SI, Andrew Brandt: Elite QBs should not take less money to help their team

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're not making sense bro. There is a salary cap in play. Very simple math to understand. Only so much of the pie available every year. How you slice up that pie and distribute it to as many key players is the difference between keeping a playoff team intact or just fielding a team for show.
I’m well aware of how the salary cap works. You’re missing my point.

Basically what I’m saying is you wouldn’t have to worry about Daks cap hit if you didn’t waste money on Zeke, Jaylon and Lael. These people have brainwashed y’all into thinking there is this “pie” that can only be cut a certain way. Meanwhile a guy like Howie Roseman has shown you how to cut this pie differently but you refuse to because of your archaic opinions. I’d rather have my quarterback count 25 percent against my cap then have Zeke, Collins and Jaylon doubt for 25 percent of it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This doesn't apply to Dak since he isn't elite. Just average/slightly above average.
giphy.gif

Big_D

Reaction score

Basically what I’m saying is you wouldn’t have to worry about Daks cap hit if you didn’t waste money on Zeke, Jaylon and Lael. These people have brainwashed y’all into thinking there is this “pie” that can only be cut a certain way. Meanwhile a guy like Howie Roseman has shown you how to cut this pie differently but you refuse to because of your archaic opinions. I’d rather have my quarterback count 25 percent against my cap then have Zeke, Collins and Jaylon doubt for 25 percent of it.
QBs are getting paid in the NFL. You definitely have to be much wiser in every other area considering that.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Jordan did not take less. One of the problems they had with keeping the team together was he wanted a raise and they could not fit it under the cap. Jordan took every cent he could. The only high level player basically ever to take less was Brady and if you can just find a wife who will make double what you do no matter what then I suspect taking less will not be a big deal.
Wrong. Wrong. And wrong. Jordan would have played the game for $1.
If he could play you for your $1.

The bulls ownership and GM are second dumbest ever only to Jerry.

Jimmy should have won 5-8 rings with Dallas and same for Jackson with Bulls.

Bagman

Reaction score
Im not quite understanding the "less" part. Sure $40 million is technically less than $50 million a year. But these guys aren't qualifying for food stamps if they take less. It should be more the point....do the teams OFFER less. If a player NEEDS or DEMANDS more than $40 million a year, screw him. Manage your finances better. Theres 52 other guys in that locker room that want their share too. Dallas has a cap and always spends to its limit by years end, so its not like they are saving it for the yacht. They are splitting it up 53 ways. More for 1 guy means less for others.

Mannix

Reaction score
I don;'t agree with guys having to take less honestly. I would never do it. Why? Because these GM's have proven to be incompetent. Why would I take a pay cut for you to give it to Jaylon Smith, Zeke and La'el Collins? What sense does that make? Or for you to spend it on a Nolan Carroll?
Thank you for keeping my constant Nolan Carroll references alive.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

You're crazy if you truly believe you can field a playoff talented team and keep it intact if you're willing to pay your QB up to 25% of your team's salary cap. There is no way you will be able to maintain a playoff capable team, much less be talented enough to reach a championship game, if you agree to pay that much to any QB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You the fool. This really isn't a question. Brady wasn't making market money and he easily could have demanded more.

bradyMoney.png
This is a huge reason why Brady and his teams were able to win 7 Super Bowls. All thanks to Tom Brady willing to get give his team huge discounts in order to keep other key SB talented players around him. It's amazing how so many here would prefer the Cowboys pay their QB up to 25% of the team's cap money instead of being able to keep a deep playoffs capable talent together.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The writer is talking out both sides of his mouth. With QBs getting more and more guarantees exactly how do you make sure they take up less cap but make more money. If a QB is getting 75-100% guaranteed (Cousins) they will always take up an exorbitant percentage of the cap. Other positions are fast approaching the same conundrum. The huge guarantees are starting to go into #1 drafted QBs of yesteryear ( Jamarcus Russell).

Adreme

Reaction score
Wrong. Wrong. And wrong. Jordan would have played the game for $1.
If he could play you for your $1.

The bulls ownership and GM are second dumbest ever only to Jerry.

Jimmy should have won 5-8 rings with Dallas and same for Jackson with Bulls.
Except he didnt. He was the highest paid player in the NBA and wanted a significant raise. So your argument does not hold up against reality because it turns out what he was paid is public record so you are either misinformed or simply lying about what is public record. Jordan never took less. It simply did not happen.

Adreme

Reaction score
The writer is talking out both sides of his mouth. With QBs getting more and more guarantees exactly how do you make sure they take up less cap but make more money. If a QB is getting 75-100% guaranteed (Cousins) they will always take up an exorbitant percentage of the cap. Other positions are fast approaching the same conundrum. The huge guarantees are starting to go into #1 drafted QBs of yesteryear ( Jamarcus Russell).
You basically use void years and push the cap hits down the road. Its basically how Hurts has these miniscule cap hits for the next few years despite being the 2nd highest paid player in the NFL

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You basically use void years and push the cap hits down the road. Its basically how Hurts has these miniscule cap hits for the next few years despite being the 2nd highest paid player in the NFL
You can, however, you have to pay it at some time. Dak's Prorated Bonus' Void Years ($60m +) are going to mean we aren't able to work around the 'cheap'initial years on the contract, add the fact that we aren't paying the 30 year old Dak a seven year contract (like Hurts) will mean the annual CAP hit is going to be highly inflated from what the Eagles are paying.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
When you are playing catch up to the NBA and MLB, it would be hard for me to take less. NFL is not for National Football League it is Not For Long. Having seen the league close up with my brother playing for 7 years, it would be a hard no, not taking less.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
When you are playing catch up to the NBA and MLB, it would be hard for me to take less. NFL is not for National Football League it is Not For Long. Having seen the league close up with my brother playing for 7 years, it would be a hard no, not taking less.
Oh yea, the decision is going to be whether he/the contract is value for money and whether we can build a team around him.
Last year were prove it years for Dak/CeeDee and Diggs, where they could step up and warrant the next contracts...CeeDee passed the test, Diggs is jury out (teams went CB2), with Dak he'll need to prove that he can step up when he's needed.