Sign Zeke and break the bank

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
does he?

on stats sure, if you ignore the monster 47y on he ground via 20 carries and the monster 19y on 5 targets he delivered when last seen in a game, a playoff game. and if they stick with a failed idea of being the run happy bunch in the NFL as a path to 21st century success - it may work, one decade or another

pay him, if you don't mind an immature kid with an 8 digit contract on payroll - why not?
pay him, to justify maintaining a $60M a year OL that can run block but not pass block - why not?

so, yeah, sure - over pay a guy for heavy workload (which ain't sustainable) and who punches out a Vegas security guard during contract negotiations - maybe he was just drunk or doped up to help deal with a heavy workload -
boys will be boys - can't be expected to honor a contract or act like grown men

most 8 digit job applicants bring some amount of leadership, not on the Cowboys

but hey, JJ has gambled on many fools with talent, why not this one too?

gotta feed the fantasy football fans something shiny
You are dead on accurate!

You sign a contract you should honor it, period. You can gripe and ask for a raise, whatever but when it comes to do your job you do it.
And when you are in public eye as he is, you represent not only yourself but the company you work for.
It's called being an adult.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

It would be interesting to see what data and logic make up this model. I can't say this is particularly earth-shattering news, though.

Conventional wisdom has held, for quite some time, that good (maybe, not great) RB's can be found in the mid-rounds of the draft with the corollary being, you can "reload" the RB position every 3-4 years

Did using that so-called conventional wisdom keep together the quarterback, receiver, and running back necessary to maintain a dynasty similar to the 90's for the Cowboys?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have little doubt that they are going to extend Zeke and probably for a huge number.

I also have little doubt that it probably won't be the smartest decision. The Cowboys are a team trying to recreate the 90s in a league that has evolved beyond line em up and try to pound them into the ground.

And it's going to lead to some poor decisions........... overpaying for a TB and likely overpaying your QB.

And this isn't even about Zeke. It's about the TB position overall. Time and time again, teams are showing they can have competent running games and compete for SBs without having to invest high #1 picks and a crap ton of money in the TB position to win. In fact, it seems a lot of successful teams do the opposite - hodge podge the TB spot with vets and mid to late round picks - and then use the saved resources in other areas.

Two questions; since you keeping emphasizing "overpaying", how much would you pay Zeke and Dak? or who are you replacing them with?

Sydla

Reaction score
Two questions; since you keeping emphasizing "overpaying", how much would you pay Zeke and Dak? or who are you replacing them with?

Dak plays this year under his existing deal. If he plays well, he gets an extension. If he's just OK? He gets tagged and you start looking for a longer term option.

I don't extend the TB under any circumstances. He plays under the last two years of his deal and I look to draft a TB in 2020 and maybe bring in a vet. It's just my personal opinion on TBs. I think they are somewhat fungible and that you likely will never get the full return on investment in a TB when you pay him elite money.

I also find it bizarre that people will argue we have to pay Dak an elite contract because he's earned it but then turn around and claim we have to pay Elliott an elite contract because he's the most important cog on offense. What sense does that make? Pay your QB an elite contract like he's the most important part of the offense but then turn around and pay your TB an elite contract because he's the most important part of the offense?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
yes, sign him, he deserves it.

This is in lieu of all the anti Zeke threads.
And I though Dallas fans were smart, but apparently not. Because many just hate the RB position. Or they really just do not understand football.

:D

Wow, your words made me understand football. I can go to India now and spread this gospel in Gandhi's footsteps.

Flamma

Reaction score

And I though Dallas fans were smart, but apparently not. Because many just hate the RB position. Or they really just do not understand football.

I'm on your side on this, but those that disagree with us have valid points. There is a reason RBs don't get big contracts anymore, it's because they are easily replaceable, and a great run game is not needed to win championships. Where I part ways with certain fans is with elite backs or generational talent. The Cowboys can't simply replace Zeke. Anyone else and we're downgrading.

In 2016 Dallas don't win in Pittsburgh without Zeke. We probably don't beat Philly that year either. There was another game, I just forget at the moment. I think Zeke is that good that he can mean the difference between winning and losing some games. I honestly believe the Cowboys beat the Giants in the 2007 playoffs if they had Zeke. Dallas should have won that game anyway, so I'm not going too far out on a limb, but I think he would have been the difference maker. So I say pay the man. The dude is still very young.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm on your side on this, but those that disagree with us have valid points. There is a reason RBs don't get big contracts anymore, it's because they are easily replaceable, and a great run game is not needed to win championships. Where I part ways with certain fans is with elite backs or generational talent. The Cowboys can't simply replace Zeke. Anyone else and we're downgrading.

In 2016 Dallas don't win in Pittsburgh without Zeke. We probably don't beat Philly that year either. There was another game, I just forget at the moment. I think Zeke is that good that he can mean the difference between winning and losing some games. I honestly believe the Cowboys beat the Giants in the 2007 playoffs if they had Zeke. Dallas should have won that game anyway, so I'm not going too far out on a limb, but I think he would have been the difference maker. So I say pay the man. The dude is still very young.

What generational or elite backs have made the SB in the last 10-12 years?

The best TBs to make the SB over that period are Gurley (who was essentially a backup to Anderson down the stretch for some bizarre reason), Marshawn Lynch and Ray Rice. Those are the three best TBs to make the SB over that period. And honestly, I am not sure any of the three are what you might call a generational talent (well maybe Gurley has that skill set).

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dak plays this year under his existing deal. If he plays well, he gets an extension. If he's just OK? He gets tagged and you start looking for a longer term option.

I don't extend the TB under any circumstances. He plays under the last two years of his deal and I look to draft a TB in 2020 and maybe bring in a vet. It's just my personal opinion on TBs. I think they are somewhat fungible and that you likely will never get the full return on investment in a TB when you pay him elite money.

I also find it bizarre that people will argue we have to pay Dak an elite contract because he's earned it but then turn around and claim we have to pay Elliott an elite contract because he's the most important cog on offense. What sense does that make? Pay your QB an elite contract like he's the most important part of the offense but then turn around and pay your TB an elite contract because he's the most important part of the offense?

Just as I expected .......your argument is impracticable. It simply doesn't work that way. You honestly think the FO invested the 4th overall pick on a player/position no intention of offering a second contract, especially if that player is everything you expected him to be. It's rare for teams NOT to extend their franchise prior to free agency. Think I read something that Cousin was the first starting QB to receive two tags.

Other words, by your theory, let's forget everything invested in both players and start over rather than paying market value to retain their service and team continuity. I'm 100% confident we are only a 500 or worst team w/o both Dak and Zeke. What's even worst, we have no idea what we're getting as replacements. Hell even if you find a viable replacement, what happens when that player needs a second deal? Start over again?

BTW.....You still didn't say how much you'd pay Dak. I know you said wouldn't even bother offering Zeke anything (lol) but how much for Dak?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He is already getting paid and has two years left on his agreement.

"FULFILL YOUR CONTRACT"!!!!

Sydla

Reaction score
Just as I expected .......your argument is impracticable. It simply doesn't work that way. You honestly think the FO invested the 4th overall pick on a player/position no intention of offering a second contract, especially if that player is everything you expected him to be. It's rare for teams NOT to extend their franchise prior to free agency. Think I read something that Cousin was the first starting QB to receive two tags.

Other words, by your theory, let's forget everything invested in both players and start over rather than paying market value to retain their service and team continuity. I'm 100% confident we are only a 500 or worst team w/o both Dak and Zeke. What's even worst, we have no idea what we're getting as replacements. Hell even if you find a viable replacement, what happens when that player needs a second deal? Start over again?

BTW.....You still didn't say how much you'd pay Dak. I know you said wouldn't even bother offering Zeke anything (lol) but how much for Dak?

I don't know what to pay Dak because I need to see his 2019 season. If he plays very well, the team succeeds, I am comfortable paying him in that $30MM+ range. If he spits out a 2017 season or first half of 2018 season, I honestly am hesitant to hand him a big contract.

And there's nothing impractical about my Elliott position. I think they made a mistake using the 4th pick on a TB and I think it's foolish to compound that mistake with another one locking in a TB with an enormous cap hit. You have him for two more years under the existing contract and you also have the option to tag him with one year deals. So you could easily get 5-6 years out of him and frankly, that's enough. And if he holds out, that's on him. As I said, I am already looking at finding his replacement in the next draft and through FA. The fact I can't name a specific person to replace him doesn't eliminate my point of view. And the beauty of building and continuing to field a great OL? You can churn and burn RBs as much as you want and save a ton of cap space to bring back other players.

Again, explain the logic behind paying your QB an elite contract but then trying to argue that we have to pay the TB an elite contract because he makes the offense go.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don't know what to pay Dak because I need to see his 2019 season. If he plays very well, the team succeeds, I am comfortable paying him in that $30MM+ range. If he spits out a 2017 season or first half of 2018 season, I honestly am hesitant to hand him a big contract.

And there's nothing impractical about my Elliott position. I think they made a mistake using the 4th pick on a TB and I think it's foolish to compound that mistake with another one locking in a TB with an enormous cap hit. You have him for two more years under the existing contract and you also have the option to tag him with one year deals. So you could easily get 5-6 years out of him and frankly, that's enough. And if he holds out, that's on him. As I said, I am already looking at finding his replacement in the next draft and through FA. The fact I can't name a specific person to replace him doesn't eliminate my point of view. And the beauty of building and continuing to field a great OL? You can churn and burn RBs as much as you want and save a ton of cap space to bring back other players.

Again, explain the logic behind paying your QB an elite contract but then trying to argue that we have to pay the TB an elite contract because he makes the offense go.

You also mention possibly tagging Dak. Well if blow up this season with a hell of a year still on his rookie deal, you can forget the 30M and tag won't help unless you wanna let Coop walk. Other words, you'll now have TWO ELITE free agent starters but one tag. One either walk or bend you over with his demands.

As one NFL scout told MMQB last Zeke is a top tier 3-DOWN ( same as Barkley ). You'll need THREE backs to replace him/his impact in the offense. Good luck with that.....

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
You also mention possibly tagging Dak. Well if blow up this season with a hell of a year still on his rookie deal, you can forget the 30M and tag won't help unless you wanna let Coop walk. Other words, you'll now have TWO ELITE free agent starters but one tag. One either walk or bend you over with his demands.

As one NFL scout told MMQB last Zeke is a top tier 3-DOWN ( same as Barkley ). You'll need THREE backs to replace him/his impact in the offense. Good luck with that.....

Cooper will get signed regardless. There's little to no chance he doesn't get signed. And if Dak plays well, I am perfectly fine paying him whatever the league minimum is at that point - $35MM? Fine. If he plays poorly and I have to tag him, I still have Elliott under contract and then I can tag Cooper if the worst case scenario plays out. Then in 2021, Elliott either gets tagged or walked. It's far more manageable than you are trying to make it out to be.

There isn't a circumstance where I pay a TB elite money under a long term contract. So with that premise in mind, I can handle the other contracts with more clarity.

As for your bolded part, how many "top tier 3 - DOWN" backs are there in the league? Two?

And yet all these teams that don't have a back that fits in that mold somehow have been more successful than us. Hmmmmm. Should make you wonder about just how important that type of back it to a team's success.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Yeah, let's pay the guy 2 years earlier than we have to. A guy who is a knucklehead move away from serving a year's suspension, in one of the most physically demanding jobs in the NFL. Even if you don't factor in his off the field stuff, signing a rookie RB to an extension with 2 years left is asinine.

JBond

Reaction score

Or...have the man-child actually play for the contract he signed and see if he can finish a year without acting like a mental midget.

LittleD

Reaction score
The team just saved $5 million releasing Hurns.

Yes, and just think how much we will save in the future by trading Zeke for whatever we can get. RB's do not deserve
2nd contracts.

LittleD

Reaction score

We have him under contract for this year and next. Run him to death and then draft the next one. We drafted two this year. How many RB's do
we need?

LittleD

Reaction score
Cooper will get signed regardless. There's little to no chance he doesn't get signed. And if Dak plays well, I am perfectly fine paying him whatever the league minimum is at that point - $35MM? Fine. If he plays poorly and I have to tag him, I still have Elliott under contract and then I can tag Cooper if the worst case scenario plays out. Then in 2021, Elliott either gets tagged or walked. It's far more manageable than you are trying to make it out to be.

There isn't a circumstance where I pay a TB elite money under a long term contract. So with that premise in mind, I can handle the other contracts with more clarity.

As for your bolded part, how many "top tier 3 - DOWN" backs are there in the league? Two?

And yet all these teams that don't have a back that fits in that mold somehow have been more successful than us. Hmmmmm. Should make you wonder about just how important that type of back it to a team's success.

Mostly agree. I would not pay Cooper either. We drafted two or three speedy receivers this year and if one of them hits, why sign another guy to a bloated contract we pay for for years.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

Ask Le'Veon Bell how things worked out for him in Pittsburgh holding out....