Video: Signs that Trysten Hill will make our DL better

Cowboyny

Reaction score
we need pass rushers ... we need interior pass rushers ... we need nickel interior pass rushers ... at this point, i'm not overly concerned about Hill fulfilling a second round pick.
we need his ability to get to the passer, ..per nickel, per rotation, per role.
And he just may be the best DT pass rusher we have.

Circumstances have stalled his ability to impact the field. Even going into his 4th year, he's still a developing player, some were Rod Marinelli,
some have been Trysten's own immaturity and discipline issues, and a big one has been major injury, per ACL in 2020, to which he wasn't a present until mid season 2021.
Now he's showing every sign that he's recovered from that ACL.

He's been a stand out at camp and preseason, showing high motor, great agility and lateral movement, and he's not an undersized 3 tech at 310 pounds.

Good luck on finding a player for player trade for a quality backup OT, something we should've addressed immediately in FA off season,
One experienced quality vet backup (ala Cameron Irvin) and one young project. (Josh Ball) .
Now it's looking every so much we'll be trading late round conditional picks for a lower tier vet tackle.
I agree they need interior rushers, but also DLaw is expected to kick inside in certain packages.

There are still a few decent Tackles on the open market, as always it's about price. It's time to add a veteran either as a fa or via trade. Can Basham land us a serviceable backup tackle?

quickccc

Reaction score
I don’t think there’s much chance of this FO making a player for player trade. I honestly believe they are somewhat paranoid about doing them because of their trade history and their seeming lack of value placed on lineman on either side of the ball. The only kind of trades they seem to be interested in are:
  1. Trading a first round pick (or several) for a WR.
  2. Trading a late round pick for a DL.
Without looking it up, I can’t remember the last trade the Cowboys FO made that didn’t involve a WR or a DL. Their trades only seem to involve a position they highly value (WR) or don’t value much at all (OL and DL).

- Maybe when it comes to "key trades" for Olinemen, the club tends to bargain hunt for value, but when it comes to overall value,
this team will attempt to invest in highest quality linemen, per NFL draft.

- It doesn't always work, ala the Connors, but they will invest in very high picks, in drafting the Tyler's, Zach's, Tyron's and Fredrick's in according to their draft value board.
anything that's backup and swing oriented, its' gonna be mid- to late, undrafted rookies, pouching from other NFL teams' practice squads, or bargain vet FA signing.

- you're easily forgetting the Cowboys made the blockbuster major trade for Amari Cooper .and that was a 1st round pick.
which to this day, i still have no problem and applaud them for pulling the trigger for a former pro bowler and high 1st round pick
That easily was a far much better, more clever acquisition than their supposed attempted plans to recruit WR Sammy Watkins (yikes) to replace waived Dez Bryant.

quickccc

Reaction score
I agree they need interior rushers, but also DLaw is expected to kick inside in certain packages.

There are still a few decent Tackles on the open market, as always it's about price. It's time to add a veteran either as a fa or via trade. Can Basham land us a serviceable backup tackle?

which that is fine, i have no qualms about Dlaw moving around inside on nickel packages,to gain mismatch advantages, but i don't want to bank on that on a full time basis,
i'm entrusting in the DTs starting or rotational, on a full time basis.

quickccc

Reaction score
Just curious, who said his roster spot was ever in jeopardy other than some media guys? Look at how Jerry/Stephen has handled the top three draft picks that didn't do so well in the past. They play out their rookie deal w/o an extension/offer but are rarely released or cut. My point, Trysten was playing well last season before his injury. This is a contract year for him, so I'm not sure he was ever on the bubble.

.... if you haven't been curious enuff to keep checking your eyeballs in on this board,.. you'd very, very easily spot the anti-Trysten followers.. :confused:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What about using Trysten Hill as a trade chip for a swing Tackle on offense? He’s improved enough to draw interest and he’s in the last year of his contract. I think it’s worth exploring.

Whether Tristen Hill is a starter or not, I see him as, at least, depth, if nothing else. If he keeps showing signs of being "that guy" on our defensive front, then, by all means, let's strongly consider him to start. I think the FO should be smart enough to recognize what he might be capable of. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his progress in the weeks to come. He's, obviously, on the right track -- here's hoping it continues.

Moreover, I think the FO should realize what he might become to a defensive line that could easily use a possible stalwart to man a DT spot as it should be manned. I think there are others who would be tempting to other teams and prove more valuable to them than to us. Here's hoping Tristen keeps displaying the traits that could turn this DL into something special. I believe we really do need that, in no uncertain terms. ;)

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whether Tristen Hill is a starter or not, I see him as, at least, depth, if nothing else. If he keeps showing signs of being "that guy" on our defensive front, then, by all means, let's strongly consider him to start. I think the FO should be smart enough to recognize what he might be capable of. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his progress in the weeks to come. He's obviously on the right track -- here's hoping it continues.
I highlighted the phrase “FO should be smart enough” because I’m not sure they are.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Unless hill is a 1 tech he isn't starting. So keep banging the drum all you want for that contract year player
contract year stuff. This is not the NFL of old where you could lock rookies up forever. and let them walk after 7 years. Most contracts are 3, 4, or 5 years and most NFL talent develops by years 3 and 4, you get super stars that hit earlier and you get some late bloomers that hit later, but by years 3 and 4 which are now contract years for most drafted and UDFA players.

Reactions: BAT

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think I'm guilty of this. I didn't like what I heard about Hill coming out of college. He seemed to show a lot of signs that all of those things were true. It's hard to break away from that bias once it sets in.

But I've been encouraged by his play.

We've all been guilty of it from time to time but respect for being a big enough man to admit it. I try not to ever get locked in on my initial thoughts on a player that I don't know much about just based on what I hear. I prefer to watch and see what the kid does on the field. Hill didn't do much on the field the last three years for various reasons but he did show flashes.. It may all be coming together for him at just the right time. I readily admit I root for all the guys the Cowboys draft to be great. So I typically fall into the other category of hoping the ball out regardless...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
which that is fine, i have no qualms about Dlaw moving around inside on nickel packages,to gain mismatch advantages, but i don't want to bank on that on a full time basis,
i'm entrusting in the DTs starting or rotational, on a full time basis.
We have been seeing a 3 man line of Gallimore, Bohanna and Goldston on the early downs.

quickccc

Reaction score
We have been seeing a 3 man line of Gallimore, Bohanna and Goldston on the early downs.

in the preseason ? ... or this how it is gonna be when the reg season hits, ..with no Osa on early downs ?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
in the preseason ? ... or this how it is gonna be when the reg season hits, ..with no Osa on early downs ?
Yes, in the preseason. Osa hasn't played many snaps. You would think he replaces Golston to go with DLaw when games count.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He hasn’t done crap in three seasons. He’s been referred to in the same breath as Taco. This summer he’s had a good camp we’ll see how it goes from here. He obviously knows this is his last shot with the team. A good camp and a nice preseason game isn’t going to change my opinion of him until he shows up in the regular season.
Agreed. 3 years and we hear the same thing every camp ("uhh relentness motor, showing great flashes") but nothing on the actual field when it counts. All we've heard is falling asleep during a meeting, being a healthy scratch, and punching someone after a game.

I've also found it strange that the defensive side of the ball usually comes off as a brotherhood and tight knit yet i've never heard a single defensive player mention Hills name which is unheard of for a 2nd round pick (kinda re-enforces the rumors of him being immature and socially akward).

I think his ceiling this year will be a poor mans maliek colins. Rotational DT on pass rushing downs who will show some flashes but will be a non-factor against the run and non-factor pass rushing against better lines

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agreed. 3 years and we hear the same thing every camp ("uhh relentness motor, showing great flashes") but nothing on the actual field when it counts. All we've heard is falling asleep during a meeting, being a healthy scratch, and punching someone after a game.

I've also found it strange that the defensive side of the ball usually comes off as a brotherhood and tight knit yet i've never heard a single defensive player mention Hills name which is unheard of for a 2nd round pick (kinda re-enforces the rumors of him being immature and socially akward).

I think his ceiling this year will be a poor mans maliek colins. Rotational DT on pass rushing downs who will show some flashes but will be a non-factor against the run and non-factor pass rushing against better lines

Taco actually had a pretty good camp the year we cut him. He even had a couple of sacks in our final preseason game. Most here thought he was going to make the team. Assuming Hill makes the team he has to stay healthy and produce this season. It’s now or never for him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, in the preseason. Osa hasn't played many snaps. You would think he replaces Golston to go with DLaw when games count.

i don't expect the bulk of our DL to play at all. especially Dlaw, Osa or Gallimore. .. if Golston or Hill does play in the rehearsal final game, it will be a couple of series, maybe one quarter and
then they are out. Ditto with Bohanna.

As far as reg. season. something is gonna go down, because early downs or not, Osa is flat one of our upcomers and interior players and he's gotta be in there more than others like
Golston and Bohanna, imo. .

eromeopolk

Reaction score

3 year rule on draft picks. He lost 2020 with knee injury.

Known for his ill temperament (fights, late hits, and suspensions), I would love for the Cowboys to sign NdaumKong Shu and have those two rushing the passer from the inside.

quickccc

Reaction score
3 year rule on draft picks. He lost 2020 with knee injury.

Known for his ill temperament (fights, late hits, and suspensions), I would love for the Cowboys to sign NdaumKong Shu and have those two rushing the passer from the inside.

and Hill was slow to recover from that 2020 ACL injury ..missing half a season in 2021.

Ironically for much of his career, Suh was known as a bonehead for the same kind of infractions, before he seemed to settle and mellow up as he got older.
and its a reason why Bucs let Suh walk, in place of injury prone ex Bears Akiem Hicks... and a reason why Suh is still out on the streets.

Praxit

Reaction score
....I will admit, he has improved. How much? Will wait for season.

kskboys

Reaction score
i don't expect the bulk of our DL to play at all. especially Dlaw, Osa or Gallimore. .. if Golston or Hill does play in the rehearsal final game, it will be a couple of series, maybe one quarter and
then they are out. Ditto with Bohanna.

As far as reg. season. something is gonna go down, because early downs or not, Osa is flat one of our upcomers and interior players and he's gotta be in there more than others like
Golston and Bohanna, imo. .
Osa plays a different position than Bohana.