Twitter: SI Breer and Spotrac comment on Dak's 2021 contract

Flamma

Reaction score
The decision to let Dak walk or not has to happen before he even plays another down of football. He may not even be done healing from the injury if the more conservative timetable of six months holds. The tag allows the Cowboys to keep his rights, and see him in the offseason program while negotiating a new deal. The tag is also prove it deal for those who want to see Dak in live games before giving him a big contract.

My opinion is solely based on him playing on another tag, not getting tagged and working out a deal. That said, yeah, there are multiple reasons players play on the tag, once. There is no reason for Dak to play on the tag again. Do they want the QB or not? There's nothing else to see.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
My opinion is solely based on him playing on another tag, not getting tagged and working out a deal. That said, yeah, there are multiple reasons players play on the tag, once. There is no reason for Dak to play on the tag again. Do they want the QB or not? There's nothing else to see.

The Cowboys could want to see if he holds up under real football games before giving him a long term deal. Even if they don't want Dak, it makes sense to tag him so they can trade him. I think that could possibly happen if they have the opportunity to draft a top qb.

I think the chance of Dak playing on the second tag is higher than it was before the injury. Had he played a full season I think a deal would have likely gotten done, with the franchise tag as a contingency for the team. Now I think getting the tag is basically a certainty, and almost certainly playing on it (whether in Dallas or another team through a trade). The only way that doesn't happen is if the Cowboys just have faith that Dak can play the same without getting to see it first.

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Those are not Jerry’s mail goals. He cares about wins and such, but it’s down a bit on the priority scale. That Forbes value list, and the operating revenue, dwarf everything else. Dak sells jerseys and is marketable. We’ve stunk for 20 years and value keeps going up. Dak stays.

Yeah, because there is a big difference in having $6B versus $5B :rolleyes: Not that I would know. However, I can tell you from personal experience there is no difference between having $60K vs $50K or $600K vs $500K. It has absolutely no meaning or bearing on one's happiness.

Jerry has already said there is no telling how much money he would spend to get a super bowl victory. The cap is the equalizer in the NFL.

And, no, we have not stunk for the past 20 years. True, we have not won a super bowl in the last 20+ years, but the teams have been pretty good overall.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys could want to see if he holds up under real football games before giving him a long term deal. Even if they don't want Dak, it makes sense to tag him so they can trade him. I think that could possibly happen if they have the opportunity to draft a top qb.

I think the chance of Dak playing on the second tag is higher than it was before the injury. Had he played a full season I think a deal would have likely gotten done, with the franchise tag as a contingency for the team. Now I think getting the tag is basically a certainty, and almost certainly playing on it (whether in Dallas or another team through a trade). The only way that doesn't happen is if the Cowboys just have faith that Dak can play the same without getting to see it first.

Most of these reasons I can agree with. But I still think it is a longshot. Especially when the cap is going to be lowered.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Yeah, because there is a big difference in having $6B versus $5B :rolleyes: Not that I would know. However, I can tell you from personal experience there is no difference between having $60K vs $50K or $600K vs $500K. It has absolutely no meaning or bearing on one's happiness.

Jerry has already said there is no telling how much money he would spend to get a super bowl victory. The cap is the equalizer in the NFL.

And, no, we have not stunk for the past 20 years. True, we have not won a super bowl in the last 20+ years, but the teams have been pretty good overall.

For billionaires, yes, there's a HUGE difference. It's not money, it a scoreboard. Similar to an athlete who takes 58M instead of 52M. It's the same to us, way more than you'll ever need. If you don't think Jerry is primarily motivated by the money and his ego, you're kidding yourself.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Most of these reasons I can agree with. But I still think it is a longshot. Especially when the cap is going to be lowered.

Yep, with the reduced CAP, we have reportedly $40m to spend in 2021. Tagging Dak (even transitional) is a massive gamble, especially as the elephant in the room isnt going to be addressed.

I'd love to see the magician that transforms our defense on $3m (whilst needing 2-DT's, a DE, 2-LB's and 2 Safeties).

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep, with the reduced CAP, we have reportedly $40m to spend in 2021. Tagging Dak (even transitional) is a massive gamble, especially as the elephant in the room isnt going to be addressed.

I'd love to see the magician that transforms our defense on $3m (whilst needing 2-DT's, a DE, 2-LB's and 2 Safeties).

All tags cost the exact same when tagged a 2nd time. So it's 37 million regardless of the tag. As far as the defense goes, it's probably more a scheme/coaching issue than it is talent. Although talent is part of it, they're not this bad in talent. I posted a short 5 minute video in the thread there is not easy fix, or something to that effect. It kind of goes over the problem.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just a guess but I think Dak is more likely to win a $35 mil, than a $37 mil contract. Ya gotta face it -- he's a far bigger risk, now! :grin:

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
I've always been on the fence with 40 million per year. Dak has always imo been a good qb. I just wasn't sure he was 40 mpy good.

I think its very optimistic to believe we can let Dak go and simply replace him with equal or better production. I remember all to well the QC, Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Ryan Leaf, Testaverde days. They were no fun at all.

Maybe, maybe, maybe if Dalton comes in here and looks ridunkulous we let Dak go, but even then Ill be hesitant. Dak is imo getting better as the years go by. He's checked a lot of the boxes his critics said he couldn't as time has gone on.

Id much prefer to get Dak at 35 mpy or less and find a way to get rid of all the dead weight on this team.

When I look at all the money being wasted on Crawford for example it makes me shake my head that a few million a year will lead us right back to the QB drawing board.

I cant believe how quickly our plethora of cap has come and gone.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He will be tagged to start off I think, but this injury will not stop a deal my man lol
I do not see him not getting a deal.

I do see him not getting the deal he was going to get.

B/w his injury and the cap shrinking..

it will be a lesser deal now.

And now having lost him for a season..

We do not need to press for the 5 year contract.

We can do 4 years and move forward.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
They already cleared the cap space to give Dak the franchise tag next year when they restructured D Law and Zack Martin. The only way they won't have the space is if the salary cap goes down due to COVID but that would be catastrophic for half the teams in the league. Most likely they will borrow against future cap increases to keep the salary cap the same.
Yes, horrible timing to be betting on yourself and destroying your ankle.
Devastating loss for Dak and his agent.. bad day at the craps table.

Loso86

Reaction score
I do not see him not getting a deal.

I do see him not getting the deal he was going to get.

B/w his injury and the cap shrinking..

it will be a lesser deal now.

And now having lost him for a season..

We do not need to press for the 5 year contract.

We can do 4 years and move forward.
I honestly don't see a decrease in what he would have gotten anyway

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They already cleared the cap space to give Dak the franchise tag next year when they restructured D Law and Zack Martin. The only way they won't have the space is if the salary cap goes down due to COVID but that would be catastrophic for half the teams in the league. Most likely they will borrow against future cap increases to keep the salary cap the same.

Bingo.... but which of the years are we going to borrow against, our CAP situation doesnt get any better in 2022 and 2023.

Restructuring only goes so far.... if we start restructuring Zeke and Amari then we wont have sufficient to extend Gallup and Pollard. Who's left Collins and Smith, both injury concerns.

All this and we havent mentioned the defense.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Some soft tissue with the tendons. May be nerve damage as well.
I get a laugh out of people quoting sources supposedly report everything is good with Dak.

He just had a major surgery on his right ankle and they have no concept about the road ahead for Dak.

Dak is in for a lot of good days and bad days..sometimes on the same day. The first time he steps on his ankle he will think a rattlesnake bit him.

His legs will atrophy and lose 50 % of his leg strength from inactivity. Then the daily grind to get threw the swelling and discomfort he will endure.

Then the triple workouts on his legs to get the endurance back. It will be a miracle if he does not reinjure the ankle and have to take some time off to let things settle.

Then start all over again.

I know what is ahead for Dak. I have suffered back and leg injuries and it's a hellish thing to go thru.

I think eventually he will come back but how soon and how well we shall see.

By no means is it a given he will be the same. I believe Joe Theisman had a similar injury and he retired.

Dak is younger than Joe was and he has more time to work thru it. But I think people who just think Dak will come back as the QB who left are going to be disappointed possibly.

The Cowboys know it. Dak does to.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
By no means is it a given he will be the same. I believe Joe Theisman had a similar injury and he retired.

Theisman was a clear break of the fibia and tibia. Two broken long bones. That very likely did all sorts of bad things to the muscle itself.

Dak's issue seems more like that of Hurns, who came back and played last year, and as a WR.

I don't think the prognosis is as grim for Dak as it was for Theisman. My recollection is of *no* discussion of Theisman coming back. He was considered done.

Dak won't have a picnic, but he's got infinite money for his rehab, which I assume you did not. I think more likely than not he comes back and plays, but it's no guarantee for anyone, even a guy with infinite money. And if there *were* some soft tissue problem, they probably wouldn't be telling the world about it either.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Theisman was a clear break of the fibia and tibia. Two broken long bones. That very likely did all sorts of bad things to the muscle itself.

Dak's issue seems more like that of Hurns, who came back and played last year, and as a WR.

I don't think the prognosis is as grim for Dak as it was for Theisman. My recollection is of *no* discussion of Theisman coming back. He was considered done.

Dak won't have a picnic, but he's got infinite money for his rehab, which I assume you did not. I think more likely than not he comes back and plays, but it's no guarantee for anyone, even a guy with infinite money. And if there *were* some soft tissue problem, they probably wouldn't be telling the world about it either.
For sure.

And I heard Dak had an insurance policy against loss of income from an injury. That's typical.

How much that was and how it pays out is unknown.

So he has provided for himself but as many have pointed out about Dak not signing his Dallas contract which would have paid his entire guaranteed money plus the insurance..

Dak has to prove everything again and if he does..I hope he has learned about how fate can be very fickle.

And that's not trying to be dramatic. It's just fact.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And if there *were* some soft tissue problem, they probably wouldn't be telling the world about it either.

If Dak isnt transparent about the extent of the injury then Dallas wont tag him. There's no way we pay $37.7m on someone that's less than 100% fit, especially as we wont have the money to sign a decent back-up.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
All tags cost the exact same when tagged a 2nd time. So it's 37 million regardless of the tag. As far as the defense goes, it's probably more a scheme/coaching issue than it is talent. Although talent is part of it, they're not this bad in talent. I posted a short 5 minute video in the thread there is not easy fix, or something to that effect. It kind of goes over the problem.

First sentences isn't correct, however, the tag figure just under $37.7m.

The issue regarding money in improving the defense is that we dont have the resources to challenge for better players, players that fit the scheme you want to play.....we're left with the bottom of the barrel.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Dak isnt transparent about the extent of the injury then Dallas wont tag him. There's no way we pay $37.7m on someone that's less than 100% fit, especially as we wont have the money to sign a decent back-up.

Nice way for Dak to get to free agency a year early. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. But for the potential drop in cap next year, I'd say Dak should play hardball to get to free agency.