Signing Marcus Mariota Would Give Cowboys A True QB Battle

Flamma

Reaction score
I see Dak as a better QB than you do. I don’t think there’s a QB out there that could’ve won a championship with the team we had this past season. The Packers have a better team than the Cowboys but not even Aaron Rodgers can overcome the deficiencies they have that force him to have to carry the team every year. No QB is going to overcome all the penalties we had in 2021. We had issues running the ball and we lack physicality in the trenches.

I agree with you that you don't need Aaron Rodgers to win, or even get to a SB. We saw this just now in this past year. Also back in 2017. We see what Garoppolo can do with the 49ers. It's just not easy. But QBs like Dak, Garoppolo, Cousins, Wentz, Tannehill, are not like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Rodgers. Cinci didn't have this great roster. Either did Rodgers. Put one of those guys on our 2021 team and we get better results than we had.

We see it with teams that are consistently a threat to win it all every year. All of those teams always have an elite quarterback. There are no exceptions. Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Saints, just about every year. We saw it in the past with the Colts, Broncos with Elway, Miami with Marino. With the way the rules and contract structures are today, you're never going to be a consistent threat with a second rate quarterback. With a QB like Dak or Cousins, you're looking to catch lightning in a bottle. I'm not paying that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree with you that you don't need Aaron Rodgers to win, or even get to a SB. We saw this just now in this past year. Also back in 2017. We see what Garoppolo can do with the 49ers. It's just not easy. But QBs like Dak, Garoppolo, Cousins, Wentz, Tannehill, are not like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Rodgers. Cinci didn't have this great roster. Either did Rodgers. Put one of those guys on our 2021 team and we get better results than we had.

We see it with teams that are consistently a threat to win it all every year. All of those teams always have an elite quarterback. There are no exceptions. Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Saints, just about every year. We saw it in the past with the Colts, Broncos with Elway, Miami with Marino. With the way the rules and contract structures are today, you're never going to be a consistent threat with a second rate quarterback. With a QB like Dak or Cousins, you're looking to catch lightning in a bottle. I'm not paying that.

Like I said I see Dak as a better QB than you do. I wouldn’t be lumping him in with Garoppolo, Wentz and Tannehill. I think he’s better than Cousins. Too many fans are focusing on how he played the second half of the season and are disregarding his play the previous five seasons and the first half of this past season. You would rather not be relevant and lose than to pay a QB that gives you a chance. I don’t see it that way. Losing demoralizes your fan base and you can’t market a losing team. You have to at least be competitive and with a bad QB situation you won’t be.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Flushed out of the pocket at times because of pass rush.Other times because he doesn’t scan the field quickly enough or was just scared to let it rip because receivers weren’t wiiiide open.Lacks confidence to try a lot of tight window throws.

Dak is among the league’s best at tight window throws and has had to be throughout his career because our pass routes were too basic. Some of the passes he’s completed throwing into triple coverage are just flat out ridiculous. Do you even watch Cowboys’ games? If your agenda is to trash Dak 24/7 tight window passing is the absolute worst thing you could use to back up your “argument”.
:muttley:

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Dak is among the league’s best at tight window throws and has had to be throughout his career because our pass routes were too basic. Some of the passes he’s completed throwing into triple coverage are just flat out ridiculous. Do you even watch Cowboys’ games? If your agenda is to trash Dak 24/7 tight window passing is the absolute worst thing you could use to back up your “argument”.
:muttley:
Watch every single one and you’re wrong despite what the “stats” say from what 2 , 3 yrs ago is probably what you’re talking about.Another stat category that’s just garbage.All you have to do is watch the games to see how often he doesn’t see open wr’s and his struggles w/ accuracy.Doesn’t want to throw it unless wiiiiide open.You probably think he’s elite too.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Save your breath sweetheart. You'll never change a haters mind. Put them on ignore so you don't have to be bothered seeing/reading complete absurdity. :laugh:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Watch every single one and you’re wrong despite what the “stats” say from what 2 , 3 yrs ago is probably what you’re talking about.Another stat category that’s just garbage.All you have to do is watch the games to see how often he doesn’t see open wr’s and his struggles w/ accuracy.Doesn’t want to throw it unless wiiiiide open.You probably think he’s elite too.
Oh please. The man was ranked 5th last season in that category. Give it a rest. Ignore ignited! Moving on....
Not a hater, just honest.Tell it how it is.
Only in your mind.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't seem like there is much point in bringing in a guy we know we don't want as our starter to battle it out with the current guy. All that would do is create a controversy without actually improving our QB situation. Now, if they want to bring him in as a backup ...

GINeric

Reaction score
o_O "Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott has been entrenched as the starting signal-caller for quite some time. Perhaps it’s time that Jerry Jones and the team’s brass brought in a proven starter such as Marcus Mariota to get a quarterback battle, or controversy, going in Dallas.

Prescott is a lightning bolt for debate among NFL fans. Some feel he’s overrated and pads his numbers with meaningless fourth-quarter stats accumulated in “garbage” time. Others see him as a two-time Pro Bowler, which is something that doesn’t grow on trees.

On the other hand, it could be argued Prescott’s status has never been challenged. The only time he wasn’t the starter was due to injury. Mariota could certainly provide a spark in Dallas if Jones signs him with the opportunity to at least challenge Prescott. Would this create a media circus? Likely. However, as we all know, Jones is no stranger to controversy." https://insidethestar.com/

Honestly I wouldn't mind that competition in camp. I know the quarterback who won the starting nod would be better for it.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Oh please. The man was ranked 5th last season in that category. Give it a rest. Ignore ignited! Moving on.... Only in your mind.
Oh please. The man was ranked 5th last season in that category. Give it a rest. Ignore ignited! Moving on.... Only in your mind.
When’s the last time Dak hit somebody in stride?Do you really think he’s accurate?Ask David Carr about that when he absolutely embarrassed himself.Just another one to just look at a bunch of hollow stats built up on lackluster NFC least competition and soft prevent D’s because game was already in hand because for 3 quarters O did nothing against better competition.People who really know football don’t need to look up stats to see Dak wasn’t very good.You just have to watch the games.Especially in the 2nd half of the season.As a Dak hater as you say incorrectly because I’m not, just know football as a player and coach for 15 yrs.Still rank him top 10 as a “hater.”But ,you’re right, you can’t debate w/ a hater.But even worse is debating w/ an apologist who is just blind to the facts.Moreso stats sooooo don’t tell the whole story.

Last edited:

Toro9

Reaction score
Why would he want to sign with another team to stay a backup??

He is going to sign somewhere he can at least compete.

Also when is the last time Dallas paid legit money for a backup outside of Dalton?
Mariota has struggled quite a bit as a starter. He's had good games but he's also looked like a backup quite a bit too

Toro9

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like there is much point in bringing in a guy we know we don't want as our starter to battle it out with the current guy. All that would do is create a controversy without actually improving our QB situation. Now, if they want to bring him in as a backup ...
Who says we don't want him? If he wins the battle, he SHOULD be the starter. Damn the contract

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Neither am I, really. But he's got some ability. I kinda feel like Dak needs a kick in the butt too
He’s extremely athletic and maybe in the right system could thrive.Has been injury prone as a starter.Everybody, including Dak could use some competition to keep them on their toes.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Mariotta couldn't beat out the Dak that thumps the NFC east. But you could argue that he would be better in the playoffs. Dak has more choke than a hanging man at the end of a rope. The way he held the ball against the 49ers I would of at least put Cooper Rush in for a couple series. It wouldn't of been any worse.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who says we don't want him? If he wins the battle, he SHOULD be the starter. Damn the contract
The fact he has been in the league 7 years and has solidified himself as a nothing more than a bench/backup quality player, and the fact he has spent the last 2 1/2 years in exactly that role, is a pretty strong hint that he isn't going to do anything to advance the team.

QB controversies cause dissension, and it would just be something to add petty drama for the fan base, so why stir one up over someone that has given no indication in 7 years he is going to be the answer to the QB position?

If the Cowboys aren't happy with Dak they need to find a QB with the expectation of being a big step in the right direction.

Toro9

Reaction score
The fact he has been in the league 7 years and has solidified himself as a nothing more than a bench/backup quality player, and the fact he has spent the last 2 1/2 years in exactly that role, is a pretty strong hint that he isn't going to do anything to advance the team.

QB controversies cause dissension, and it would just be something to add petty drama for the fan base, so why stir one up over someone that has given no indication in 7 years he is going to be the answer to the QB position?

If the Cowboys aren't happy with Dak they need to find a QB with the expectation of being a big step in the right direction.
C'mon, man. You know the league as well as I do. Sometimes it takes QBs 10 years to figure it out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
C'mon, man. You know the league as well as I do. Sometimes it takes QBs 10 years to figure it out.
Well if that's what we are counting on we might as well go with Dak, right? :)