Showers passes through waivers unclaimed, expected to rejoin practice squad

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Just saying he is a great athlete and could fill the role of Scout team mobile QB when needed twice a year....... not a good reason to keep Showers, even though he is also a good athlete

He is already on Ravens PS

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Keenan Reynolds can't throw.
that wasn't what was being discussed......someone said to keep Showers because he runs the Scout team and can simulate a running QB......I said what about the other 95% of the time when we need to scout teams that have a QB that can throw...... if we just wanted a mobile QB for some practices I said go after Reynolds who can fill in good enough for practice but could play other positions...too bad he already went back to BAL's PS

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I am glad to hear Showers is still a cowboy. He never had a good chance this off season.

He had about as good of a chance as he was going to get.

He got a lot of reps with Prescott since Romo was taking days off.

And he got a whole preseason game to prove he could play in this league and didn't exactly pass the test.

Kaiser

Reaction score
There are a lot of people that said he would never make it through unclaimed. Of course they won't show up in this thread.

I thought he would make the 53, I'll raise my hand and say I was wrong. But I never said he would "never make it through" waivers and don't remember any else saying that either. Also he was waived when teams had already set their rosters, fewer players get claimed at that point.

Also the other side of the coin is true also, for all the people saying he is garbage - why did the team put him on the Practice Squad? If he was as bad as some here say, he wouldn't have been picked for the PS.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Either Sanchez is a pretty good candidate for your QB3, in which case there's no point in developing Showers for that role if he's not better than what's available on the street at the last minute, or Sanchez is a bad candidate for your QB3, and Showers still wasn't able to beat him out despite knowing the offense and getting a heavy dose of reps in camp. Either way, how much does Jamiel have to develop just to get to a point where he can make the roster? Quite a bit.

Why wouldn't you take the time to develop a PS Quarterback? Showers clearly improved over last year, he could take another leap in play with another year of coaching.

And Sanchez is on a one year contract, plus Romo is Romo. If Romo is hurt next year and someone offers Sanchez more money than we want to spend, we are right back out there looking for backup QBs. Why wouldn't spend the pennies it takes to keep Showers on the PS on the chance that scenario happens?

I'm not saying Showers is the answer obviously, I'm saying there are zero reasons to stop the process with him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
BTW, is it me or does it seem like NFL teams are claiming other team's players a lot less? It seemed like there used to be a ton more roster churn, its almost like there is a handshake deal to do less of it.

There also seems to be more of teams bringing in athletes that need a ton of development time (like Gathers and Andy Jones) on the idea you will have the Practice Squad year to coach them up.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
What's the point, really?
I agree, the dude aint going to get any better and the team probably knows it. Why do you think they were having him play safety last year on the practice squad?

I cant believe there were some posters here that actually thought another team was going to claim him and put him on their 53........LOL

Other teams watch tape also.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
There are a lot of people that said he would never make it through unclaimed. Of course they won't show up in this thread.
Maybe I didn't see the post or your conversation with others but I don't think the majority felt that way with Showers. Most fans in the site didn't want him on the active roster and most said he needed another year in the practice squad.

Again not saying they didn't say that I haven't seen all the post

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Either Sanchez is a pretty good candidate for your QB3, in which case there's no point in developing Showers for that role if he's not better than what's available on the street at the last minute, or Sanchez is a bad candidate for your QB3, and Showers still wasn't able to beat him out despite knowing the offense and getting a heavy dose of reps in camp. Either way, how much does Jamiel have to develop just to get to a point where he can make the roster? Quite a bit.

If we hit on Dak, we don't need a third spot for a young developing guy anymore. We need a vet in that spot until Romo gets back, and then we don't need to waste a roster spot on a third QB at all.
If you go to 2 QBs on the 53, then you need 1 like Showers on the practice squad.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Good. He's got workable tools. It's just a shame they've brought in one of the worst quarterbacks in the league in Sanchez to act as a progress stopper.

I agree as a starting QB he leaves lots to be desired, as a backup he can provide that coverage that Showers or others of his talent cannot provide. He was not brought here to start, we have a rookie starting QB and we needed a vet in the house behind him and during practice. The cupboards were bare for vet QB's in the talent pool of available players. I am surprised we got him so quickly, like some of the journalist speculated this happened fast. He will soon be the third string QB if all goes according to Hoyle in mid October. He lacks the one thing Dak has and that is calmness in the face of adversity, this guy started for the Jets for a couple of years and helped them to a playoff spot.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I agree as a starting QB he leaves lots to be desired, as a backup he can provide that coverage that Showers or others of his talent cannot provide. He was not brought here to start, we have a rookie starting QB and we needed a vet in the house behind him and during practice. The cupboards were bare for vet QB's in the talent pool of available players. I am surprised we got him so quickly, like some of the journalist speculated this happened fast. He will soon be the third string QB if all goes according to Hoyle in mid October. He lacks the one thing Dak has and that is calmness in the face of adversity, this guy started for the Jets for a couple of years and helped them to a playoff spot.

That defense helped the Jets to the playoffs.