Since 2012 Beasley ranks 55th among WRs in yards

dwreck27

Reaction score
Replace him with who? Rookie WRs don't come into a slot role and be nearly as productive as Beasley, and there is no WR on the market who would provide better value.

Veteran FA WRs are Allen Hurns, Donte Moncrief, Paul Richardson or Danny Amendola. You're not going to get Cole Beasley cheap.

What about Adam Humphries??

Look if Dak is our guy he needs to pick up the play of the guys around him... If we cannot go cheap on a slot WR than this might be very telling that Dak is not the guy and we might need to blows this thing up and rebuild

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What about Adam Humphries??

Look if Dak is our guy he needs to pick up the play of the guys around him... If we cannot go cheap on a slot WR than this might be very telling that Dak is not the guy and we might need to blows this thing up and rebuild
Humphries is going to be more expensive than Beasley, and I'm not really convinced that he's any better.

I think it's more system than Dak, but in general I agree.

817Gill

Reaction score
He’d be top 10 if Romo were still here or if he got to play with Brady!
Romo hardly ever used Beas. He had Dez and Witten aka actual star players. He even used T-Will considerably more than he ever did Beas. Cole’s role just came up the last few seasons when the pass catching options either got too old or injured. Once Amari and Gallup started doing their thing Cole complained about his lack of targets, because guess what you’re not gonna target him more than Gallup or Coop. Duh

Creeper

Reaction score
I like Beasley's game but its hard to see the Cowboys giving him a huge contract considering all the other players they need to sign. Beasley is really good at one thing and that is getting open for those short yardage plays. Its good to have him in that role but is it worth $6 mil a year? No. TWill got about $3.5 mil and I don't see Beasley getting more than that considering TWill was a #2.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Romo hardly ever used Beas. He had Dez and Witten aka actual star players. He even used T-Will considerably more than he ever did Beas. Cole’s role just came up the last few seasons when the pass catching options either got too old or injured. Once Amari and Gallup started doing their thing Cole complained about his lack of targets, because guess what you’re not gonna target him more than Gallup or Coop. Duh
Beasley had 19 more targets than Gallup.

Tony used Beasley less because he needed him less and because, simply, Beasley wasn't as good with Tony. He was a UDFA who took a couple of years to get where he is. I don't think people appreciate Beasley's skillset enough. He is absolutely elite as a route runner.

817Gill

Reaction score
Beasley had 19 more targets than Gallup.

Tony used Beasley less because he needed him less and because, simply, Beasley wasn't as good with Tony. He was a UDFA who took a couple of years to get where he is. I don't think people appreciate Beasley's skillset enough. He is absolutely elite as a route runner.
Also because of the other peices. Gallup might have been targeted less for the whole year but it’s pretty obvious the team was trying to get him more touches as the second half of the season came.

The bold is you admitting that a slot WR isn’t as crucial as the last 3 years have made us think. Beas didn’t get quicker over time and sure as hell didn’t get better at route running under Dooley. The man has been basically the same guy for a while, the only difference was the holes left by Dez and Wittens aging weren’t filled until now. With Gallup and Coop, Beasley’s value goes down tremendously cause he’s simply not as needed. He was basically the #1 WR the last 2 years or so. Now he’s an easy 3. That’s life as a slot WR

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

If he moves the chains at critical times, which is an accurate way to describe his career, then being 55th isn't as critical. Especially for a guy who catches short passes, and a successful play means getting past the first down marker.

Once again someone uses stats to make a determination. But the stats don't begin to tell the story and at more a tunnel vision to support a flawed theory.

Stats can be made to tell you Rosie O'Donnell could win Miss America. Even when your eyes suggest the opposite.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Also because of the other peices. Gallup might have been targeted less for the whole year but it’s pretty obvious the team was trying to get him more touches as the second half of the season came.

The bold is you admitting that a slot WR isn’t as crucial as the last 3 years have made us think. Beas didn’t get quicker over time and sure as hell didn’t get better at route running under Dooley. The man has been basically the same guy for a while, the only difference was the holes left by Dez and Wittens aging weren’t filled until now. With Gallup and Coop, Beasley’s value goes down tremendously cause he’s simply not as needed. He was basically the #1 WR the last 2 years or so. Now he’s an easy 3. That’s life as a slot WR
Tony didn't need him because he saw down the field a lot better than Dak, it had nothing to do with other weapons.

Beasley absolutely got better under Dooley - but it didn't have anything to do with Dooley.

Beasley makes Gallup and Coop better. This is an offense predicated on creating man-to-man matchup. For guys on the outside to get that look, there has to be a threat in the middle of the field. So call it whatever you want, but a guy who gets open regularly against single coverage is absolutely valuable in this offense.

817Gill

Reaction score
Tony didn't need him because he saw down the field a lot better than Dak, it had nothing to do with other weapons.

Beasley absolutely got better under Dooley - but it didn't have anything to do with Dooley.

Beasley makes Gallup and Coop better. This is an offense predicated on creating man-to-man matchup. For guys on the outside to get that look, there has to be a threat in the middle of the field. So call it whatever you want, but a guy who gets open regularly against single coverage is absolutely valuable in this offense.

I get what you’re saying man, but it doesn’t change the fact that Beas is your number 3 and numbers 3’s don’t get 20M guaranteed. Is Beasley a good player with a solid role in the offense? Yeah.

But just the nature of the slot, regardless what offense you run (other than NE), the Y is not a focal point of the offense. Beasley is a luxury now with Coop and Gallup. He’s no longer a necessity. Call it Dak wanting to throw short all you want but we saw Dak lock in on Coop as soon as he got here. Right when a better option was present Dak went to him. The last few years Beasley has been the de facto best option. That’s no longer true. Also, Dak and Romo has almost identical YPA when under Linehan. Romo still didn’t look for Beas. That’s directly a function of having a pro bowler outside, a trusty #2, and TE who worked the middle of the field.

By the way I appreciate having a discussion with posters who use logic and tact when explaining their position. Hard to come by on this site.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying man, but it doesn’t change the fact that Beas is your number 3 and numbers 3’s don’t get 20M guaranteed. Is Beasley a good player with a solid role in the offense? Yeah.

But just the nature of the slot, regardless what offense you run (other than NE), the Y is not a focal point of the offense. Beasley is a luxury now with Coop and Gallup. He’s no longer a necessity. Call it Dak wanting to throw short all you want but we saw Dak lock in on Coop as soon as he got here. Right when a better option was present Dak went to him. The last few years Beasley has been the de facto best option. That’s no longer true. Also, Dak and Romo has almost identical YPA when under Linehan. Romo still didn’t look for Beas. That’s directly a function of having a pro bowler outside, a trusty #2, and TE who worked the middle of the field.

By the way I appreciate having a discussion with posters who use logic and tact when explaining their position. Hard to come by on this site.
Well I guess I just don't agree that "slot" means #3. He could be the #1 in some games, depending on what a defense is doing, and Gallup's skillset (based just on last year) is a lot more replaceable than Beasley's. There's no rookie who comes in and does what Beasley does.

Romo didn't go to Beasley because Beasley wasn't getting the matchups, though I'm not saying I disagree that Beasley was lower on the totem pole, so to speak. I don't think Dak goes to him because he throws short, he goes to him because that's where the matchup is. Beasley in man-to-man as a matchup favoring the Cowboys wasn't as distinct in 2014. But he, like Cooper, is a player that aligns perfectly with what Dak wants to do.

I also don't really think that $20m is some ridiculous number. Paul Richardson got $20m guaranteed, so did Quincy Enunwa. I think he ends up closer to Woods/Lee at $16-$17, but asking $20m isn't ridiculous. Players always ask high. 3x$30 and $20 guaranteed, frontloaded, would be fine.

Cheers!

817Gill

Reaction score
Well I guess I just don't agree that "slot" means #3. He could be the #1 in some games, depending on what a defense is doing, and Gallup's skillset (based just on last year) is a lot more replaceable than Beasley's. There's no rookie who comes in and does what Beasley does.

Romo didn't go to Beasley because Beasley wasn't getting the matchups, though I'm not saying I disagree that Beasley was lower on the totem pole, so to speak. I don't think Dak goes to him because he throws short, he goes to him because that's where the matchup is. Beasley in man-to-man as a matchup favoring the Cowboys wasn't as distinct in 2014. But he, like Cooper, is a player that aligns perfectly with what Dak wants to do.

I also don't really think that $20m is some ridiculous number. Paul Richardson got $20m guaranteed, so did Quincy Enunwa. I think he ends up closer to Woods/Lee at $16-$17, but asking $20m isn't ridiculous. Players always ask high. 3x$30 and $20 guaranteed, frontloaded, would be fine.

Cheers!
Good points. I think we can both agree we’d like Beas back. I just don’t think Paul Richardson and Quincy Enunwa do him much favors because it looks like both guys were overpaid. I find the slot to be an easy position to replace. As the matchups are usually 1v1 and the skills needed are easily scoutable.

We’ll see though