CFZ Signing Hopkins doesn't really make a lot of sense

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I said he’s not going to get $15 million and if he does I’m wrong. Hopkins is looking for a multiyear deal, but you don’t seem to get that. He’s likely going to have to settle for a one year deal. You seem to forget the Cowboys still have TY Hilton and they drafted a receiver. They also just signed another receiver. We’re just wasting time with this because the Cowboys aren’t assigning Hopkins.
They do not have TY Hilton, and the WR they drafted was in the 7th round fringe roster guy.

If he's not going to get $15m, why can't they afford to sign him?

I doubt they sign him, I said that a long time ago, but it's not because they can't.

quickccc

Reaction score
He's never been a separation guy. His separation last year was better tahn it was in 2019, for instance.

But I don't care if you're overpaying at WR. It doesn't cost you anythinng to do that this year.
That " overpay " prices at WR may have to come up in future big deals with Lamb, Pollard. Diggs, Tyler Biaz and maybe Steele.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. It would certainly be fun to have Hopkins in the lineup. However, firstly, let's be careful this doesn't turn into a Earl Thomas situation. Also, let's look at what I predict will be our receiving /te group to start the season on the 30, and then see where we need help.

WR: Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Moreno-Cropper, and Turpin

TE: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, and Bell.

I suppose I could see him making a nice 4 WR option, but I'm also keen to see Tolbert in camp. Remember, he was at a small school, so it can take a bit for a small school player to become accustomed to NFL speed. I think we at least should have 3 top WRs, and a nice TE group. Let's look at areas needing help:

Kicker: this is an area that is scary atm.
RB: probably could use a bit more competition.
Oline: could use more depth

I think it'd be fun if we were to get Hopkins, but i think we have at least 3 positions that need help beyond WR. I am concerned that Hopkins could be another Earl Thomas situation.
I would love to have a 6 deep group at all positions, not sure if that's possible or worth it. unless you are covering for potential injuries in your top 4, which has happened to us before. being 4 deep, will limit touches and snaps for the 3rd and 4th WR. so given Lamb is the #1 WR on this team, the question is do we see Hopkins as a potential 2, which means then cook and Gallup are 3 and 4. I don't mean that as they are not good to be #2, but that their snaps and opportunities will be like a 3rd or 4th WR. is that realistic? if Hokins is about a 3rd WR now, given his age and his drop in performance and injury history, then who is #2? I assume that's Cook. so do you spend $10M on your 4th WR? would the money not be better spent somewhere else? too much investment in WR as opposed to perhaps invest in OL dept and DEs.

unless he is clearly a #2, then I don't see him as a viable option. if his age, and injury history have caught up with him, then is he satisfied as a #4. and will he settle for lesser money? we liked Wilson, we let him walk because he wanted 8M/year and he would have been #3 WR on the team.

so not sure if financially it makes sense to have him, if top 3 are solid (as I think they are) and then Tolbert/Fehoko can give us what Wilson did two years ago. that would be more than enough.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They do not have TY Hilton, and the WR they drafted was in the 7th round fringe roster guy.

If he's not going to get $15m, why can't they afford to sign him?

I doubt they sign him, I said that a long time ago, but it's not because they can't.
TY Hilton could be brought back and the 7th receiver still provides depth if he makes the team. We just recently signed another receiver and are working out a former first round WR. Hopkins could very well get 12+ million from someone and a multiyear deal. I’ve already explained why the Cowboys aren’t going to put a lot of money into a receiver. They have four big contracts coming up with CeeDee, Diggs, Dak and Parsons. Jerry admitted he moved on from Amari Cooper because of money. He’s not going to put big money into Hopkins. We don’t have a need at WR. We have a solid starting three and the Cowboys are still high on Jalen Tolbert.

jay94

Reaction score
There not gonna sign him, which is fine, but our 4th receiver who knows and also I am much lower on the Gallup train than most of this forum. He's a good no 3 and last year he was terrible, called the signing bad before the season started. A possible receiver injury to Cooks or Lambs hurts this team alot.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? They have 3 proven NFL wide receivers. Every team has 10 guys or whatever on the roster right now, but it doesn't mean they're deep.

Do you want Simi Fehoko playing 70% of snaps if there are two injuries?
If need be, yes. Just because he isn't proven doesn't mean he can't do the job.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That " overpay " prices at WR may have to come up in future big deals with Lamb, Pollard. Diggs, Tyler Biaz and maybe Steele.
I'll say it again.

You can sign Hopkins for 3 years, and get out after 2. Just look at the JuJu contract. He'd have one year with a big cap hit (2024), and the Cowboys have a ton of cap space. They could give Hopkins 3x$50m and not lose any sleep over it.

First year of Diggs' contract is going to be a cap hit of less than $15m (see Denzel Ward). CD won't kick in until 2026.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Between Fehoko and Tolbert, WR4 is covered.
That's not the point. The point is that your WR4 will inevitably be your WR3 and at times your WR2.

You don't get Hopkins - or any other vet WR - to be your WR4. You get them to be insurance in case other guys get injured.

Big_D

Reaction score
Hopkins has visits scheduled with the Titans and Patriots so far.