CFZ Signing LVE this off-season vs Signing Bobby Wagner

Cowboys22

Reaction score
So I’m not the only one that notices LVE is usually stuck filling one hole while the RB is going untouched through the next hole over for 8-9 yards. I see this live 4-5 times a game. I really can’t remember the last time I saw him pick the correct hole and meet a RB at the LOS. He isn’t the only one. Everyone over persues on just about every play. That is why they are so susceptible to speed, misdirection, and gadget plays and get crushed by good coaching that recognizes this. They can overwhelm bad teams that try to play straight up but introduce misdirection and they look like Swiss cheese.

Creeper

Reaction score
LVE is what he is. He will make a good play then look bad for the next 4 plays. Some games he improves that ratio but overall he is inconsistent from play to play. I think he has poor recognition skills or something. He seems to get a slow start to the ball. He allows blocker to get to him before he gets to the hole.

Clark has some of the same issues but he is inexperienced. Still, LBs have to be instinctive. The Cowboys LBs are not. Parsons has the speed to correct for late recognition, LVE and Clark do not.

Overshown is the first Cowboys LB I can recall in years who reacts quickly and beats blockers to the hole but he only faced pre-season situations which tend to be vanilla.

IMO, the Cowboys should look for that MLB who is just a football player - he sees, reacts, hits hard.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
ohmy-george-takei.gif

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I clearly wanted Dallas to get Wagner and get rid of this LVE cancer off the team. Wagner was not finished yet and still had a couple good years left in him which would also help this defense. LVE is jus LVE.....lots of nothing, and no impact. Does not make the defense better at all.
TC, I too felt Wagner was an upgrade this team could’ve and should’ve made. But I’m not saying LVE is completely terrible. He can occasionally make plays. But again, comparing him to the future HOFer Bobby Wagner, who we could’ve acquired for almost the same money, really disappointed me because we missed a real opportunity to get a monster.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
TC, I too felt Wagner was an upgrade this team could’ve and should’ve made. But I’m not saying LVE is completely terrible. He can occasionally make plays. But again, comparing him to the future HOFer Bobby Wagner, who we could’ve acquired for almost the same money, really disappointed me because we missed a real opportunity to get a monster.
He is completely terrible. No way he starts on any other team

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I was very much in favor of signing Bobby Wagner this off-season as opposed to signing LVE. Wagner is a HOF talent who has continued to perform at very high level, even now at 33. As I watched the Cowboys once again get gashed in the running game yesterday, I wondered again, “Why didn’t we sign Bobby Wagner?”

The argument I heard from our FO against signing Wagner was pretty much centered on the idea that he was too expensive and at 33 was on the downside of a great career. Problem is when I looked at Wagner’s deal with Seattle and compared it to LVE, here’s what I discovered:
  • LVE’s contract: signed a 2 year, $8,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000.
  • Bobby Wagner‘s contract with Sea: signed a 1 year, $5,500,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $1,250,000 signing bonus, $5,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000.
I don’t understand why we couldn’t have signed Wagner. His guaranteed amount is only $500k more than LVE’s deal.

Now let’s compare stats after (only) 3 games:
  • LVE: 14 Total tackles, 10 solo, 4 assisted, 0 TFLs, 0 sacks
  • Wagner: 33 Total tackles, 18 solo, 15 assisted, 1 TFL, 0 sacks.
LVE has not played bad until yesterday. But he’s always been a health risk and has missed 16 games in 5 years. Wagner has only missed 2 games in last 5 years. He’s incredibly durable.

Wagner is a beast against the run and we could have had him for almost the same price. I’m not a LVE hater. But who would you rather have right now? LVE or Wagner? At almost the same price.
Say what you want Bobbyhaze, Wagner would have been a great additional, but there was no way he was going to sign with the Cowboys. He wanted to go back to an organization that he loves and has had great success with as his career comes to an end. I look for him to become an employee with Seattle after he retires. If Wagner really wanted to play along side Parsons he would have found a way to get a deal done, no he wanted to go home............

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
So I’m not the only one that notices LVE is usually stuck filling one hole while the RB is going untouched through the next hole over for 8-9 yards. I see this live 4-5 times a game. I really can’t remember the last time I saw him pick the correct hole and meet a RB at the LOS. He isn’t the only one. Everyone over persues on just about every play. That is why they are so susceptible to speed, misdirection, and gadget plays and get crushed by good coaching that recognizes this. They can overwhelm bad teams that try to play straight up but introduce misdirection and they look like Swiss cheese.
Lve is slow

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
Remember when LVE made a play, they'd blast the wolf howl thru the stadium, do they even do that anymore..??

diamonddelts

Reaction score
LVE is too weak to get off blocks. And couple that with the opposing OLinemen constantly in the second level due to Dallas porous Dline.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I have posted for years that GM leatherface refuses to address the Cowboys pathetic run defense with a top star at defensive tackle or linebacker. It will continue to be the team's Achilles Heel which will result in another early playoff exit.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I was very much in favor of signing Bobby Wagner this off-season as opposed to signing LVE. Wagner is a HOF talent who has continued to perform at very high level, even now at 33. As I watched the Cowboys once again get gashed in the running game yesterday, I wondered again, “Why didn’t we sign Bobby Wagner?”

The argument I heard from our FO against signing Wagner was pretty much centered on the idea that he was too expensive and at 33 was on the downside of a great career. Problem is when I looked at Wagner’s deal with Seattle and compared it to LVE, here’s what I discovered:
  • LVE’s contract: signed a 2 year, $8,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000.
  • Bobby Wagner‘s contract with Sea: signed a 1 year, $5,500,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $1,250,000 signing bonus, $5,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000.
I don’t understand why we couldn’t have signed Wagner. His guaranteed amount is only $500k more than LVE’s deal.

Now let’s compare stats after (only) 3 games:
  • LVE: 14 Total tackles, 10 solo, 4 assisted, 0 TFLs, 0 sacks
  • Wagner: 33 Total tackles, 18 solo, 15 assisted, 1 TFL, 0 sacks.
LVE has not played bad until yesterday. But he’s always been a health risk and has missed 16 games in 5 years. Wagner has only missed 2 games in last 5 years. He’s incredibly durable.

Wagner is a beast against the run and we could have had him for almost the same price. I’m not a LVE hater. But who would you rather have right now? LVE or Wagner? At almost the same price.
If you want to know the truth it's because LVE bought all-in on Quinn's system, and they rewarded him for it.

Last edited: