Signs of Kellen Moore within Dak's throwing game

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I'm seeing it finally this training camp. Dak throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break and hitting them in stride. Finally!

For the longest time, it was painful watching Dak place the ball where you knew the receiver was going to get immediately hit or watching receiver have to reach or contort their bodies awkwardly to catch the ball.

Go watch Kellen's QB play at Boise State. You'll find countless times when the ball is launched and there is no receiver in sight on the camera until the last second the ball is placed perfectly.

Finally seeing Dak do some of that stuff and hoping it carries into the season!!

Wrong Dak has been doing that for a while.

Xeven

Reaction score
Will. E hard to wash the Garret taint out of Dak. Dak was better in his first year before Garret coached him.

Moore too needs a cleansing of Garret taint.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Steve Young once said it takes a QB about 3 years to get settled into the west coast offense. McCarthy coached teams run... the west coast offense. So what you are seeing is McCarthy's influence on this offense.

The old Garrett system had a lot of option routes. In that type of system the QB has to stare down a receiver and anticipate what he's going to do. That's why posters on here who don't know jack crap would say Dak can't read a defense. In the west coast the QB has to read the defense then throw the ball to the open whole in the defense. No more staring a player down. The old system basically had one primary receiver and one outlet. The new system has no primary receivers and one outlet.

But like I always tell people your offensive concept is going to have other offensive concepts weaved into it. The real difference is in how often you call certain plays. So, basically Dak has to get used to all of the new play calls, and the timing associated with those plays.

I like the post, but just when McCarthy says he kept things similar for Dak do you think he's slowly leaned out of the option routes hence the changes from Beasley to Cobb to now multiple receivers moving around? I think this is a great post, showing posters outlook on what is to come.

They also had that QB challenge posted on Youtube, it's funny because everyone is hurling GOAT around with Justin Herbert but the kid had a tough time getting the ball into the bucket just like the other 6 QB's participating... it just goes to show it's hard to do this stuff and Dak can do it as well as anyone else. We are very, very underappreciative on this board we've had solid QB play for the last 6 years and his rookie season was one of the greatest seasons for any QB out there. Dak has his faults but to say he hasn't improved throughout the years is just hating.. let's see what a full offseason with no rehab will get us this year

RonWashington

Reaction score
I dunna think tha man said with rancor, good lad.
He just believes --- I imagine --- tha the hype has to be proved where it counts, and tha is in the pigiron of a cold January day swathed in lead-gray clouds and a greyish and menacing ambiance among the players and crowd.

After this summer in Dallas county I would welcome some lead gray menacing ambiance and something I fondly remember as ….rain .

As Frank Sinatra once implied “ when he was 21 it was it was a very good year it was a time of Cowboy playoff success and January victory “…at least I think the song went something along those lines …..:facepalm:

cowboyed

Reaction score
:muttley:
actors-and-actresses-who-didnt-need-any-training-1.gif
I have to give you insightful props on your reply and also your video creativity, pappydog.

RonWashington

Reaction score
So glad the Hall of Fame QB is showing Dak how it's done.

I dunno about that one ….McVay I seem to recall has only been to Canton , Ohio on a bus yet he’s taken two QB’s to the SB . Shanahan his rabid competition in that Best division in football seems to win with a fella named Garrapolo and then the guy down in Venus where it’s about a 110 every day is winning with Murray who’s quite short by NFL stature .

Kellen Moore has about equal playing / coaching pedigree . Sometimes it’s the players that have to go out and “ just win baby just win “ Al Davis .

doomsday9084

Reaction score
OK, serious question: What exactly is Moore's offense?

I thought that Garrett and Moore ran some form of descendant of Coryell/Turner/Zampese stuff, which is to say a lot of timed routes. If you go back and watch Aikman, he usually threw right as the receiver was about to break. The timing was discussed ad infinitum.

The team clearly doesn't run any type of west coast offense. MM has been rather clear about the fact that he left the current system in place.

So, if the team hasn't been running a west coast offense and hasn't been using a timed route scheme, What is it running?

If they really are just running a combination of button hooks and go routes, this really does explain why receivers never have any separation.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Its always funny to me when people bring this up.

Go look at every QB in the NFL against playoff teams prior to the playoffs.

I think there are 2 with winning records against winning teams. Brady and Rodgers. Thats it.

Rodgers is like right at 50% after last year i think....funny its TB12 and Jimmy G are the highest..Stafford is one of the lowest. Again it would be a great stat if it were tennis....in football its a team stat or its used to win an argument even though most know it literally just shows better teams generally win....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, serious question: What exactly is Moore's offense?

I thought that Garrett and Moore ran some form of descendant of Coryell/Turner/Zampese stuff, which is to say a lot of timed routes. If you go back and watch Aikman, he usually threw right as the receiver was about to break. The timing was discussed ad infinitum.

The team clearly doesn't run any type of west coast offense. MM has been rather clear about the fact that he left the current system in place.

So, if the team hasn't been running a west coast offense and hasn't been using a timed route scheme, What is it running?

If they really are just running a combination of button hooks and go routes, this really does explain why receivers never have any separation.
As were 26-4 or something of that nature if Zeke gains over 100 yards we win!
Our offense is pretty simple haven't you been watching?