Signing Marcus Mariota Would Give Cowboys A True QB Battle

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It wouldn't. We're paying Dak almost the most money in football. The Jones' threw Zeke out there down the stretch / playoffs when he couldn't get more than 2 yards on any given carry (arguably cost us the playoffs) because he was making the money.
:hammer:
And so many blame Jerry for paying him. I seen this board light up saying "Pay the man Jerry" when Zeke was holding out. Now that he's been stinking it up since his payday, everyone's blaming Jerry. o_O

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agreed. But you're still paying top dollar for an inferior product and crossing your fingers. It's price gouging because you don't have a better option.

It's like me saying, no, I'm not a mechanic, but I'll try to fix your car. And BTW, I'm charging the same as a mechanic. Don't like it? Walk.

I would never pay a tier 2 qb like cousins or Tannehill. I'd rather go 2-13 than be mediocre and make the playoffs a few times but never be a serious contender.

Stafford stories don't happen often. And let's not forget, Stafford's cap hit wasn't that high after the trade.

Cousins isn’t an inferior QB he puts up numbers. Ryan Tannehill is average and doesn’t get paid top dollar. If you have a decent QB you have a chance if you have a defense but even decent QBs are making good money. I have no interest winning 5 to 8 games a season with a low priced castoff. If you’re not willing to pay a QB you end up like Washington. More than half this board wanted us to follow their lead and let our starting QB walk.

Flamma

Reaction score
Cousins isn’t an inferior QB he puts up numbers. Ryan Tannehill is average and doesn’t get paid top dollar. If you have a decent QB you have a chance if you have a defense but even decent QBs are making good money. I have no interest winning 5 to 8 games a season with a low priced castoff. If you’re not willing to pay a QB you end up like Washington. More than half this board wanted us to follow their lead and let our starting QB walk.

Cousins is inferior to Burrow, Rodgers, Herbert, Allen, Mahomes, that's what I meant. And by paying him Minnesota managed to never be a contender. Once the Rams paid Goff, how far did they go?

Cousins was a 16.5% cap hit. He's going to be a 21% cap hit in 2022. They can't build a team around him to make up for his lack of talent. Maybe Cousins on a rookie deal can do it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cousins is inferior to Burrow, Rodgers, Herbert, Allen, Mahomes, that's what I meant. And by paying him Minnesota managed to never be a contender. Once the Rams paid Goff, how far did they go?

Cousins was a 16.5% cap hit. He's going to be a 21% cap hit in 2022. They can't build a team around him to make up for his lack of talent. Maybe Cousins on a rookie deal can do it.

Cousins led Minnesota to the playoffs once and if you make the playoffs you’re a contending team. He gives them a chance every year and from what I’m hearing they don’t seem to want to move on from him. All some of you seem to worry about is a QBs cap hit. You would rather win 5-6 games a season with an average QB than pay a good QB. A QB doesn’t have to be Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes to make a lot of money. That’s life in the NFL these days. As for Jared Goff he led the Rams to a Super Bowl which is why he got paid. Did you expect them to let him walk after a Super Bowl season? It’s obvious you’re not paying a QB unless they’re elite. You need at least a good QB to have a chance to compete and if you don’t want to pay them someone will. Washington didn’t want to pay Cousins 4 years ago and they’ve struggled ever since and are still looking for a QB.

Last edited:

Brax

Reaction score
o_O "Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott has been entrenched as the starting signal-caller for quite some time. Perhaps it’s time that Jerry Jones and the team’s brass brought in a proven starter such as Marcus Mariota to get a quarterback battle, or controversy, going in Dallas.

Prescott is a lightning bolt for debate among NFL fans. Some feel he’s overrated and pads his numbers with meaningless fourth-quarter stats accumulated in “garbage” time. Others see him as a two-time Pro Bowler, which is something that doesn’t grow on trees.

On the other hand, it could be argued Prescott’s status has never been challenged. The only time he wasn’t the starter was due to injury. Mariota could certainly provide a spark in Dallas if Jones signs him with the opportunity to at least challenge Prescott. Would this create a media circus? Likely. However, as we all know, Jones is no stranger to controversy." https://insidethestar.com/
There will never be a QB battle as long as Dak is on the roster.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Mariotta is the modern-day definition of a "bus driver". A guy who will not lose you games by himself, but also a guy that will not win you games by himself. He's a role player. In fact, he's a less productive Dak Prescott.

Flamma

Reaction score
Cousins led Minnesota to the playoffs once and if you make the playoffs you’re a contending team. He gives them a chance every year and from what I’m hearing they don’t seem to want to move on from him. All some of you seem to worry about is a QBs cap hit. You would rather win 5-6 games a season with an average QB than pay a good QB. A QB doesn’t have to be Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes to make a lot of money. That’s life in the NFL these days. As for Jared Goff he led the Rams to a Super Bowl which is why he got paid. Did you expect them to let him walk after a Super Bowl season? It’s obvious you’re not paying a QB unless they’re elite. You need at least a good QB to have a chance to compete and if you don’t want to pay them someone will. Washington didn’t want to pay Cousins 4 years ago and they’ve struggled ever since and are still looking for a QB.

You're right, I wouldn't pay a QB top market value unless they were elite, or bordering on elite. You're at a disadvantage.

We worry about QB cap hits because the rest of your team is what's left over. Take a look at the teams that have been making the SB the last 5-7 years. Most are either on rookie contracts or have cap hits around 10%. And if you find an outlier, it's not going to be a QB like Cousins, it will be someone like Peyton Manning.

Tell me, how do you pay a QB like Cousins 16.5% of the cap and expect to compete against a team with a better QB on a rookie contract? You're at a disadvantage.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're right, I wouldn't pay a QB top market value unless they were elite, or bordering on elite. You're at a disadvantage.

You’re at a bigger disadvantage if you’re stuck with a castoff as you’re starting QB and you’re having to burn premium draft picks every 2 to 3 years trying to replace them. That’s a cycle that could go on for more than a decade just look around the league. Miami probably would have been better off staying with Ryan Tannehill.

conner01

Reaction score
o_O "Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Dak Prescott has been entrenched as the starting signal-caller for quite some time. Perhaps it’s time that Jerry Jones and the team’s brass brought in a proven starter such as Marcus Mariota to get a quarterback battle, or controversy, going in Dallas.

Prescott is a lightning bolt for debate among NFL fans. Some feel he’s overrated and pads his numbers with meaningless fourth-quarter stats accumulated in “garbage” time. Others see him as a two-time Pro Bowler, which is something that doesn’t grow on trees.

On the other hand, it could be argued Prescott’s status has never been challenged. The only time he wasn’t the starter was due to injury. Mariota could certainly provide a spark in Dallas if Jones signs him with the opportunity to at least challenge Prescott. Would this create a media circus? Likely. However, as we all know, Jones is no stranger to controversy." https://insidethestar.com/
Not much of a battle
If Mariota was that good he’d be getting starter money and we couldn’t afford him
There is not a GM in the nfl who would want mariota over Dak and only a desperate team would sign him as their starter

conner01

Reaction score
I agree that Jerry is not looking for any competition at QB, that said, Mariota sucks. What's the point?
No team who has a legit starter is looking for competition because the cost of signing competition in FA is too high and using a high pick in a guy likely to not touch the field anytime soon is too high a price in draft capital

Flamma

Reaction score
You’re at a bigger disadvantage if you’re stuck with a castoff as you’re starting QB and you’re having to burn premium draft picks every 2 to 3 years trying to replace them. That’s a cycle that could go on for more than a decade just look around the league. Miami probably would have been better off staying with Ryan Tannehill.

Miami missed. Herbert was there. From all accounts, they tried trading up for Burrow, Cinci wouldn't budge. Their coach wanted Herbert, they picked Tua. It certainly isn't easy.

Yes, you're right, without a QB you are at the greatest disadvantage, you're completely out of it. I prefer that than to be a decent team with no chance at winning a championship.

The Eagles made the playoffs last year. If they make the playoffs again this year, should they pay Hurts 40-45M a year?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Miami missed. Herbert was there. From all accounts, they tried trading up for Burrow, Cinci wouldn't budge. Their coach wanted Herbert, they picked Tua. It certainly isn't easy.

Yes, you're right, without a QB you are at the greatest disadvantage, you're completely out of it. I prefer that than to be a decent team with no chance at winning a championship.

The Eagles made the playoffs last year. If they make the playoffs again this year, should they pay Hurts 40-45M a year?

Miami missed because the draft is a crapshoot which is why if you got a pretty good QB you need to stay with them. They would’ve been better off staying with Ryan Tannehill it would’ve saved them a top-five pick on Tua who may not be the answer. No way is Jalen Hurts going to make $40+ million per season he doesn’t have the numbers or consistency up to this point. He’s shown some flashes but Philly still has a couple of seasons to see how much money if any they want to invest in him. The jury is still out on him. They could possibly take a QB in this draft to compete with him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

No way would I want my QB situation to be so bad that I’m completely out of it every year. That situation could go on for years. I want a QB that at least gives me a chance every year even if it cost me some pretty good money. It’s a QB driven league and you have to pay them. It’s hard to market a losing team. Fans stop coming to the games and buying merchandise which leads to real problems.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Been wanting this team to sign Tyrod Taylor for a while. A decent qb who can play but is more suited in the back up role. Guy is humble and will not step on any toes.

conner01

Reaction score
Miami missed because the draft is a crapshoot which is why if you got a pretty good QB you need to stay with them. They would’ve been better off staying with Ryan Tannehill it would’ve saved them a top-five pick on Tua who may not be the answer. No way is Jalen Hurts going to make $40+ million per season he doesn’t have the numbers or consistency up to this point. He’s shown some flashes but Philly still has a couple of seasons to see how much money if any they want to invest in him. The jury is still out on him. They could possibly take a QB in this draft to compete with him.
With the rookie cap missing ain’t as bad as it once was but it’s still a huge loss to miss in the top 10
The talent you missed by your bad pick is huge
I never got the thinking with Tua myself
Too injury prone in college which is really bad on a small guy anyway
But there are a long list of QB’s who were busts and even longer of those who were good enough to be a backup but got over drafted because you can’t win if you don’t have one. it’s a tough position to draft. I’d hate to be needing a QB going into this draft myself
One or two may be decent but there sure is no burrow or Herbert in this draft

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With the rookie cap missing ain’t as bad as it once was but it’s still a huge loss to miss in the top 10
The talent you missed by your bad pick is huge
I never got the thinking with Tua myself
Too injury prone in college which is really bad on a small guy anyway
But there are a long list of QB’s who were busts and even longer of those who were good enough to be a backup but got over drafted because you can’t win if you don’t have one. it’s a tough position to draft. I’d hate to be needing a QB going into this draft myself
One or two may be decent but there sure is no burrow or Herbert in this draft

Anytime you miss on a first round pick it hurts, especially with a QB. You end up looking back and seeing all the good players you could’ve had with that pick. It results in having to burn another first round pick on a QB. That can develop into a real troubling cycle for some teams. You don’t want to keep burning premium picks on the same position every few years trying to find the right player. It really hinders your ability to address other needs.

Flamma

Reaction score
No way would I want my QB situation to be so bad that I’m completely out of it every year. That situation could go on for years. I want a QB that at least gives me a chance every year even if it cost me some pretty good money. It’s a QB driven league and you have to pay them. It’s hard to market a losing team. Fans stop coming to the games and buying merchandise which leads to real problems.

Right, that's where we disagree, and where Jerry might agree with you. I'm not content with just being relevant. Where you see "a chance", I don't.

I do see a slim chance with Dak. But this team has to get better. It has a ways to go. An elite QB on the 2021 Cowboys would have firmly put us in strong contention to win the SB. Not be an easy out in the wildcard round.

conner01

Reaction score
Anytime you miss on a first round pick it hurts, especially with a QB. You end up looking back and seeing all the good players you could’ve had with that pick. It results in having to burn another first round pick on a QB. That can develop into a real troubling cycle for some teams. You don’t want to keep burning premium picks on the same position every few years trying to find the right player. It really hinders your ability to address other needs.
Yep
And lots of guys thought to be good prospects have been busts
If you have a top 10 QB you have to keep them
There is only 10 of them and some teams have spent decades trying to find one

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Right, that's where we disagree, and where Jerry might agree with you. I'm not content with just being relevant. Where you see "a chance", I don't.

I do see a slim chance with Dak. But this team has to get better. It has a ways to go. An elite QB on the 2021 Cowboys would have firmly put us in strong contention to win the SB. Not be an easy out in the wildcard round.

I see Dak as a better QB than you do. I don’t think there’s a QB out there that could’ve won a championship with the team we had this past season. The Packers have a better team than the Cowboys but not even Aaron Rodgers can overcome the deficiencies they have that force him to have to carry the team every year. No QB is going to overcome all the penalties we had in 2021. We had issues running the ball and we lack physicality in the trenches.