Sick of Hearing About NT

Chuck 54

Reaction score
And you will continue to not be able to make stops on 3rd and short, 4th and short.

The Cowboys have subscribed to your theory for years and they've also been a really bad defense for years.
No they haven’t. They’ve been running out JAGs at DT. I’m not talking about size....I’m talking about quality. The Cowboys DTs have been garbage for over 20 years.

The Natural

Reaction score
I’m sick of hearing about nose tackles. We do not need to sign or draft a NT. We don’t have to have 1 fat run stuffer and 1 penetrating playmaker.

Look at the history of great Dallas defenses....you do not need a run stuffing nose tackle like NE’s Wilfork in a 4-3. If you have two really good DTs, you’re set.

Lilly and Pugh
Pugh and White
White and Dutton
Maryland and Casilas
Maryland and Lett
Lol. Still living in the past

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m sick of hearing about nose tackles. We do not need to sign or draft a NT. We don’t have to have 1 fat run stuffer and 1 penetrating playmaker.

Look at the history of great Dallas defenses....you do not need a run stuffing nose tackle like NE’s Wilfork in a 4-3. If you have two really good DTs, you’re set.

Lilly and Pugh
Pugh and White
White and Dutton
Maryland and Casilas
Maryland and Lett

You just can not run garbage DTs out there who wouldn’t start on most teams.

Crawford and Hayden?
Collins and Crawford?
Collins and Woods?
Poe and Crawford?

Give me 2 good, athletic DTs who can penetrate, chase, make plays behind the line and chase plays down the line, and I’ll take that any day over all the 1 and 3 tech talk. We brought in FA DTs who will add to the rotation and improve our run defense, but our current hopes are on Hill and Gallimore, who are both athletic and big. Draft another good DT. I don’t care if he’s a star or a Jimmy Jones, but add one more young guy who can actually play.

(History: Randy White was drafted in 1975, #2 overall, at 6’4” and 257 lbs. He was a backup at MLB for two seasons, playing only on special teams while Larry Cole played out of position at DT. He didn’t even play DT until his 3rd season whenCole was finally able to return to DE)

You say we dont need a DT, then you say we cant run out garbage DT's, they you say we just need athletic DT's. Confused?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Bringing up our DTs from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s makes no sense regarding today’s game. There were no (or very few in the 80’s) 300+ lb. offensive or defensive linemen then. I’m not even sure if DTs were called 1Techs or 3 Techs then. The game has changed. Players sizes have greatly changed. I do believe we need a run stuffing 1Tech.
Again, they weren’t brought up due to size but quality and ability to make plays. None of our DTs were average....size is relative to the times, but we always had #2 DTs that were still excellent, guys like Pugh, Dutton, Lett.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This is silly. So because past defenses don't have them that means this one doesn't need one? There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with having a NT. It will not hurt your defense.

And if you want to use examples.....when this team had Jay Ratliff while he was a great player they still needed a fat nose tackle then to soak up some blocks. Had they had one Ratliff would've been even better as would our linebackers.

Man...Jerry and Stephen have neglected the position so bad that now people are justifying why we don't need one.
That was a 3-4.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Quinn's defense doesn't use that big of a body. Brandon Mebane in Seattle was a former 3T and was listed at 6-1 311.
Tyeler Davison with the Falcons is listed at 6-2 316.

Jarran Reed is a 3T (Poona Ford is Seattle's 1T at 5-11 309)
"Quinn's defence" isn't what's happening here. McCarthy is forcing him to continue installing Mike Nolan's Hybrid defense.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You say we dont need a DT, then you say we cant run out garbage DT's, they you say we just need athletic DT's. Confused?
Not at all what I said....not sure what you are reading. I said if you have really good DTs, you don’t need a fat run stuffer. Quality DTs come in many sizes, and they all demand double teams. The most doubled DT in the NFL for several years is 6’1” and 280. Our problem won’t be solved by a late round 350 DT. Run 2-3 quality playmaking DTs in a rotation. But the team hasn’t committed to the position.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
"Quinn's defence" isn't what's happening here. McCarthy is forcing him to continue installing Mike Nolan's Hybrid defense.
No he isn't, the Seahawk/Falcons defense has a Leo position & a 4T DE position along with their other schemes. That makes it a hybrid defense. And Joe, I thought you were from Abilene? Canadians and Brits spell defense with a c.

1200px-United_States_Department_of_Defense_Seal.svg.png

Brooksey

Reaction score
I'm sick of watching teams run through our butter defense starting with our last playoff appearance against the Rams few years back

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not at all what I said....not sure what you are reading. I said if you have really good DTs, you don’t need a fat run stuffer. Quality DTs come in many sizes, and they all demand double teams. The most doubled DT in the NFL for several years is 6’1” and 280. Our problem won’t be solved by a late round 350 DT. Run 2-3 quality playmaking DTs in a rotation. But the team hasn’t committed to the position.

Why do you care what size he is? This team just needs some good DT's. Give me a great 330 pounder or a great 280 pounder. I could are less.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No he isn't, the Seahawk/Falcons defense has a Leo position & a 4T DE position along with there other schemes. That makes it a hybrid defense. And Joe, I thought you were from Abilene? Canadians and Brits spell defense with a c.
Did you miss McCarthy's press conference? He said they aren't making those changes on defense. Instead, they are staying the course with what they were trying to do last season. Pay attention. Only the players are changing.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Did you miss McCarthy's press conference? He said they aren't making those changes on defense. Instead, they are staying the course with what they were trying to do last season. Pay attention. Only the players are changing.
Joe you misunderstood. They are running Quinn's defense.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It can’t just be Antwaun Woods. Even in a bad class you can find a player with more talent and better suited for the position. Doesn’t have to be 330lb guy. But the effort to find a player has to be better.
Agreed.....Antwan Woods should be way down the depth chart, if on the roster at all. Start drafting some of the top rated DTs, and they will wreck offenses with penetration and athleticism. The only reason to play fat run stuffers is because you want to use cheap DTs, thinking the position is not important.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Again, they weren’t brought up due to size but quality and ability to make plays. None of our DTs were average....size is relative to the times, but we always had #2 DTs that were still excellent, guys like Pugh, Dutton, Lett.
Well then your initial post makes zero sense. Of course you want and need DTs with ability regardless of size and position. But, what does that have to do with your statement that we don’t need a big 1 Tech? No, we don’t want to pick up some slobbish 335 lb. guy from Five Guys. But we do need a big 1 Tech to plug up the middle and keep teams from running down our throats. Size and ability are two different things and are not mutually exclusive.

By the way, I don’t think you’ll get any argument from anyone that the FO hasn’t given enough attention to the DT position (though we have taken one in the 2nd and 3rd rounds the last two years). We definitely need quality. It’s just that most of us think we need a quality 1Tech to really stabilize the D.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It isnt easy to come up with 2 like you describe ! It could be done, but with jones boys, dont expect to see that in this decade.
The DTs that do the dirty work get payed, Like Tomlinson and Reed.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Why do you care what size he is? This team just needs some good DT's. Give me a great 330 pounder or a great 280 pounder. I could are less.
Jesus....that’s exactly what I said. Bring in multiple quality DTs, not just a late round run stuffer who gives you nothing vs the pass. Spend draft capital on DTs instead of ignoring the position.

tm1119

Reaction score
I love when people reference 40+ years ago as if it is even 1% relevant to football in 2021.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I have a buddy thats 330 lbs, if all you care about is the weight of a DL, he already told me he would play for some whataburger coupons.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jesus....that’s exactly what I said. Bring in multiple quality DTs, not just a late round run stuffer who gives you nothing vs the pass. Spend draft capital on DTs instead of ignoring the position.

No you said you didnt want a big one. I said gimme anyone no matter what the size.