaction score
Dwayne Harris made it through waivers and he had a ton of talent, so him not being claimed means little. I'm just hoping he shows something so we don't have to waste more picks, whether through a trade or the draft, looking for a backup QB.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I didn't see as much improvement as I hoped to see. Is the team really anticipating him becoming a viable #2 in a few years?

Would have rather see Matt Barkley, Jake Coker, Kevin Hogan, or Jeff Driskel on the PS.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Either Sanchez is a pretty good candidate for your QB3, in which case there's no point in developing Showers for that role if he's not better than what's available on the street at the last minute, or Sanchez is a bad candidate for your QB3, and Showers still wasn't able to beat him out despite knowing the offense and getting a heavy dose of reps in camp. Either way, how much does Jamiel have to develop just to get to a point where he can make the roster? Quite a bit.

If we hit on Dak, we don't need a third spot for a young developing guy anymore. We need a vet in that spot until Romo gets back, and then we don't need to waste a roster spot on a third QB at all.

Sanchez is a vet. Showers is a project. Sanchez is not very good. Showers is not very good. Showers may be better next year. Sanchez will still be bad.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dwayne Harris made it through waivers and he had a ton of talent, so him not being claimed means little. I'm just hoping he shows something so we don't have to waste more picks, whether through a trade or the draft, looking for a backup QB.
People want to forget that.