Sign Gilmore and a proven run Stuffing DT!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Trade for one. We have a lot of depth on the O line.
do we have depth on the Oline? or do we have potential? there are question marks.

and who are the DTs that we might trade for? how much do they cost (in players and draft picks). are we at a point to say this team is ready to make a run? I rather trade for a legit RB as this group is the worst in the league.

sorry, this is not fantasy football. there has to be a willing partner. I would assume teams who are considering themselves contenders wouldn't want to trade, so that leaves a lot of mid to lower end teams. and would they have a DT that would be worth trading for. just saying trade for this position and get a player is nothing but fantastical.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gilmore and a proven run stuffing DT would make a HUGE difference for this Defense.

Gilmore has lost a little bit of speed, but he’s still fast enough AND an extremely smart player. Last year when Bland struggled, Gilmore stepped up big time and shut his guy down(Brown from Philly!). Gilmore was hurting during the GB nightmare.
I believe Gilmore, Diggs( if Diggs is 100% healthy ), and Bland would give us the BEST CB trio in the NFL, by far!!!!!!

Bring in a proven run stuffing DT to help stop the run on early downs and force teams to pass vs our play making CB’s. I think our safeties and LBers will be pretty darn good vs the pass too. Hopefully, Micah will get some help rushing the passer from 54 and our rookie DE.

This D could be really good with these 2 doable moves : GILMORE and a PROVEN run STUFFER!!
Gilmore is too old and slow now.
DT LOL you need Cap $ for a good one.............No money and no Honey.
P.S. We got Mazi jeez do you need anything more here???? :muttley:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The Cowboys believe there are players already on the 53 that can fill those holes.
They have "believed" a lot of things over the years. Wrong more often than not.

I like how you said they believe this. I'm guessing you're like most of us. Less confident.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Hmmm… doubt he’ll take under 8, part of the reason he’s still floating. Regardless 5 is still too much for a 3, especially if it alienates a player coming off the season Bland had. Most people thought Lewis played close to exceptional last season… sure wasn’t being picked on. Regardless it time to move on and see what Scott and Carson can do!
Your comments are very reasonable, except the part about Lewis playing close to exceptional. I love Lewis’s effort but his coverage skills are below average.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
do we have depth on the Oline? or do we have potential? there are question marks.

and who are the DTs that we might trade for? how much do they cost (in players and draft picks). are we at a point to say this team is ready to make a run? I rather trade for a legit RB as this group is the worst in the league.

sorry, this is not fantasy football. there has to be a willing partner. I would assume teams who are considering themselves contenders wouldn't want to trade, so that leaves a lot of mid to lower end teams. and would they have a DT that would be worth trading for. just saying trade for this position and get a player is nothing but fantastical.
In the mind of a poor GM everything is fantasy. In the mind of a great GM everything is possible, you just have to find a way.
Getting a DT that can stop the run does not have to be a trade. There are a few pretty good veterans still in FA.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well if this is the throwaway year it appears to be, no sense in signing Gilmore.

He would only act as a progress stopper for Scott (who they spent two picks on) and the new draft pick.

Diggs, Bland and Lewis are the clear starters and not had ones. Arguably the strength of the team.

DT is about the opposite.….this all after they were just humiliated in front of the nation up the gut. They proceeded to do nothing about it at all. Any team that does anything except run the ball up the gut against Dallas deserves to lose. I don’t at all see how they are stopping it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Log jam at CB. No reason to overpay for a vet like Gilmore. Spend the money somewhere else.
I agree I think his $10 million tag and the fact that he hasn't proven to anybody his shoulders fully healed is why he's out there still.. I believe teams will probably sign him after the first week, so they don't have to guarantee his money...6mil yes, 10 a bit steep maybe a compromise after week 1? really depends on Diggs health and recovery etc.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well if this is the throwaway year it appears to be, no sense in signing Gilmore.

He would only act as a progress stopper for Scott (who they spent two picks on) and the new draft pick.

Diggs, Bland and Lewis are the clear starters and not had ones. Arguably the strength of the team.

DT is about the opposite.….this all after they were just humiliated in front of the nation up the gut. They proceeded to do nothing about it at all. Any team that does anything except run the ball up the gut against Dallas deserves to lose. I don’t at all see how they are stopping it.
I think Jerry fully expects this team to compete for a championship this year. What about next year gives you more confidence? This is how they operate. They'll just draft more players next year, and pay any player already on the team given the cap space.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think Jerry fully expects this team to compete for a championship this year. What about next year gives you more confidence? This is how they operate. They'll just draft more players next year, and pay any player already on the team given the cap space.
I don’t at all think there’s any longer term plan. Everything is reactive on a shorter term basis, and each and every move is treated individually as opposed to part of some grand overall plan.

Romo and Prescott have kept them from falling on their faces for some time now and the time on that may very well have expired.

Let’s see.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t at all think there’s any longer term plan. Everything is reactive on a shorter term basis, and each and every move is treated individually as opposed to part of some grand overall plan.

Romo and Prescott have kept them from falling on their faces for some time now and the time on that may very well have expired.

Let’s see.
This is a very good way to explain it. Much better than I could. I used to just say, it doesn't matter whether the Cowboys were 13-3 or 3-13, the offseason doesn't take that into consideration. It is apart from that.

exciter

Reaction score
Your comments are very reasonable, except the part about Lewis playing close to exceptional. I love Lewis’s effort but his coverage skills are below average.
Hmmm. Lewis went from many thinking (myself included) he’d be walking after the season to playing himself into another contract. He’s a little limited by size and speed but is tough, gritty, willing to play the run and plays with good technique!