Simone Biles: Quitter or champion of mental health?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
one last thing..... I would love to see Dak get us to the NFC title game and then not play, saying the pressure from all those rabid Cowboy fans and expectations over his huge contract was just too much for him to deal with and for his mental health, he needed to skip the game.
Then lets see if you say we shouldnt be questioning people we dont know.
I bet you really would love seeing that.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I bet you really would love seeing that.
not really, I would hate it..... but I would like to see the different stance you would take with Dak vs Simone. Same with the media. She is gonna get an absolute pass in the media and online...... do you think that would be the case with a male athlete?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
not really, I would hate it..... but I would like to see the different stance you would take with Dak vs Simone. Same with the media. She is gonna get an absolute pass in the media and online...... do you think that would be the case with a male athlete?
You said you would love it.
one last thing..... I would love to see Dak get us to the NFC title game and then not play, saying the pressure from all those rabid Cowboy fans and expectations over his huge contract was just too much for him to deal with and for his mental health, he needed to skip the game.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In this case, I don't even think you have to know her to process what happened. She won the olympic trials last month. She was at peak performance level headed to Tokyo. She is physically healthy by her own admission. Even if she had been abused when she was younger, she was still able to win Olympic gold 4 years ago as well as numerous World Champion titles. Whatever abuse she suffered has never held her back or impeded her....... until this week. It makes no sense. I think she simply isn't accustomed to failing and is so psychologically fragile that she couldn't bounce back from a bad vault. So she's now playing the mental health card. Didn't Kerry Strug or someone do a vault on a broken ankle a few Olympics ago and help her team claim gold? A broken ankle is adversity.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Let me introduce the younger folks on here to what a real gymnastics champion looks like.......... Kerri Strug 1996

Reid1boys

Reaction score
In this case, I don't even think you have to know her to process what happened. She won the olympic trials last month. She was at peak performance level headed to Tokyo. She is physically healthy by her own admission. Even if she had been abused when she was younger, she was still able to win Olympic gold 4 years ago as well as numerous World Champion titles. Whatever abuse she suffered has never held her back or impeded her....... until this week. It makes no sense. I think she simply isn't accustomed to failing and is so psychologically fragile that she couldn't bounce back from a bad vault. So she's now playing the mental health card. Didn't Kerry Strug or someone do a vault on a broken ankle a few Olympics ago and help her team claim gold? A broken ankle is adversity.
The mental health card is amazing. Allows you to not only be excused for whatever behavior you do, but you get PRAISED for it as well. Damn.....Who needs the "Twinkie defense," in a court case....

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Let me introduce the younger folks on here to what a real gymnastics champion looks like.......... Kerri Strug 1996

Still amazing after all these years! Yes.... a true , gritty, CHAMPION. If anyone had a reason to quit, it was her. I bet her dog even died when she was 5 years old, so overcoming that injury along with that anguish she was carrying, was simply unreal.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still amazing after all these years! Yes.... a true , gritty, CHAMPION. If anyone had a reason to quit, it was her. I bet her dog even died when she was 5 years old, so overcoming that injury along with that anguish she was carrying, was simply unreal.

She did the exact opposite of Simone Biles. She botches the first vault injuring her ankle. Then goes right back with a team gold medal on the line and sticks the same vault before limping off the mat. Thats a real champion.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've been reading some reports on this and many are saying that was child abuse and she should had stood up to her coach and demanded her health was more important than a gold medal. Different times (thank goodness) back then.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been reading some reports on this and many are saying that was child abuse and she should had stood up to her coach and demanded her health was more important than a gold medal. Different times (thank goodness) back then.

She was literally an adult in 1996.

I just posted it to illustrate the difference between a real champion and Simone Biles.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mixed feeling, clearly she bailed on her teammates. I'm sorry she should have finished out the team portion then if she did not feel she should be competing in the individual events because of emotional or mental issues then that is her choice but I just can't justify bailing on teammates

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mixed feeling, clearly she bailed on her teammates. I'm sorry she should have finished out the team portion then if she did not feel she should be competing in the individual events because of emotional or mental issues then that is her choice but I just can't justify bailing on teammates

That and the fact she took an Olympic spot from someone else.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She was literally an adult in 1996.

I just posted it to illustrate the difference between a real champion and Simone Biles.
Oh, I agree. She was an American Hero. True champions are the ones who overcome adversity and come out on top and not run away because it's too "hard".

Bigdog

Reaction score
IM a teacher and I taught Summer School for the first time in my career this Summer. (two kids in college at the same time.....I should be crying about my mental health) For the first time in my 18 year career I had a kid come in and use mental health as a reason for not getting his stuff done. What a load of crap. HS aged kids arent stupid, and they are gonna work this system for all its worth. Hey, all I need to do is say the stress of school is overwhelming and I have been depressed and blah blah blah. He wasnt interested in seeing the school counselor.

Im sick of this mental health excuse as a way of getting out of being responsible.

Seems to me Osaka's mental health is pretty good when she plays on hard courts. Seems Biles mental health is pretty good when shes dominating everyone.
I want to thank you for your service to our country and to everyone else who serves or served for protecting our freedom. I too have two kids in college but not really stressed about because I planned for it. Made a lot of sacrifices to do it. Unfortunately people deal with stress differently. The kid who didn’t his schoolwork for you this summer might have been depressed due to losing someone close to him or he might just used it as an excuse like you said for not doing it. Talking to a counselor could help clear that up but even train therapists can get fooled. Mental health is tricky and predicting human behavior is difficult. Part of me said that Simone pulled out and let her teammates down. The other part of me thinks she did her teammates a favor and that she was not feeling it and instead of hurting her teammates more due to her not mentally being in it, she elected to pull out. That vault was awful and I think it was the lowest score out of all the competitors. I can see both sides of this. If she was mentally done before the competition she should have pulled out and let someone else take her spot.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I want to thank you for your service to our country and to everyone else who serves or served for protecting our freedom. I too have two kids in college but not really stressed about because I planned for it. Made a lot of sacrifices to do it. Unfortunately people deal with stress differently. The kid who didn’t his schoolwork for you this summer might have been depressed due to losing someone close to him or he might just used it as an excuse like you said for not doing it. Talking to a counselor could help clear that up but even train therapists can get fooled. Mental health is tricky and predicting human behavior is difficult. Part of me said that Simone pulled out and let her teammates down. The other part of me thinks she did her teammates a favor and that she was not feeling it and instead of hurting her teammates more due to her not mentally being in it, she elected to pull out. That vault was awful and I think it was the lowest score out of all the competitors. I can see both sides of this. If she was mentally done before the competition she should have pulled out and let someone else take her spot.

I am not stressed over my kids in college. We are in the best financial shape of our lives, and thats after already putting our oldest through her masters. I was mocking the "stress," of .......... living.

I would also have had no problem had she pulled out PRIOR to her bad vault and she didnt take a spot on the team.
BUT, just like Osaka, seems strange Osaka has mental health issues when playing on a surface where she is very avg.

I didnt see her stressing over press media meetings when she was kicking butt in Wimbledon. For someone who doesnt like the media spotlight, she sure is all over the place VOLUNTARILY right now.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
What is really disgusting is how she is pretty much getting a pass on quitting on her team mates.

But then the media of today obey their masters and only put out what THEY want.

Smone Biles is a protected person and therefore you will not say anything bad about her.

They spent several years building her up as the greatest gymnast of all times and all that investment cannot be just let go.

Michael Phelps quit twice, claiming that the pressure made him suicidal. Do you view him the same way?

I think it takes self awareness for her to admit she was a liability to the team.