Simone Biles: Quitter or champion of mental health?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She is literally the platoon leader who abandoned the troops when the fighting started. Never seen anything like this in 40 years of watching the Olympics.

Bigdog

Reaction score
This is tough one. Part of me applaud her for thinking about her mental health above all else. Mental health is no joke. The other part of me is that she quit on her teammates in time of need. Things got tough and she bailed on them. She has been in this situation before as far as the Olympic competition and the stressors that comes with it. She is consider the best of all time and maybe that just got to her. It happens. I see on social media some people are comparing this to football players not bailing on their teammates in big games and that it has never happen but it has. In the 2001 or 2002 Super Bowl I think the Raiders center Barrett Robbins went AWOL the night before the game and didn’t even show up due to the pressure. I am tossed on this.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t think she has a mental health issue, it appears the pressure just got to her. I said the first night that she didn’t look focused and was struggling. A few bad performances and she quit on her team, the mental health is just a cover for a poor performance…..IMHO of course.

With that said, good move to remove herself from it due to being pretty dangerous stuff if your head isn’t in it.

Last edited:

RaZon

Reaction score
I have never liked seeing young athletes and $$$$$ endorsements. Just don't like it.

Remember RGIII selling everything, where is he? Oldsters who have proven themselves, cool.

She got into being a celebrity and I think it hurt.

Too much of this....

Reid1boys

Reaction score
She is literally the platoon leader who abandoned the troops when the fighting started. Never seen anything like this in 40 years of watching the Olympics.
IM sorry.. I just cant give her a pat on the back. Is she seeing a therapist? You think athletes in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and so on never had issues to deal with. This damn generation is just a bunch of wimps.... sorry. I know Ill get slammed.... but damn, its called life. I cried my freaking eyes out when I was 21 years old as I had to get on a c5 plane and fly to Saudi Arabia not knowing if I would ever see my wife and 3 year od daughter again. I can promise you, that was more stressful than anything these 15-30 year olds deal with today... and they fall apart like a damn house of cards.

Now, if they were seeing a therapist and bowed out before the Olympics... whole different story, but I absolutely think this young generation has the game figured out in this damn soft society. Just cry that I have mental health issues and all is forgiven. Well f off while the rest of us deal with this thing called life and keep on trucking.

I saw things and went through things no young kid should have to deal with. I dont sit around now and use that as a crutch for all of my shortcomings in life....ugh. This infuriates me.

RaZon

Reaction score
Wonder how this will sit with all her sponsers, these companies what to be associated to winners. Seeing a quitter hawking their product, hmmm?

Bigdog

Reaction score
I don’t think she has a mental health issue, it appears the pressure just got to her. I said the first night that she didn’t look focused and was struggling. A few bad performances and she quit on her team, the mental health is just a cover for a poor performance…..IMHO of course.

With that said, good move to remove herself from it due to being pretty dangerous stuff if your head isn’t in it.
She could be diagnosed with Adjustment Dis with mix emotions but that is really stretching it. Don’t think it is in the DSM V as it was in the DSM IV-R.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

"After further medical evaluation, Simone Biles was withdrawn from the final individual all-around competition........." -ESPN.com

Notice how they are wording this to try and salvage her reputation. She didn't withdraw...... rather she "was withdrawn" implying a team of medical experts deemed her unfit to compete. The whole thing is just ridiculous. She is perfectly healthy. It is clear she doesn't want to be there. She had a bad vault and simply doesn't have the mental toughness to pull herself together.

Big_D

Reaction score
She's been in world competitions since 2013. She's very talented, but this looks more like she just flaked. Mental health has become an out these days. Specially when there's been no signs or mention previously. The expectations heading in to these games for her were a different animal than most. But this definitely looks like she just couldn't handle the pressure.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Wonder how this will sit with all her sponsers, these companies what to be associated to winners. Seeing a quitter hawking their product, hmmm?

I suspect that her sponsorship IS the reason she was in these Olympics. To compete at that level, you've got to be completely committed. If your key motivation comes from your agent and managers and contracts and sponsor reps, it doesn't work so well. We've seen this before with athletes. This just sounds like she was done and was pushed back in.

lukin2006

Reaction score

Reid1boys

Reaction score
She's been in world competitions since 2013. She's very talented, but this looks more like she just flaked. Mental health has become an out these days. Specially when there's been no signs or mention previously. The expectations heading in to these games for her were a different animal than most. But this definitely looks like she just couldn't handle the pressure.

IM a teacher and I taught Summer School for the first time in my career this Summer. (two kids in college at the same time.....I should be crying about my mental health) For the first time in my 18 year career I had a kid come in and use mental health as a reason for not getting his stuff done. What a load of crap. HS aged kids arent stupid, and they are gonna work this system for all its worth. Hey, all I need to do is say the stress of school is overwhelming and I have been depressed and blah blah blah. He wasnt interested in seeing the school counselor.

Im sick of this mental health excuse as a way of getting out of being responsible.

Seems to me Osaka's mental health is pretty good when she plays on hard courts. Seems Biles mental health is pretty good when shes dominating everyone.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simone Biles: I was sexually abused by USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar | Simone Biles | The Guardian

Simone Biles: How Olympic star overcame childhood hunger and sexual abuse to become world's greatest gymnast | US News | Sky News

Questioning her mental health struggles, really? Look at what this lady has been through, look at what she has overcome to become the greatest female gymnast of all time. I think she is a remarkable person and athlete...she's a champion in my book.

Was she abused between the last Olympics where she won gold medals and this week?

She WAS a champion and now she is a self-pity case and she quit on her team.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Simone Biles: I was sexually abused by USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar | Simone Biles | The Guardian

Simone Biles: How Olympic star overcame childhood hunger and sexual abuse to become world's greatest gymnast | US News | Sky News

Questioning her mental health struggles, really? Look at what this lady has been through, look at what she has overcome to become the greatest female gymnast of all time. I think she is a remarkable person and athlete...she's a champion in my book.

wait.... I thought she has overcome all of those things? Now all of the sudden she cant live with the stress of all she has been through? How many of those athletes do you think have similar issues? I walked in as a toddler to my dad beating my mom with a belt. I had to heat water on an electric stove to put in the tub to take a bath. I watched my mom get beat often, dealt with the violence and mental abuse of an alcoholic.........had the stress of bombs imploding my tent from air pressure and was woke up over and over again by scud missile alarms.

How you think my employer would deal with me if I went in every now and then and said I cant work today, I just cant cope with the mental anguish ??
You think IM unique? Hell no, A huge part of this population has crap to deal with... its called life.

terra

Reaction score
What is really disgusting is how she is pretty much getting a pass on quitting on her team mates.

But then the media of today obey their masters and only put out what THEY want.

Smone Biles is a protected person and therefore you will not say anything bad about her.

They spent several years building her up as the greatest gymnast of all times and all that investment cannot be just let go.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

and this is EXACTLY why everyone in that age group is going to go to the "Mental health" card, every time they have any adversity.... because we are all suppose to keep quiet and not add to their anguish or question anything they do because of all the hard times they are trying to overcome. Wow, how convenient to be able to hold that card in the back pocket just waiting to use it.

By the way... how many people in here, and I cant say for sure, but quite possibly you, were bashing Randy Gregory for a few years in here. I dont remember seeing too many people sympathetic to Mr. Gregory and his mental health issues.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
People shouldn't make judgements about someone they don't even know. None of us is perfect.
one last thing..... I would love to see Dak get us to the NFC title game and then not play, saying the pressure from all those rabid Cowboy fans and expectations over his huge contract was just too much for him to deal with and for his mental health, he needed to skip the game.
Then lets see if you say we shouldnt be questioning people we dont know.