Signing Marcus Mariota Would Give Cowboys A True QB Battle

Flamma

Reaction score
Like I said I see Dak as a better QB than you do. I wouldn’t be lumping him in with Garoppolo, Wentz and Tannehill. I think he’s better than Cousins. Too many fans are focusing on how he played the second half of the season and are disregarding his play the previous five seasons and the first half of this past season. You would rather not be relevant and lose than to pay a QB that gives you a chance. I don’t see it that way. Losing demoralizes your fan base and you can’t market a losing team. You have to at least be competitive and with a bad QB situation you won’t be.

I see him as better than those QBs too. I've said as much in the past. But he's closer to them than he is Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady or Brees.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I see him as better than those QBs too. I've said as much in the past. But he's closer to them than he is Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady or Brees.

Well you did mention Dak with Garoppolo, Wentz and Tannehill. When Dak was playing his best football the first 7 games of the season he was a lot closer to the 4 QB’s you just mentioned. Some seem to forget or just ignore how great he looked early in the season. The previous season he was on pace for 6000 yards before he got hurt. When Dak is on his game he’s outstanding.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well you did mention Dak with Garoppolo, Wentz and Tannehill. When Dak was playing his best football the first 7 games of the season he was a lot closer to the 4 QB’s you just mentioned. Some seem to forget or just ignore how great he looked early in the season. The previous season he was on pace for 6000 yards before he got hurt. When Dak is on his game he’s outstanding.

That much is true. The lesser QBs don't put on a show, garbage time or not. Against bad teams or not. So yeah, Dak is a step up. But I think this all started in reference to Washington not paying Cousins, not Dak. You said so yourself, Miami was better off paying Tannehill. Are you in favor of Cleveland paying Mayfield and Baltimore paying Lamar Jackson?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That much is true. The lesser QBs don't put on a show, garbage time or not. Against bad teams or not. So yeah, Dak is a step up. But I think this all started in reference to Washington not paying Cousins, not Dak. You said so yourself, Miami was better off paying Tannehill. Are you in favor of Cleveland paying Mayfield and Baltimore paying Lamar Jackson?

Had Miami hung onto Ryan Tannehill it would’ve saved them a top-five pick on Tua who may go bust. Tannehill isn’t great but he’s giving Tennessee a chance every year, while Miami has been floundering. Justin Herbert has turned out better than Tua and Miami may give up the farm to go after Deshaun Watson. As for Baker Mayfield, Cleveland has a real dilemma on their hands. He’s the best QB they’ve landed since Bernie Kosar but he’s still not that good. They could’ve had Josh Allen but that’s the chance you take drafting a QB. It’s going to be hard for Cleveland move on from him because they’ve had so much trouble the past 2 decades finding a QB.

I feel they’ll make him an offer and we’ll just see what happens. It won’t be near the kind of money these other QBs are making. As for Lamar Jackson he may be looking for 45-$50 million a year and his passing numbers certainly don’t warrant that figure. He’s such an electrifying player due to his running ability you have to pay him and I believe Baltimore will. They may end up franchising him when the time comes. He’s far too explosive a player to let him walk.

Flamma

Reaction score
Had Miami hung onto Ryan Tannehill it would’ve saved them a top-five pick on Tua who may go bust. Tannehill isn’t great but he’s giving Tennessee a chance every year, while Miami has been floundering. Justin Herbert has turned out better than Tua and Miami may give up the farm to go after Deshaun Watson. As for Baker Mayfield, Cleveland has a real dilemma on their hands. He’s the best QB they’ve landed since Bernie Kosar but he’s still not that good. They could’ve had Josh Allen but that’s the chance you take drafting a QB. It’s going to be hard for Cleveland move on from him because they’ve had so much trouble the past 2 decades finding a QB.

I feel they’ll make him an offer and we’ll just see what happens. It won’t be near the kind of money these other QBs are making. As for Lamar Jackson he may be looking for 45-$50 million a year and his passing numbers certainly don’t warrant that figure. He’s such an electrifying player due to his running ability you have to pay him and I believe Baltimore will. They may end up franchising him when the time comes. He’s far too explosive a player to let him walk.

Miami said they are OUT as far as Watson goes.

I am of the same opinion in regard to Baker and Lamar. Except I would offer both a contract much lower than market value. I'd have no problem with the QBs we've been arguing about if they accepted less. The problem is they don't or they won't. They end up moving on to another team to make much less.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Miami said they are OUT as far as Watson goes.

I am of the same opinion in regard to Baker and Lamar. Except I would offer both a contract much lower than market value. I'd have no problem with the QBs we've been arguing about if they accepted less. The problem is they don't or they won't. They end up moving on to another team to make much less.

Lamar Jackson is going to be the real tricky one because he has an MVP and he’s won a playoff game. He missed a number of games this season and Baltimore ended up missing the playoffs. He’s going have quite a bit of leverage and no way would Baltimore move on from him. Mayfield isn’t going to have much leverage but Cleveland has had some of their best teams in years with him. We’ll just have to see how it plays out. If Cleveland hadn’t had such bad luck finding a QB they might be willing to move on from Mayfield but they could end up back where they were without him. He has made them a relevant team.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dallas will probably never win a SB with Dak. I can see that argument.

But "MaRcUs mArIotTa iS jUsT aS gOoD" is a silly argument. :facepalm:

Qcard

Reaction score
Great stuff between you and @KJJ

Are we assuming the Owners who set the cap really care about how much they pay QBs? I assume you base your pay structure around these ever increasing Salaries. All things being on Field fair No Dallas Cowboys QB1 should make more than the last Superbowl Winning QB1 for Cowboys Troy Aikman. But that is fantasy land.
Starting QBs with experience will command top $$. That is how the Owners want it. Baker Mayfield will get paid in Cleveland or Colts or whomever. QBs get paid.
Market Value goes beyond the Mayfield...pun intended.

I always wonder why fans care about how much players make:facepalm:

Obviously the Owners don't

Fans always pinching the Millionares. Cap Hell is a Myth. The Rams dump a No.1 QB loaded up on Stafford pun....:lmao2:

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Lol...you think Jerry will be in the market for a backup with any capability at all? I'd sooner believe he'd cut Rush and go with no backup before he made any move that would make betting the farm on Dak look worse than it already does.

Flamma

Reaction score
Great stuff between you and @KJJ

Are we assuming the Owners who set the cap really care about how much they pay QBs? I assume you base your pay structure around these ever increasing Salaries. All things being on Field fair No Dallas Cowboys QB1 should make more than the last Superbowl Winning QB1 for Cowboys Troy Aikman. But that is fantasy land.
Starting QBs with experience will command top $$. That is how the Owners want it. Baker Mayfield will get paid in Cleveland or Colts or whomever. QBs get paid.
Market Value goes beyond the Mayfield...pun intended.

I always wonder why fans care about how much players make:facepalm:

Obviously the Owners don't

Fans always pinching the Millionares. Cap Hell is a Myth. The Rams dump a No.1 QB loaded up on Stafford pun....:lmao2:

We don't know what goes through an owners head, or what motivates them. But the only thing that should motivate a fan is winning.

If there was no salary cap, as a fan, I wouldn't care if an owner paid their player 1 billion and his 3 daughters. But when there's a cap, what players make matters in regard to winning. That's why fans care.

Adreme

Reaction score
Lol...you think Jerry will be in the market for a backup with any capability at all? I'd sooner believe he'd cut Rush and go with no backup before he made any move that would make betting the farm on Dak look worse than it already does.

They already signed Dalton 2 years ago and Dalton is better now than Mariota has ever been.

Adreme

Reaction score
Two years ago was before Jerry bought the farm with Dak.

It is the same idea. He was just as all in 2 years ago as now and Dalton was never going to replace Dak just like the idea that MM could is a joke. Dalton is a better QB now than MM and Dalton couldnt beat out Justin Fields, a QB for whom you could do your taxes in the time it takes for him to complete his throwing motion.

plymkr

Reaction score
Speaking of Dalton, he's a free agent......again (lol). Any chance of a return?
I'd take him back in a heartbeat. For the right price of coarse. Former starter and he knows the offense. It wouldn't threaten Dak's ego or status as leader of them team.

Mariota doesn't impress me. I'd rather stay with Rush or bring back Dalton on the cheap.