CFZ Signing Hopkins doesn't really make a lot of sense

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Firstly, I'm not saying as starters. I said as depth. I think having better depth on the oline is important. I highly doubt Lewan is worse than Josh Ball. As for Risner, I thought he was one of the brighter spots of the Broncos oline. Their oline overall was bad, but I liked what I saw with Risner. Again, I get that Hopkins would be fun, but, like I said, we typically lack in depth in several areas, and oline is usually one such area.
I understand as depth. Risner is a decent run blocker but he can't pass block - 29 pressures allowed as a guard is a lot. Connor Williams is one of the better pass blocking guards, but he only gave up 13 in 2021. Biadasz gave up 22. Ball is probably going to get cut, Lewan would be competing with Waletzko as the swing tackle, and there's nothing at this point to say that he's better. Those guys are just names, they don't add anything.

WR4 is just as important a piece as your swing tackle. The Cowboys are predominantly in 11 personnel, so if you have an injury to CD, Cooks or Gallup, WR4 is now a starter. That player is going to play a lot. I'd rather overspend on a borderline HoF talent for that role than get some bad player for depth at OL. Like why are we willing to stick with Tolbert at WR4 - which is effectively second string - but not Waletzko or Farniok at T/G?

And that's all besides the fact that signing Hopkins doesn't necessarily preclude you from signing other guys anyway.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I understand as depth. Risner is a decent run blocker but he can't pass block - 29 pressures allowed as a guard is a lot. Connor Williams is one of the better pass blocking guards, but he only gave up 13 in 2021. Biadasz gave up 22. Ball is probably going to get cut, Lewan would be competing with Waletzko as the swing tackle, and there's nothing at this point to say that he's better. Those guys are just names, they don't add anything.

WR4 is just as important a piece as your swing tackle. The Cowboys are predominantly in 11 personnel, so if you have an injury to CD, Cooks or Gallup, WR4 is now a starter. That player is going to play a lot. I'd rather overspend on a borderline HoF talent for that role than get some bad player for depth at OL.

And that's all besides the fact that signing Hopkins doesn't necessarily preclude you from signing other guys anyway.

It depends on what Hopkins wants. If he wants a lot of money, then I would sign Risner, Lewan, and maybe even Darby. If he's willing to play on a 1 year deal like Randall Cobb did, then yeah. Absolutely, I bring him in assuming he doesn't prevent us from extending the Diggs and Lamb contracts. That said, the FO just worked out K'Neal Henry. So, I think they are shying away from Hopkins anyway.

As for Risner, Mike supposedly wants to run more, so Risner makes sense if that's what he wants to do. As for Lewan, I think he's a bit better than what people think. He was a long time starter for the Titans, and a damn good one while he was there. Besides, why not kick the tires with both of them? They probably won't cost much, and, if they make the team, we get some nice depth. I have another thread where I went into this more.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Signing Hopkins makes Gallup surplus unless there’s a long term injury. I think Gallup deserves a chance to make an impact this season.
Deserve or not, Dallas will want to see what he's got, his cap hit after this season is $13.85 million in 2024 and $15.85 million the next two years after that..

If he's not going to be able to get back to at least his 2019/2020 stats, Dallas will want to take a look at a free agent receiver after this year or use a high draft pick on one.

So he'll play a lot this year, lol...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Deserve or not, Dallas will want to see what he's got, his cap hit after this season is $13.85 million in 2024 and $15.85 million the next two years after that..

If he's not going to be able to get back to at least his 2019/2020 stats, Dallas will want to take a look at a free agent receiver after this year or use a high draft pick on one.

So he'll play a lot this year, lol...

I could very easily see this. I think Gallup could be a 1 June cut if he doesn't improve his numbers this year, which would lead, likely, to us taking a WR early in the next draft. Bear in mind, I know Tolbert was crap last year, but, in fairness, he went to a small school. It's possible that both Cooks and something they may have seen with Tolbert could have swayed them into not taking Hopkins.

Mannix

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. It would certainly be fun to have Hopkins in the lineup. However, firstly, let's be careful this doesn't turn into a Earl Thomas situation. Also, let's look at what I predict will be our receiving /te group to start the season on the 30, and then see where we need help.

WR: Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Moreno-Cropper, and Turpin

TE: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, and Bell.

I suppose I could see him making a nice 4 WR option, but I'm also keen to see Tolbert in camp. Remember, he was at a small school, so it can take a bit for a small school player to become accustomed to NFL speed. I think we at least should have 3 top WRs, and a nice TE group. Let's look at areas needing help:

Kicker: this is an area that is scary atm.
RB: probably could use a bit more competition.
Oline: could use more depth

I think it'd be fun if we were to get Hopkins, but i think we have at least 3 positions that need help beyond WR. I am concerned that Hopkins could be another Earl Thomas situation.
Sorry....but that WR and TE corp shouldn't scare anyone.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It depends on what Hopkins wants. If he wants a lot of money, then I would sign Risner, Lewan, and maybe even Darby. If he's willing to play on a 1 year deal like Randall Cobb did, then yeah. Absolutely, I bring him in assuming he doesn't prevent us from extending the Diggs and Lamb contracts. That said, the FO just worked out K'Neal Henry. So, I think they are shying away from Hopkins anyway.

As for Risner, Mike supposedly wants to run more, so Risner makes sense if that's what he wants to do. As for Lewan, I think he's a bit better than what people think. He was a long time starter for the Titans, and a damn good one while he was there. Besides, why not kick the tires with both of them? They probably won't cost much, and, if they make the team, we get some nice depth. I have another thread where I went into this more.
You could sign Hopkins at 3x$50m (which is what I think he'll get) and still sign all of those guys you mentioned and a kicker.

Yea I mean I'm not going to go back and forth about whether Risner and Lewan are good. I don't know how you have the logic of "Hopkins isn't signed so teams must not think he's good" but want to sign those two guys.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Sorry....but that WR and TE corp shouldn't scare anyone.
I think Lamb and Cooks is a good duo. As for Gallup, he had a horrible injury the year before late in the season. So, if he is healthier this season than he was last season, then I can see him being able to return to form. Ferguson looked promising last year and just finished training with Kelce and Kittle. That can only mean good things, and Witten seems to like him. Hendershot was brilliant for a UDFA. I am intrigued by Schoonmacher. So, I think TE, we will be fine. If Hopkins were to take a Cobb-type deal (bear in mind, Dak basically saved Cobb's career in 2019), then I could see him coming here. However, I think our oline depth is a bit less impressive than our WR group. I think Risner and Lewan would help improve that. Also, I think Kenyan Drake and Darby would be good signings.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You could sign Hopkins at 3x$50m (which is what I think he'll get) and still sign all of those guys you mentioned and a kicker.

Yea I mean I'm not going to go back and forth about whether Risner and Lewan are good. I don't know how you have the logic of "Hopkins isn't signed so teams must not think he's good" but want to sign those two guys.

I thought Hopkins was cut over a week ago, though, to be fair, I see your second argument as a good point. I just think, for depth, they'd be good choices for cheap. As for your first point, I'm not sure I go 3 x $50 mil. Alternatively, my first moves would be to extend Diggs and Lamb. Depending on the deal, we could free up a bit more cap space. However, let's assume we are left with $12 mil after those deals are done.

'd probably try a similar deal to what we did with Cobb, but with a bit more money. I'd probably offer him a 1 year $7-8 mil deal. The reason is because I am not sure he would be a good player to invest 3 years into signing. Instead, i think offering him a 1 year deal for $7-8 mil gives us a depth piece for a reasonably cheap price, and then, next year, we can collect a comp pick for him. To me, a 1 year 7-8 mil deal means we can get a kicker, and at least 3 or 4 of the players I mentioned in my other thread as they likely wouldn't cost much. So, we'd have Hopkins for one year and we'd also acquire depth as well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The league knows he’s not the same guy, that’s why nobody will pay him.

Can he make a play or two, sure. Is that worth 13-16M? No way.

And we are looking for a playoff playmaker, dude will be broken down by week 10. Multiple league execs have relayed through media that they believe he’s about done.
Hopkins knows this too now. More and more every day it's becoming increasingly obvious.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I thought Hopkins was cut over a week ago, though, to be fair, I see your second argument as a good point. I just think, for depth, they'd be good choices for cheap. As for your first point, I'm not sure I go 3 x $50 mil. Alternatively, my first moves would be to extend Diggs and Lamb. Depending on the deal, we could free up a bit more cap space. However, let's assume we are left with $12 mil after those deals are done.

'd probably try a similar deal to what we did with Cobb, but with a bit more money. I'd probably offer him a 1 year $7-8 mil deal. The reason is because I am not sure he would be a good player to invest 3 years into signing. Instead, i think offering him a 1 year deal for $7-8 mil gives us a depth piece for a reasonably cheap price, and then, next year, we can collect a comp pick for him. To me, a 1 year 7-8 mil deal means we can get a kicker, and at least 3 or 4 of the players I mentioned in my other thread as they likely wouldn't cost much. So, we'd have Hopkins for one year and we'd also acquire depth as well.
Neither Diggs nor Lamb extensions would count against the cap this year in any way, and CD's won't kick in until 2025. Once they extend Dak, they're going to be well, well under the cap next year.

You're not getting Hopkins at 1x$7m. If you go 3x$50 and jack up the guarantees, his first-year cap hit is less than $10m and you have an easy out after year 2. Basically just double Juju's deal with NE. It's a 2-year investment when you have a ton of cap space, and his contract ends before CD's next starts.

It is very easy to sign Hopkins if they want to, and it's not costing you any flexibility at all.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could very easily see this. I think Gallup could be a 1 June cut if he doesn't improve his numbers this year, which would lead, likely, to us taking a WR early in the next draft. Bear in mind, I know Tolbert was crap last year, but, in fairness, he went to a small school.
Cowboys aren't going WR early in the draft next year under any circumstances. They have plenty already. There will be bigger needs.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's possible that both Cooks and something they may have seen with Tolbert could have swayed them into not taking Hopkins.
Cooks is a short term pickup. Is on his 4th team, never stuck more than 3 years with any of the others. So I would imagine Dallas is already planning on taking a receiver high next year, or at most the year after that.

But if they're passing on Hopkins (and for the record I have said they should unless he's agreeable to a very low money deal) because of something they've "seen" with Tolbert, that's a concern, I mean the man had 3 targets, how much can you "see" with that limited amount of targets?

Their other third round drafted receivers are Gallup and Terrance Williams. Good receivers, but no HOFers, so I don't expect any more from Tolbert.

Guess Jerry thinks he's found another Jerry Rice, lol.....

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Cowboys aren't going WR early in the draft next year under any circumstances. They have plenty already. There will be bigger needs.
?

If MG13 isn't productive you have to walk away from him, then you have just CD and an aging and expensive Cooks.

It's pretty risky to sit here and bet that we can depend on Tolbert, Fehoko, and whoever long term right now.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Neither Diggs nor Lamb extensions would count against the cap this year in any way, and CD's won't kick in until 2025. Once they extend Dak, they're going to be well, well under the cap next year.

You're not getting Hopkins at 1x$7m. If you go 3x$50 and jack up the guarantees, his first-year cap hit is less than $10m and you have an easy out after year 2. Basically just double Juju's deal with NE. It's a 2-year investment when you have a ton of cap space, and his contract ends before CD's next starts.

It is very easy to sign Hopkins if they want to, and it's not costing you any flexibility at all.

Right, but here's the counterpoint. Why would I want an out in the contract after two years when I wouldn't be able to get a comp pick as a result? As for 7 mil, it's not like he's getting much in the way of options. I suppose, if needed, I could see going 9 mil year one and 11 mil in year 2 on a 2 year deal as plausible, but I'd want to have a way to where we can get a comp pick after his contract expires.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Cooks is a short term pickup. Is on his 4th team, never stuck more than 3 years with any of the others. So I would imagine Dallas is already planning on taking a receiver high next year, or at most the year after that.

But if they're passing on Hopkins (and for the record I have said they should unless he's agreeable to a very low money deal) because of something they've "seen" with Tolbert, that's a concern, I mean the man had 3 targets, how much can you "see" with that limited amount of targets?

Their other third round drafted receivers are Gallup and Terrance Williams. Good receivers, but no HOFers, so I don't expect any more from Tolbert.

Guess Jerry thinks he's found another Jerry Rice, lol.....

I'm not saying Jerry has. I'm just thinking perhaps the coaches saw something in OTAs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
lol, go look at the best teams of the last 5 years. Priority #1 is throwing the football.

Passing offense, 4-man passrush. If you don't have those two units, you can't consistently contend.
No one is arguing that you have to throw the football it’s a passing league. To score a lot of points you have to throw. We’re talking about adding a high price receiver when we traded for one, and we have another who’s due a huge contract. Had we not traded for Cook’s, Hopkins would make a lot of sense. I think we’re fine at WR. I’m more concerned about TE with Schoonmaker having plantar fasciitis.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No one is arguing that you have to throw the football it’s a passing league. To score a lot of points you have to throw. We’re talking about adding a high price receiver when we traded for one, and we have another who’s due a huge contract. Had we not traded for Cook’s, Hopkins would make a lot of sense. I think we’re fine at WR. I’m more concerned about TE with Schoonmaker having plantar fasciitis.

Not overly concerned about the plantar fasciitis. I think that's something a place like the Good Feet Store can sort out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
?

If MG13 isn't productive you have to walk away from him, then you have just CD and an aging and expensive Cooks.

It's pretty risky to sit here and bet that we can depend on Tolbert, Fehoko, and whoever long term right now.
Cowboys are loaded at WR. They could literally go 7-8 deep. Clearly they won't and some good ones will end up on the PS. That position isn't a concern unless there is mass injury.