Siaki ika and drew sanders

Dalmations202

Reaction score
This is true, too… which is why I’d rely on Quinn and the Cowboys to know if Sanders would be used enough in what he wants to do. I’m not sure that he’d be used on a down-in-and-down-out basis to cost a first round pick.

With corner being a need and this being such a great year for CB’s, they could determine using a first on one of them would be more useful to the team.

Quinn will know the answer to that question. But I do really like Sanders as a prospect.
Drew Sanders or Andre Carter the better prospect, IYO ?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Well, to me they are different types of prospects. One that plays edge all of the time and one who is an off ball LB that can play some edge at times a La Micah Parsons.

If I needed a DE full time then I wouldn’t be looking at Sanders to begin with. Conversely, if I wanted an off ball LB, I wouldn’t be looking at Carter.

If you asked me to just pick who I like the most, it would probably be Sanders because Dallas could use a guy like him, depending on what happens in free agency. I like the thought of walking Parsons and Sanders up to the line with the offense not knowing which (if either) will be rushing at the snap, or dropping off. With Quinn coming back, I think he could devise a lot of formations with those two.

Full transparency though… I’ve watched a lot more of Sanders than Carter, and it is very early in the draft process, so this could change with new information (ie Combine testing). I just like the flexibility that Sanders gives Quinn and I much prefer Sanders background of playing for two huge SEC schools vs. Army (although I do love the discipline and character of Army players).

Anyway, like I said it is early in the process but right now I say Sanders.

I hope I answered your question man.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Well, to me they are different types of prospects. One that plays edge all of the time and one who is an off ball LB that can play some edge at times a La Micah Parsons.

If I needed a DE full time then I wouldn’t be looking at Sanders to begin with. Conversely, if I wanted an off ball LB, I wouldn’t be looking at Carter.

If you asked me to just pick who I like the most, it would probably be Sanders because Dallas could use a guy like him, depending on what happens in free agency. I like the thought of walking Parsons and Sanders up to the line with the offense not knowing which (if either) will be rushing at the snap, or dropping off. With Quinn coming back, I think he could devise a lot of formations with those two.

Full transparency though… I’ve watched a lot more of Sanders than Carter, and it is very early in the draft process, so this could change with new information (ie Combine testing). I just like the flexibility that Sanders gives Quinn and I much prefer Sanders background of playing for two huge SEC schools vs. Army (although I do love the discipline and character of Army players).

It does.

With that said, I love what you are looking for and that is exactly what I think the Dallas D needs.

I haven't watched either enough to know which would be better, but from what I was reading, Andre Carter was the best all round ILB/OLB prospect that the scout had seen in years. He claimed he had the ability to come off the edges, play the run from the middle, drop into a tampa 2 Mike role, and still stack and shed from the Mlb position and could cover TE's. The few times I saw Carter, he either played DE or rushed up the middle.

I really haven't seen Sanders, but it seems that these are the same skills you are seeing in him. So Thank you

cnuball21

Reaction score

Yea, Sanders appears to be a pretty fun chess piece.

Not sure if you checked out Nolan Smith yet but he’s another one…although I think he’s a little more rusher than off ball but has the athleticism to drop in a zone.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yea, Sanders appears to be a pretty fun chess piece.

Not sure if you checked out Nolan Smith yet but he’s another one…although I think he’s a little more rusher than off ball but has the athleticism to drop in a zone.
I love smith… but I don’t love him coming off of that injury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sanders *somewhat* reminds me of Micah Parsons in that he moves like a smaller player than the big guy that he is. That’s one of the things that I like to see when looking at LB prospects. As we know, it is Micah’s insane movement skills and speed that makes him so dangerous and special.

Does Sanders move as well as Micah? No. However, he does move much better than a guy his size should, which is still a pretty rare thing.

Something else that I like about Sanders is that he has edge rusher experience and skills to go along with that size… meaning that Dan Quinn could use him as a chess piece like he does Parsons, creating another problem in the offensive protection meetings on Saturday nights.

Finally, what Sanders has that I feel like is imperative for a defender, is instincts and a good grasp of leverage and angles. Even with his limited play experience, he seems to have a good understanding of what the offense is trying to do and just has a very nice football IQ. At his height, understanding leverage is a must and from what I’ve seen of Sanders, he keeps pretty good leverage throughout his play.

So, I guess I’m saying that if the Cowboys and Quinn think that Sanders is the way to go at pick 26, then I am all for it because he really could be a weapon. Quinn could create all kinds of issues for the offense with Sanders on one side and Parsons on the other.
Definitely a really good play. College listing is 6-5, 233.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I have to admit, I really didn't know much about Sanders but after reading some info on him and from what other posters have said, he apears very intriguing now to me.

Carson

Reaction score
I have to admit, I really didn't know much about Sanders but after reading some info on him and from what other posters have said, he apears very intriguing now to me.
He’s my favorite pick at the moment. Sanders or O'Cyrus Torrence. Both are plug in play at position of needs and improves that unit

Bigdog

Reaction score
He’s my favorite pick at the moment. Sanders or O'Cyrus Torrence. Both are plug in play at position of needs and improves that unit
Some draft experts compared him to Zach Cunningham which is a very good comaprison. He reminds me a little bit of TJ Watt too from the info I read. I would love to get him in the 2nd round with Devon Whitherspoon, CB from Illnoise in the first but I don't think any of them will make it our picks in the respective rds. It is just wishful thinking.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Sanders *somewhat* reminds me of Micah Parsons in that he moves like a smaller player than the big guy that he is. That’s one of the things that I like to see when looking at LB prospects. As we know, it is Micah’s insane movement skills and speed that makes him so dangerous and special.

Does Sanders move as well as Micah? No. However, he does move much better than a guy his size should, which is still a pretty rare thing.

Something else that I like about Sanders is that he has edge rusher experience and skills to go along with that size… meaning that Dan Quinn could use him as a chess piece like he does Parsons, creating another problem in the offensive protection meetings on Saturday nights.

Finally, what Sanders has that I feel like is imperative for a defender, is instincts and a good grasp of leverage and angles. Even with his limited play experience, he seems to have a good understanding of what the offense is trying to do and just has a very nice football IQ. At his height, understanding leverage is a must and from what I’ve seen of Sanders, he keeps pretty good leverage throughout his play.

So, I guess I’m saying that if the Cowboys and Quinn think that Sanders is the way to go at pick 26, then I am all for it because he really could be a weapon. Quinn could create all kinds of issues for the offense with Sanders on one side and Parsons on the other.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this player. Never knew much about him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With Quinn coming back, Sanders is the better player for us. His system makes us of those Leo, hybrid DE/LB's. Did it hear, in Atl and Seattle

Overall Id say its a wash. Carter may be better because he is a pure DE.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
These are nice to ponder, but my dream scenario is Trenton Simpson. I could be swayed, though. Sanders is like a faster Vander Esch.
If you were to draft Simpson, he'd take over for Barr. I can see the Cowboys targeting Simpson, though.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
These are nice to ponder, but my dream scenario is Trenton Simpson. I could be swayed, though. Sanders is like a faster Vander Esch.
If you were to draft Simpson, he'd take over for Barr. I can see the Cowboys targeting Simpson, though.
Simpson terrifies me. He’s a better athlete than football player and not sure he has the instincts to be great.

I actually think Sanders would be the perfect Barr replacement and prime Barr is a good comp for him.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
What about Noah Sewell out of Oregon? Could he fill that Mike role and allow Parsons to play DE or Will on any play?

The way I see it right now, Quinn needs a LB that can stop the inside run by stacking and shedding, be fast enough to get outside on outside runs, cover the flats, and be able to get to the mids for a tampa 2 mid zone coverage, all while having the skill to rush the QB so that Parsons doesn't have to come every down.

Dallas has a Damone Clark that seems to be able to cover the Will role beside Parsons on passing downs, or anytime Dallas has the lead. Damone will be the key to stopping RPO that Philly runs.

LVE would have been perfect if he wouldn't have come in the league -- leading with his head, got injured, and now never learned to stack and shed. He is good, but definitely could be upgraded to allow MP more rest and a better chance at not wearing down.

I read that Andre Carter is a true legit linebacker, but most here say he is more DE.
Drew Sanders is definitely intriguing, and with what I have read now, he might be the better prospect that Carter.
Nolan Smith seems like another but the torn muscle is a little questionable.
Noah Sewell is the latest I have been studying, and maybe he is the guy.
Reading on Trenton Simpson, he is a little smaller and played more Will and didn't stack much. Not what I think Dallas needs at MLB. Looks like a SAM or a LEO to me.
--- just a note: Wonder if Cox will be moved to that Leo position with Kearse since he is a little bigger at 233 to take some of the wear off of Jayron.

Who else out there is big enough (240+), Fast enough, smart enough, and good enough to be the MLB for Dallas, when MParsons is in other roles.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Watched tape on Drew Sanders. The comp that comes to my mind is LVE. Anthony Barr is another good one.

Zone coverage is his special sauce. He's insanely long at 6'5" 240 and moves like a guy 30 lbs lighter. He flows really naturally between the QB's eyes and the receiver in his zone. When he mirrors RBs, it sometimes looks like he's barely trying. Has straight-line speed to break and close. I didn't see him in man, that wasn't Arkansas' defense, but in zone he is awesome.

With run defense, he is a gamer but doesn't really have enough power to be a difference maker. Guards move him, RBs consistently plow through him for extra yardage. As far as I can tell, he diagnoses correctly, and he's fast if you just want him to beat someone to a spot. But he's not that physical.

He wins as a pass rusher, but not really in any kind of projectible way. He just runs past tackles or goes speed to power, and banks on being the better athlete. Very Barr-ish, in that big college sack totals probably won't mean big NFL sack totals. He'll probably be a better blitzer than your average MLB, but he's no Parsons.

I would say his 1st-2nd round grade is fair. Sanders is basically a giant safety, and that's what a lot of teams want at LB these days. LB and safety are cheap positions to fill, but Sanders' athleticism will keep him from falling too far.

As far as the Cowboys go, I'd rather just pay LVE and/or Donovan Wilson. Sanders is a fit here, but I think between those two, Kearse, and Damone Clark, we are pretty well stocked on underneath defenders.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Watched tape on Drew Sanders. The comp that comes to my mind is LVE. Anthony Barr is another good one.

Zone coverage is his special sauce. He's insanely long at 6'5" 240 and moves like a guy 30 lbs lighter. He flows really naturally between the QB's eyes and the receiver in his zone. When he mirrors RBs, it sometimes looks like he's barely trying. Has straight-line speed to break and close. I didn't see him in man, that wasn't Arkansas' defense, but in zone he is awesome.

With run defense, he is a gamer but doesn't really have enough power to be a difference maker. Guards move him, RBs consistently plow through him for extra yardage. As far as I can tell, he diagnoses correctly, and he's fast if you just want him to beat someone to a spot. But he's not that physical.

He wins as a pass rusher, but not really in any kind of projectible way. He just runs past tackles or goes speed to power, and banks on being the better athlete. Very Barr-ish, in that big college sack totals probably won't mean big NFL sack totals. He'll probably be a better blitzer than your average MLB, but he's no Parsons.

I would say his 1st-2nd round grade is fair. Sanders is basically a giant safety, and that's what a lot of teams want at LB these days. LB and safety are cheap positions to fill, but Sanders' athleticism will keep him from falling too far.

As far as the Cowboys go, I'd rather just pay LVE and/or Donovan Wilson. Sanders is a fit here, but I think between those two, Kearse, and Damone Clark, we are pretty well stocked on underneath defenders.
Prime Barr was my exact comp. I like him…another weapon for Quinn.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Simpson terrifies me. He’s a better athlete than football player and not sure he has the instincts to be great.

I actually think Sanders would be the perfect Barr replacement and prime Barr is a good comp for him.

Trenton Simpson is 6'3'' and 240 lbs and runs a 4.3. Has the skillset of someone else we know.

If he's there, I jump all over that. The guy covers receivers like a corner, and they had him covering receivers in college. He's legit.

He can play DE and LB. This guy would be the perfect piece for Dan Quinn's defense.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Say no to any linebacker in round 1. Even micah wasn't worth a round 1 selection as a linebacker as he's shown in his time as a MLB. He's good but not Luke Keckly (however it's spelled) 1st round good. That position is similar to running backs but somehow running backs get the bad rap