Signing Marcus Mariota Would Give Cowboys A True QB Battle

Flamma

Reaction score
Cousins led Washington to the playoffs three times. He had the same playoff record in Washington that Matt Stafford had in Detroit. Cousins led Minnesota to a playoff win and may have won a Super Bowl with the Rams. Washington made the playoffs once since Cousins left and they did it with only 7 wins. They’ve gone through several backup QBs since Cousins walked and wasted a first round pick on Dwayne Haskins. They could have used that first round pick for Haskins to build around Cousins. They’re going to continue burning premium draft picks trying to find a QB. Doug Williams said a couple weeks ago they’re going to struggle until they find a franchise QB. The Cowboys would be going through the same dilemma had they allowed Dak to walk.

I get your main point, but with QBs like that you have to be ready and willing to build the team around them. Minnesota or Washington were never serious contenders with Cousins. The Cowboys aren't serious contenders either. If you pay a slightly above middling QB big money, what you usually get is a team good enough to get a late first round pick. What's the ultimate goal? To make the playoffs?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry isn't looking for a QB competition. He has handed the club over to Dak for the foreseeable future.

As much as I hate to say that's the case, I'm pretty sure it's factual.

Jerry actually wants to avoid a QB controversy in the worst way. :rolleyes:

For starters, it could easily tend to make Dak's contract look worse.

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
Daks career stats are so much better then Mariota let’s be realistic he wouldn’t be any competition . A more likely landing spot would be Atlanta reunite with Arthur Smith his old Tenn OC. Battle Matt Ryan the fading aging star .

plasticman

Reaction score
I would like the Cowboys to sign Mariota.

The NFL has a rich history of former #1 or #2 overall picks turning their careers around with another team by excelling in the most important games. Some of them play very little but contribute to the team's success when they do.

A Cowboys example would be Bernie Kosar, the #1 overall pick in the 1985 draft. Other examples include Jim Plunket, the #1 overall pick in 1971 and Trent Dilfer. #2 overall pick in 2009.

These were all guys that were considered washed up but came off the bench to lead their teams to a championship. The Titans had an occasional Pro Bowler on offense while Mariota was there but there was a definite lack of talent at the time. It would be interesting to see how Mariota's presence would effect Dak's performance.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Tim Tebow . Former # 1 moved around to other teams never made a dent . The Cowboys are cap strapped not really needing put scarce dollars in the hands of back up QB’s

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Anybody that thinks Dak is gonna be challenged for his job is on drugs or alcohol. You not gotta pay a player that kinda money and have him sit...no way at least not this organization. That may would indicate they were wrong about him...
THAT ain’t happening

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get your main point, but with QBs like that you have to be ready and willing to build the team around them. Minnesota or Washington were never serious contenders with Cousins. The Cowboys aren't serious contenders either. If you pay a slightly above middling QB big money, what you usually get is a team good enough to get a late first round pick. What's the ultimate goal? To make the playoffs?

You have to build around all QBs. You draft a QB and you build around them. If Matt Stafford can win a Super Bowl with a loaded team so can Kirk Cousins and Dak. Despite leading the league in INT’s and tossing 2 INT’s in the Super Bowl Stafford still won a ring. Dak is well above a middling QB. If the Cowboys put the right team around him there’s no doubt they can win a championship. A lesser QB than him and they’ll only win 6 to 8 games a season.

Flamma

Reaction score
You have to build around all QBs. You draft a QB and you build around them. If Matt Stafford can win a Super Bowl with a loaded team so can Kirk Cousins and Dak. Despite leading the league in INT’s and tossing 2 INT’s in the Super Bowl Stafford still won a ring. Dak is well above a middling QB. If the Cowboys put the right team around him there’s no doubt they can win a championship. A lesser QB than him and they’ll only win 6 to 8 games a season.

Agreed. But you're still paying top dollar for an inferior product and crossing your fingers. It's price gouging because you don't have a better option.

It's like me saying, no, I'm not a mechanic, but I'll try to fix your car. And BTW, I'm charging the same as a mechanic. Don't like it? Walk.

I would never pay a tier 2 qb like cousins or Tannehill. I'd rather go 2-13 than be mediocre and make the playoffs a few times but never be a serious contender.

Stafford stories don't happen often. And let's not forget, Stafford's cap hit wasn't that high after the trade.

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
wHAt dO lEaDerSHiP Mean?

Name one outstanding leadership intangible shown by Mariota?

Mariota wouldn't run upfield with 14 seconds left in the game.

Why do you hate America?
Why do you hate freedom and the Armenian Way of Life?
Are you always angry?
Angry enough to harm me?
Do you hear voices?

Adreme

Reaction score
MM would be competition for the backup QB spot but if you think he is competition for Dak you are either delusional about MM or about Dak and I am not sure which.

I am kind of reminded of what I believe Ryan Clark said though "If you are first round pick who plays badly you will have an entire career trying to convince people you cant play but if you are a 6th round pick you have to spend your entire career convincing people you can play".

Rayman70

Reaction score
Marriota is a gimmick QB. Streaky. He's a nice QB 2 have if your starter gets hurt for a series or u want a change of pace gadget play. Dak wouldn't be phased 1 bit.

Flamma

Reaction score
Marriota is a gimmick QB. Streaky. He's a nice QB 2 have if your starter gets hurt for a series or u want a change of pace gadget play. Dak wouldn't be phased 1 bit.

Hogwash! Put the right team around him, he can lead them to a SB. Pay him 40M a year.

Otis313

Reaction score
Mariota wouldn't run upfield with 14 seconds left in the game.

Why do you hate America?
Why do you hate freedom and the Armenian Way of Life?
Are you always angry?
Angry enough to harm me?
Do you hear voices?
Keep huffing the paint, dude!

StarLord

Reaction score
It wouldn't. We're paying Dak almost the most money in football. The Jones' threw Zeke out there down the stretch / playoffs when he couldn't get more than 2 yards on any given carry (arguably cost us the playoffs) because he was making the money.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Daks career stats are so much better then Mariota let’s be realistic he wouldn’t be any competition . A more likely landing spot would be Atlanta reunite with Arthur Smith his old Tenn OC. Battle Matt Ryan the fading aging star .

I'd be looking at Mariota as a backup. He's not very likely to oust Dak, especially with how our FO overvalues him. I expect he'd be a serious boost over Rush.