SI: Are the Cowboys Super Bowl contenders?

starfan1

Reaction score
Sure we are a SB contender whether or not we get there is another story. This business about the AFC being so much better than the NFC is really an abhoration. I think the NFC has some dang good teams. The AFC has the chiefs and bengals a gap then everyone else.

On a given week you can get a great performance from any given team in AFC such as Miami,San Diego,,New england etc.

The NFC has 3 teams in the east that made playoffs last year and 4th in washington that arguably if they had a better QB situation wed be thinking different. The NFC west has 3 team that I anticipate competing for title this year. The NFC South is garbage and the North is unknown at the moment but if I were going to bet Id go with the packers or Vikes But its just week 1.

I dont think that that the AFC has the a big edge this year

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If time has taught me nothing else with this team, it's to temper expectations to avoid disappointment. Every year is our year until it isn't.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm so tired of thinking this team is Super Bowl bound, only to be disappointed in the playoffs. Right now the only question I care about is the Jets game -- can they find a way to win it? I think they can. Either way, next week the only thing I'm concerned about is whomever they play next. If they make it to the Super Bowl, THEN I'll get excited and hope they can win it.
Right. These exercises are futile. A whole bunch can and will happen before we have a chance to reach that point. There are reasons to be excited about this team, but I'm excited for the next game, not nearly four months from now.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smart post for a bot. This gives you two options:

1 - if Dallas wins the Super Bowl, it's because of the defense
2 - if Dallas only goes to the NFCCG, Dak's a failure, regardless of context.

Great job laying the groundwork for your 10,000 posts in 2024.
Enjoy your 7 days.................. o_O
Then again who knows right???? :muttley:

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes, they are a contender. Their best team in decades. Enjoy the ride.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
NFCCG won't cut it (esp in the weak NFC) as with this Defense it's Superbowl or BUST!!!!!
NFC isn’t weak at the top end…
49ers are the best team in the league imo, and the Cowboys and Eagles aren’t far behind them.
It trails off after that, but the AFC has teams that are maybe not as strong as thought previously… Bills and Bengals for example.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
It's possible, but so is winning the lottery. My guarded heart is fully prepared for disappointment. Also, I love ribs.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are probably right from a fan perspective but I'm confident Jerry will extend both Dak and MM with a NFCCG appearance.
Anyone that says SB or bust, is setting himself up for disappointment. Some think it's easy and expected. Many, many, many stars need to align for any team to win a championship.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFC isn’t weak at the top end…
49ers are the best team in the league imo, and the Cowboys and Eagles aren’t far behind them.
It trails off after that, but the AFC has teams that are maybe not as strong as thought previously… Bills and Bengals for example.
We will know what caliber of Team and esp the offense we have (as it's our Achilles heel in the last 2 playoff losses) after we play teams like the Jets,Fins,Niners,Eagles,Bills.
Beating the Giants says a big fat 0 in the total scheme of things.
Let's be honest here the only reason we haven't been to an NFCCG the last 2 years is our offense!!!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Honestly, I like a poster said in another thread if this is not the year we can't at least play in the NFCCG.......

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/11/cowboys-defense-super-bowl-contenders

This Might Finally Be the Cowboys’ Year​

Dallas displayed a downright scary defense against the Giants on Sunday night, raising the ceiling for what Dak Prescott, Mike McCarthy & Co. can accomplish.

Stupid article, counting the chickens before they hatch, yeah, that's the ticket.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This team is in the mix, to suggest otherwise is ignorant.

No, it's ignorant to think that after winning one game, they are SB contenders. Not that I hope this happens, but if they lose to the Jets then all this crap about a SB will be reversed and posters will be crying about how bad the Cowboys looked while losing to the Jets. It's to freaking early in the season for this crap.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
We will know what caliber of Team and esp the offense we have (as it's our Achilles heel in the last 2 playoff losses) after we play teams like the Jets,Fins,Niners,Eagles,Bills.
Beating the Giants says a big fat 0 in the total scheme of things.
Let's be honest here the only reason we haven't been to an NFCCG the last 2 years is our offense!!!
The last two years yes, but going back to the two defeats against Green Bay in the playoffs, they were both on our defence.
Hopefully this time we are a better team all around.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No, it's ignorant to think that after winning one game, they are SB contenders. Not that I hope this happens, but if they lose to the Jets then all this crap about a SB will be reversed and posters will be crying about how bad the Cowboys looked while losing to the Jets. It's to freaking early in the season for this crap.
They won 12 games last season and added Gilmore and Cooks. It is ridiculous to think they are not one of the top teams in the NFC.

It doesn't mean they will win the Super Bowl but it does mean they will be in the mix.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
They won 12 games last season and added Gilmore and Cooks. It is ridiculous to think they are not one of the top teams in the NFC.

It doesn't mean they will win the Super Bowl but it does mean they will be in the mix.

Not yet they aren't. You better hope for no injuries to important positions on the team to make you rah rah claim, until then, no they are just another team trying to win a SB, but they are not in contention as of yet. Shake them pom poms if you like.