Signing Marcus Mariota Would Give Cowboys A True QB Battle

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
a proven starter? relatice to whom and what? what has Mariotta done to prove he is a worthy starter in the NFL. he failed in Tenn. he failed with Raiders. anything Dak has done to this point has been better than Mariotta. so what makes him a proven starter?

oh, sorry, I fell for the Tovar click bait article..
the idiot.
Lol. Yes he is. And to think he gets paid for writing/posting stupid articles.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lol. Yes he is. And to think he gets paid for posting stupid articles.
those who have no clue, and are not good at what they do and nor the understanding, usually try to be loud with a most controversial statements. they get a few click baits, but very very rapidly lose credibility, and fall off the cliff. he is probably on his way out the door

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Mariota is trash, has been since day 1. I don't trust any QB that comes from a chip Kelly system. Making QB reads easier is one thing, but the nonsense Chip was running was ridiculous. Mariotta is back up material. If anything he's a guy I'd force to throw the ball and operate from the pocket. Unless your bring in a QB ranked 7-12 or higher than it's not a competition at all and is pointless. Dak is in that 7-12 range so what QB in that range is available and will compete with him?

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen wouldn't challenge Dak like that. They want him to know it's his and there won't be any competition for it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ther last thing Booger wants is a QB controversy. Do you think he wants to do a 160M QB deal and take a chance that unravels and makes him look bad?
Romo never had anyone close to threatening his starter position…by design. Sure JJ signed some “has been” backups like Brad “check down” Johnson, Jon Kitna, Kyle Orton, Brandon “Most beautiful spiral” Weeden…etc.

One of the things JJ does as GM that hurts this roster is his absolute marriage to his “stars” like Zeke, Dak, DLaw, etc…TC competition? He would never think of it. Might threaten jersey sales and Jerry’s fragile ego.

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
For everyone saying Mariota sucks. First I also don't think Dak sucks, I just think he's highly highly overrated and not even near the best QB in the league. Second, Mariota has a career 90 QB rating, 14,000 yards and and 90 TD's (77 passing and 13 running). in 2016 he passed for 26 TD's and 9 interceptions. He's also really athletic and teams have to respect his running ability. I don't think he's better then Dak, but what would it hurt to have him as a backup at the right price and challenge Dak? The Cowboys should have a plan to let Dak go in 2 or 3 seasons, but I'm sure they will compound their mistake a offer another huge contract. I don't see what the downside is of having a decent backup (although Rush played very good) and pushing Dak a little.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why would he want to sign with another team to stay a backup??

Because he actually believes Mariota has a shot to beat Dak out. lol The guy has been a backup for several years and some would rather have him as our starting QB. This fan base gets dumber by the day.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You have fans on this board that actually believe replacing Dak, Amari and Zeke with backups will make the Cowboys a better team. :laugh:

Nexx

Reaction score
as average as Dak is Mariota even more average... wouldnt mind him as a backup at the right price.

Qcard

Reaction score
Because he actually believes Mariota has a shot to beat Dak out. lol The guy has been a backup for several years and some would rather have him as our starting QB. This fan base gets dumber by the day.
I've trying to tell everyone Dak Haters are a dumb specimen...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
as average as Dak is Mariota even more average... wouldnt mind him as a backup at the right price.

There is nothing wrong with Marcus...as a backup.

As a fan you have to establish what the team is buying.

If you want someone who can give you a chance to win (17) games that's a nyet with Marcus.

If you want someone who can manage a highly talented team and possibly contribute to win 3 to 4 games until your starter gets back - I think so.

Then it is all about the price.

You can bring him into camp, and let him show off his stuff, but thinking he is going to get the majority of the snaps in camp to prepare for the upcoming season is nuts. Also having an open competition declared with an offseason signing is a great and fabulous way to wreck and divide your locker room.

Having an open camp competition is what you do when you have a Taylor Heinicke or a Taysom Hill or Sam Darnold or Davis Mills. Dallas is not in that boat yet so let's not try to deliberately sink the boat.

If anything as fans we should have enough patience to let the players and coaches punch the holes in the boat. We are here to watch, and all will be revealed in time.

Our gripe is we should expect the management to see the ship sinkers earlier in respect to what is actually happening in the league.

IMO, Dak is not in the bottom third of the league as a QB, and Marcus Mariota is not in the top half of the league as a starter. Why court the disaster that would be awaiting Dallas unless he was prepared to come in and be backup only.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s almost like some fans want the Cowboys to be Washington. Go look at their record since they let Kirk Cousins walk. They’ve been stuck with the same caliber of starting QBs that fans here want starting for the Cowboys. Unbelievable! lol

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
o_O "Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott has been entrenched as the starting signal-caller for quite some time. Perhaps it’s time that Jerry Jones and the team’s brass brought in a proven starter such as Marcus Mariota to get a quarterback battle, or controversy, going in Dallas.

Prescott is a lightning bolt for debate among NFL fans. Some feel he’s overrated and pads his numbers with meaningless fourth-quarter stats accumulated in “garbage” time. Others see him as a two-time Pro Bowler, which is something that doesn’t grow on trees.

On the other hand, it could be argued Prescott’s status has never been challenged. The only time he wasn’t the starter was due to injury. Mariota could certainly provide a spark in Dallas if Jones signs him with the opportunity to at least challenge Prescott. Would this create a media circus? Likely. However, as we all know, Jones is no stranger to controversy." https://insidethestar.com/
They are both Tier 3 QB why bother.....

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It’s almost like some fans want the Cowboys to be Washington. Go look at their record since they let Kirk Cousins walk. They’ve been stuck with the same type of starting QBs that fans here want starting for the Cowboys. Unbelievable! lol
Gotta look at the whole picture though...Washing and Minnesota have the exact same number of playoff appearances (1) since Kirk left Washington. Keeping Kirk may have been the better move, but its not like Minnesota has this great QB that gets them to the post season year after year. How many playoff appearances did Kirk get Washington to during his time there? I need to check, but I can only remember one. It's not like they were a power house with or without him.

The Mariota suggestion is ridiculous, but this team needs to be more open to moving on from Dak IF the opportunity for improvement comes. We just cant fall for these traps of Mariota, Dalton, etc.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gotta look at the whole picture though...Washing and Minnesota have the exact same number of playoff appearances (1) since Kirk left Washington.

Cousins led Washington to the playoffs three times. He had the same playoff record in Washington that Matt Stafford had in Detroit. Cousins led Minnesota to a playoff win and may have won a Super Bowl with the Rams. Washington made the playoffs once since Cousins left and they did it with only 7 wins. They’ve gone through several backup QBs since Cousins walked and wasted a first round pick on Dwayne Haskins. They could have used that first round pick for Haskins to build around Cousins. They’re going to continue burning premium draft picks trying to find a QB. Doug Williams said a couple weeks ago they’re going to struggle until they find a franchise QB. The Cowboys would be going through the same dilemma had they allowed Dak to walk.