News: Simi Fehoko Is Potentially Our New TE

kskboys

Reaction score
Odds are stacked against it, (being coached up per agility drills, to be more flexible, agile) but it may not be out of the question.
- It's a reason why the Cowboys took a WR prospect from a big school with such size/speed ratio.
- Just as it's a reason why such a size/speed freak athlete from a big school also slipped so far in the late rounds.
You can't coach up ability.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it would be worth a look before shooting down the ideal. Kyle Pitts is not exactly a blocking TE but his speed at TE creates major mismatches

quickccc

Reaction score
You can't coach up ability.

You can "try ' to coach up flaws such as footwork, balance, stance, to try to minimize those lacking to try to improve that player, ...but you cannot coach up natural fluidity, imo.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Hooooold the phone. Lacks shiftiness? How do people not know that shiftiness/short area quickness is absolutely instrumental for a TE? Holy smokes, tell me you guys know this. What do you think is necessary for a TE to stay in front of the guy he's blocking? That would be "shiftiness". That "shiftiness" is also how a TE gets open. Holy Larry, really?

What do you call a TE who lacks "shiftiness"? You call him Gavin Escobar.

Sheeesh.
Indeed, you definitely have to look at the Antonio Gates of the game, Kelces' are rare.

kskboys

Reaction score
Indeed, you definitely have to look at the Antonio Gates of the game, Kelces' are rare.
I don't know anything about Feho, but I do know that when I saw him in pre, he looked horrific. Looked as if he just didn't have it. Looked awkward. Has the signs of a backup at most, IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Feho, but I do know that when I saw him in pre, he looked horrific. Looked as if he just didn't have it. Looked awkward. Has the signs of a backup at most, IMO.

said the same thing about Schultz when he 1st came to Dallas. Sometimes a rookie does not come in and show much in year 1.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry to say but I think this is another example of the Cowboys over-valuing their talent. Fehoko is a backup WR at best. At worst he’s a starter in the USFL.

I don't know if this is fair. After all, are they actually making a commitment to the guy, or is it more that they are saying he isn't going to cut it as a WR so making the switch is just the only chance he has?

quickccc

Reaction score
I think it would be worth a look before shooting down the ideal. Kyle Pitts is not exactly a blocking TE but his speed at TE creates major mismatches

i like to more prefer a possible TE projection to more the Darren Waller WR to TE project comparisons than comparing him to a " generation" considered TE such as Kyle Pitts.
It's not just speed with Pitts, as it's also about his overall natural receiving skills, fluid-ness, footwork, change of direction,

Evan Ingram was a measured jet set 4.4 speed 40 time TE guy coming out of college and into the first round , but you'd never know it at this point of his career
as he's never played like it, never translated to the playing field for whatever reason or another,

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Looked like a rookie?

quickccc

Reaction score
said the same thing about Schultz when he 1st came to Dallas. Sometimes a rookie does not come in and show much in year 1.

Besides Schultz and Jarwin, were there any other TEs on the roster at that time ? Witten had just announced his sudden, surprising retirement, ..but did we still have
Geoff Swaim ? ..... and James Hanna ?.

And were we still fiddling around with Rico Gathers on our roster back also back then too .?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
i like to more prefer a possible TE projection to more the Darren Waller WR to TE project comparisons than comparing him to a " generation" considered TE such as Kyle Pitts.
It's not just speed with Pitts, as it's also about his overall natural receiving skills, fluid-ness, footwork, change of direction,

Evan Ingram was a measured jet set 4.4 speed 40 time TE guy coming out of college and into the first round , but you'd never know it at this point of his career
as he's never played like it, never translated to the playing field for whatever reason or another,

Not really comparing him to either, I used Pitt as an example of a guy who is not asked to block and has speed. Really do not know what Fehoko can or can't do. I do know that Fehoko brings speed and height. If Waller is the guy you would compare him to, that is fine but Fehoko has greater speed. We just do not know enough of what we have in Fehoko or not.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Besides Schultz and Jarwin, were there any other TEs on the roster at that time ? Witten had just announced his sudden, surprising retirement, ..but did we still have
Geoff Swaim ? ..... and James Hanna ?.

And were we still fiddling around with Rico Gathers on our roster back also back then too .?

My point was as a rookie we don't know what we have, He saw little time but as a 5th rd pick, that is not a shock that he was used in special teams not much other than that. Meanwhile Jarwin is under contract as is Sean McKeon .

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if this is fair. After all, are they actually making a commitment to the guy, or is it more that they are saying he isn't going to cut it as a WR so making the switch is just the only chance he has?
That’s a fair question. I would love to see Fehoko develop into an excellent receiver and it certainly can happen. My response earlier was more of an attempt at humor. Plus my doubt in this organization’s ability to really understand and honestly assess its own talent.

McClay is really good at finding talent. But Jerry doesn’t know how to structure his organization to truly recognize and develop talent. He just thinks if he drafts them, they’re automatically good. When your GM doesn’t “get it” when it comes to talent development, you’re instantly behind an 8 ball.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That’s a fair question. I would love to see Fehoko develop into an excellent receiver and it certainly can happen. My response earlier was more of an attempt at humor. Plus my doubt in this organization’s ability to really understand and honestly assess its own talent.

McClay is really good at finding talent. But Jerry doesn’t know how to structure his organization to truly recognize and develop talent. He just thinks if he drafts them, they’re automatically good. When your GM doesn’t “get it” when it comes to talent development, you’re instantly behind an 8 ball.

Coach is the one trying to develop his skills not the GM. GM role is to get the players for the HC, it falls to the HC to get something out of the player. Unless you want Jerry coaching the team as well. Ultimately you want the HC working with the GM to bring in talent that the HC can work with.

conner01

Reaction score
Odds are stacked against it, (being coached up per agility drills, to be more flexible, agile) but it may not be out of the question.
- It's a reason why the Cowboys took a WR prospect from a big school with such size/speed ratio.
- Just as it's a reason why such a size/speed freak athlete from a big school also slipped so far in the late rounds.
The odds are stacked
But the odds are most of the players you draft won’t be in the league very long
There are more UDFA make it than 6 or 7th round picks
But sometimes you can find a role to get a guy to contribute if the guy has the motivation and you can be creative in how you use him

quickccc

Reaction score
The odds are stacked
But the odds are most of the players you draft won’t be in the league very long
There are more UDFA make it than 6 or 7th round picks
But sometimes you can find a role to get a guy to contribute if the guy has the motivation and you can be creative in how you use him

Ironically, a number of those undrafted guys you're mentioning ..actually already have 5th, 6th and 7th round draft board grades on them, but for whatever
reason, they slide right out of the NFL draft,

So it could be a chance, we can likely stumble upon more of a number of late round gem types in undrafted rookie class as compared to number of late round
picks.

That's of course if we are successful in those hidden gems sign on as undrafted rookies. (ala Terrence Steele)