Sick of Hearing About NT

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The DTs that do the dirty work get payed, Like Tomlinson and Reed.
That’s the whole point. Jarran Reed is not a big guy. He’s 306, same size as almost every DT on our roster. Id love to have him because he is a quality DT. He can penetrate...he is an athlete. He makes the OL work and he makes plays in the backfield.....he’s not a NT just occupying a space. Dallas hasn’t run out 2-3 quality DTs in 20 years.

Clarke82

Reaction score
Quality athletic DTs keep OLs plenty busy. Think the Rams would look for a 1 Tech if they had two Aaron Donald’s? I get your point and agree that you need a hog if your 3 tech is getting blown off the ball, but the good DTs, whether 280 or 340, are not being blown back. Donald is 6’1” and 280. Every DT on our current roster is between 304 and 320 except Urban, who is 295. I still think it’s about talent, not size.

We don't have Aaron Donald so, we have to make adjustments.

Talent matters for sure, that is why I want Alim McNeil or Kris Tonga to help Galimore and Hill.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That’s the whole point. Jarran Reed is not a big guy. He’s 306, same size as almost every DT on our roster. Id love to have him because he is a quality DT. He can penetrate...he is an athlete. He makes the OL work and he makes plays in the backfield.....he’s not a NT just occupying a space. Dallas hasn’t run our 2-3 quality DTs in 20 years.
Reed's not a NT, he's a 3T.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not at all what I said....not sure what you are reading. I said if you have really good DTs, you don’t need a fat run stuffer. Quality DTs come in many sizes, and they all demand double teams. The most doubled DT in the NFL for several years is 6’1” and 280. Our problem won’t be solved by a late round 350 DT. Run 2-3 quality playmaking DTs in a rotation. But the team hasn’t committed to the position.
the team or the jones boys lol?
they wont commit to it either.
we are lucky they addressed safety and lb positions at all . and that seems to be more than usual.
Maybe quinn is convincing jones boys certain areas need better players, have to wait and see.
Draft will tell us more.

tm1119

Reaction score
Some wood be relevant and some wood not.:cool:

Of course some of the players would translate. I’m saying the game is completely different. In the 60’s they would have called an nfl coach a witch and burned him at the stake if he called 50+ passing plays a game, and now it’s common place.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You shouldn’t need to spend a lot to get a guy to do this job..

Nobody values a run stuffer anymore.

If you play the Chiefs or Packers you do a fist pump everytime they turn around and give it to the RB.

Sydla

Reaction score
So if I am reading the OP correctly, we don't need a run stuffing slob but rather we need to just upgrade the talent at DT.

OK. How did we do that this FA period? We brought in Urban and Watkins, who are both JAGs, like Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Dontari Poe before them.

conner01

Reaction score
I could not disagree more.

The NFL has changed and is playing more defensive backs on defense and getting more spread out.

That means the 1T DT is becoming more of a need because smaller LB's and the DB's don't shed blocks they run around them creating holes.

Therefore, keeping the O-Line busy is very important because, it allows your LB's and DB's to run and hit.

The '70's thru 90's Cowboys also depended on Fullbacks as a key part of the offense.

Things change so, the importance of positions change.
The game is not the same as it was in the 70’s or even the 90’s
But Russell Maryland was the type of player who could hold his own against a double team and protect the LB’s and allowed you to play with smaller, faster LB

Blackspider214

Reaction score
So your argument is to bring success from decades prior which have no relevance today? Wow. Great job! Some of you people are completely clueless. Year after year, we are terrible against the run and get zero pressure up the middle and wonder why we fall flat on our face

So this year, we yet again bring in trash on the streets who won't upgrade and people buy into it and think it will change.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Quinn's defense doesn't use that big of a body. Brandon Mebane in Seattle was a former 3T and was listed at 6-1 311.
Tyeler Davison with the Falcons is listed at 6-2 316.

Jarran Reed is a 3T (Poona Ford is Seattle's 1T at 5-11 309)

That's true for the most part, but he has used them before, although they may have been a holdover from when Gus Bradley was there.

kskboys

Reaction score
You just disagreed with my post saying its not about "size" its about "build" and then continue to bring up a players size as why he has problems. You made a childish post and got a childish response. You are just arguing to argue. You say size isn't an issue yet you say a guys height causes problems.......you are contradicting whatever point you are trying to make.
I think you got your posters mixed up.

My post about build was not in any way anything but fact. I'm not the one saying size isn't an issue.

It appears you thought I said something I didn't.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’m sick of hearing about nose tackles. We do not need to sign or draft a NT. We don’t have to have 1 fat run stuffer and 1 penetrating playmaker.

Look at the history of great Dallas defenses....you do not need a run stuffing nose tackle like NE’s Wilfork in a 4-3. If you have two really good DTs, you’re set.

Lilly and Pugh
Pugh and White
White and Dutton
Maryland and Casilas
Maryland and Lett

You just can not run garbage DTs out there who wouldn’t start on most teams.

Crawford and Hayden?
Collins and Crawford?
Collins and Woods?
Poe and Crawford?

Give me 2 good, athletic DTs who can penetrate, chase, make plays behind the line and chase plays down the line, and I’ll take that any day over all the 1 and 3 tech talk. We brought in FA DTs who will add to the rotation and improve our run defense, but our current hopes are on Hill and Gallimore, who are both athletic and big. Draft another good DT. I don’t care if he’s a star or a Jimmy Jones, but add one more young guy who can actually play.

(History: Randy White was drafted in 1975, #2 overall, at 6’4” and 257 lbs. He was a backup at MLB for two seasons, playing only on special teams while Larry Cole played out of position at DT. He didn’t even play DT until his 3rd season whenCole was finally able to return to DE)
pass happy league 2021 ay you dont need one at all, jerry told me , dont hate the messenger but nickel and dime are prominent. flex payers, postion flex is the now. :))

kskboys

Reaction score
Quality athletic DTs keep OLs plenty busy. Think the Rams would look for a 1 Tech if they had two Aaron Donald’s? I get your point and agree that you need a hog if your 3 tech is getting blown off the ball, but the good DTs, whether 280 or 340, are not being blown back. Donald is 6’1” and 280. Every DT on our current roster is between 304 and 320 except Urban, who is 295. I still think it’s about talent, not size.
Talent and leverage, yes. If you have two tall guys at DT, you are unlikely to have a strong middle. Need guys who can hold the point of attack.

In some cases, yes, talent can trump other factors. Gotta be careful, though, as it's been tried and failed several times. I remember OAK was giddy when they paired Seymour and Kelly inside, both being 3 techs, and even though both were very talented, the pair failed miserably.

kskboys

Reaction score
So your argument is to bring success from decades prior which have no relevance today? Wow. Great job! Some of you people are completely clueless. Year after year, we are terrible against the run and get zero pressure up the middle and wonder why we fall flat on our face

So this year, we yet again bring in trash on the streets who won't upgrade and people buy into it and think it will change.
Unfortunately, this thought process is straight from Jerry's skull.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Talent and leverage, yes. If you have two tall guys at DT, you are unlikely to have a strong middle. Need guys who can hold the point of attack.

In some cases, yes, talent can trump other factors. Gotta be careful, though, as it's been tried and failed several times. I remember OAK was giddy when they paired Seymour and Kelly inside, both being 3 techs, and even though both were very talented, the pair failed miserably.
The only example I can think of - of two three tech types - that worked was Donald and Suh on that Rams Super Bowl team few years back, but that worked in part because they also had Brockers in the rotation, and Suh actually can play the nose pretty well even though it's not his natural spot.
And Wade Phillips is a defensive genius.

Loso86

Reaction score
I’m sick of hearing about nose tackles. We do not need to sign or draft a NT. We don’t have to have 1 fat run stuffer and 1 penetrating playmaker.

Look at the history of great Dallas defenses....you do not need a run stuffing nose tackle like NE’s Wilfork in a 4-3. If you have two really good DTs, you’re set.

Lilly and Pugh
Pugh and White
White and Dutton
Maryland and Casilas
Maryland and Lett

You just can not run garbage DTs out there who wouldn’t start on most teams.

Crawford and Hayden?
Collins and Crawford?
Collins and Woods?
Poe and Crawford?

Give me 2 good, athletic DTs who can penetrate, chase, make plays behind the line and chase plays down the line, and I’ll take that any day over all the 1 and 3 tech talk. We brought in FA DTs who will add to the rotation and improve our run defense, but our current hopes are on Hill and Gallimore, who are both athletic and big. Draft another good DT. I don’t care if he’s a star or a Jimmy Jones, but add one more young guy who can actually play.

(History: Randy White was drafted in 1975, #2 overall, at 6’4” and 257 lbs. He was a backup at MLB for two seasons, playing only on special teams while Larry Cole played out of position at DT. He didn’t even play DT until his 3rd season whenCole was finally able to return to DE)
Agree fornthe most part, but as we both know this is NOT the same league. If you don't hVe a BIG boy T the NT position you had better have somebody that can hold 2 blocks to free up the LBS ability to run around