Skin Art / Tattoo Fans...**Updated**

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
I love my tat and don't regret getting it, and sometimes forget it is even there. My boyfriend isn't a tat fan and that is the only drawback about having it. But hey, what really matters is that I love it and that it has a purpose and a meaning behind it. I didn't go get drunk and get it. I was totally sober and thought it out completely before doing it.

Now, if my dad finds out about it... I'm toast... I'm history... I'm screwed..etc! When he saw my sisters, he went ballistic and told her she should have taken an example from me cuz I didn't mark my body with something tacky. He thinks his daughters are too beautiful for "biker tattoo's". Lucky for me that my sister kept her mouth closed about mine. I'm nearly 42 and I'm still scared of my dads belt... LOL

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
Sensitive subject, eh? :D

I specifically said that my comments weren't directed at anyone because I didn't want you to think I was talking about you.

Just speaking in general. Most of the guys I know with tatoos don't have any good explanation as to why they have them. And the tattoos they have are the same as the next guy's. (barb wire, tribal symbols, asian letters, etc.- dork)

As an artist I can certainly appreciate a good tattoo. But 90% of those who have them have them just to show people, "Look at me... I'm bad... I have a tattoo."
I'm not impressed.

Calm down there Slash :)

Nothing disturbs me more than a fine female with a big, gawdy tattoo on her. Such a shame, IMO.

Here is the thing though...are they on your skin?

If someone wants one, no matter the reason, they can get one...getting a tattoo doesn't make anyone a dork...they don't have to get a tattoo to be a dork, they were probably a dork before they ever got one.

Now I have seen some tattoos that I think look stupid and so on...but that is for the person and not for me.

For the most part I think tattoos on the head or neck area look bad...but if they like it then good for them, they are the ones that got it and have to live with it.

So the point I was making is...getting a tattoo does not make anyone a dork, a jerk, a fake or a follower IMO...because most of those people were that way before they got a tattoo and even many more are that never get a tattoo.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Here is the thing though...are they on your skin?

If someone wants one, no matter the reason, they can get one...getting a tattoo doesn't make anyone a dork...they don't have to get a tattoo to be a dork, they were probably a dork before they ever got one.

Now I have seen some tattoos that I think look stupid and so on...but that is for the person and not for me.

For the most part I think tattoos on the head or neck area look bad...but if they like it then good for them, they are the ones that got it and have to live with it.

So the point I was making is...getting a tattoo does not make anyone a dork, a jerk, a fake or a follower IMO...because most of those people were that way before they got a tattoo and even many more are that never get a tattoo.
I wholly agree.

My dork reference was not a name for someone who gets a tattoo. It was a reference to the types of people who seem to get tattoos more often than not. (meaning they were a dork before they ever got one, as you stated) If it wasn't a tattoo, it would be a piercing or some ridiculous clothes or an obnoxious hairdo or something else.

And I agree that it is their decision and their body. But if their intent is to project an image or make an impression on me as a result of it then I am the first to let them know, I'm not impressed.

Funny thing is, I am not anti-tattoo even though this discussion makes me sound like I am. I think there is a good chance that I may get my own tattoo one day. As an artist, I would draw my own tat and therefor would feel like I had a little more vested in it than just indiscriminately picking out a tattoo for the sake of having a tattoo. I just prefer to wait until I have a good enough reason for it and for that reason I may never get one at all. Who knows. But that is how I was raised. Anything permanent should be given a lot of thought before you decide to go through with it. (That's why I don't have any children yet) And I am wise enough to know based on my own life that some things I was convinced at one time I would always enjoy, I don't necessarily enjoy anymore.

That's all I'm saying.
To each his own.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
And I agree that it is their decision and their body. But if their intent is to project an image or make an impression on me as a result of it then I am the first to let them know, I'm not impressed.

But couldn't you say the same for those that bodybuild, wear stylish clothing/jewelry, drive Hummers, etc? For the most part the intent is to tell everyone else "Hey, look at me! I'm happening"

Myself, as explained earlier if I get a tatoo it's because of a life-long fan and I even thought of putting it on my butt just so that it won't be noticeable to anyone besides myself and the wife. I just figured it sounded commical because of what I wanted to have inked on me...truth be told had it been anything but a Peanuts character the thought of getting a tatoo would never enter my mind.....

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GTaylor said:
But couldn't you say the same for those that bodybuild, wear stylish clothing/jewelry, drive Hummers, etc? For the most part the intent is to tell everyone else "Hey, look at me! I'm happening"

Myself, as explained earlier if I get a tatoo it's because of a life-long fan and I even thought of putting it on my butt just so that it won't be noticeable to anyone besides myself and the wife. I just figured it sounded commical because of what I wanted to have inked on me...truth be told had it been anything but a Peanuts character the thought of getting a tatoo would never enter my mind.....

I know you said the dancing snoopy...but a Snoopy vs the Red Baron or snoopy Joe cool one would be pretty cool.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I agree. Bodybuilders, Hummer drivers, etc. Same thing.

Get Snoopy's brother "Spike".

He rules.

image016.gif

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
GTaylor said:

I have a tattoo of a bodybuilding jeweler driving a hummer on my bum.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I have a Tazzmainian devil on my RT ankle,he's ripping a barbell in half. I have my 3 kids initials below it. I got it when I was 20 to me it simbilized a part of my life. I have been trying to get my Cowboys Tat for 3 years now :eek:

I believe they should have meaning to them

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
My dork reference was not a name for someone who gets a tattoo. It was a reference to the types of people who seem to get tattoos more often than not. (meaning they were a dork before they ever got one, as you stated) If it wasn't a tattoo, it would be a piercing or some ridiculous clothes or an obnoxious hairdo or something else.

I think your point is valid but based on a very brief historical period - the mid to late 20th when tatooing was associated with society's misfits. A very brief time in the long history of the art form , but one which formed most of our opinions because the most recent.

But did you know that the famous "Iceman", the 5000 year old corpse found in the melting snow of the Tyrol about 15 years ago was tattooed? It is unclear whether for clan identification, religious significance, or part of an acupuncture treatment, but the body bore clear tattoos at points associated with pain relief. Of course, the ancient Egyptians at roughly the same time were mastering the art in a much more advanced civilisation than early Europe's, and through the centuries most cultures, particularly the Japanese, have consider tattooing not just acceptable body ornamentation, but true 'art'.

Because over the past few decades tattooing has been associated with carnival side shows, and young sailors making intoxicated errors on shore leave (tho there is something enduringly appealing about the idea of a kid thousands of miles from home waking up to see he had 'mom' tattoed on his forearm the night before while his buddies bust his chops), and then later with bikers and various outcasts, the sentiment still lingers that tattoos represent a 'sleazy' lifestyle.

But no longer. It has become surprisingly 'mainstream' now, and tho I don't think we'll see many school marms or stock brokers sporting skulls and cross bones, it is so acceptable among the younger generation that I 'spect most of the stigma will be wiped clean in another decade.

I don't fancy them on women of any age but some nubile well-toned 19 year babe with a tiny daisy carved into her backside..why not? I can see where the 'unveiling' could qualify as erotic. And they can be removed as gravity's sagging kicks in, I hear. And tho, Dennis Rodman type illustrations are so over the top, they do reek of the carnival, TG's mom's name on his neck really floats my boat. I mean, THAT is sexy. :)

Take the historical perspective, QD..it's always the best one, cuz then you see more clearly how our cultural prejudices are both grain of sand short-lived and irrelevant.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Just earrings here. 6 in my left, 4 in my right. On the left ear, the 6th one is at the top of the ear. Generally, I just keep simple silver hoops in all but the 1st set of holes, and most people never notice I have so many until I point it out.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I agree, LTN. I stated that in an earlier post.

There once was a time where having a tatoo was a rarity and those who had tatoos had them for good reasons. (military, tragedies, etc.)

Ya know, things such as divorce and single parent childbirth have become mainstream and socially accepted, too...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I agree, LTN. I stated that in an earlier post.

Ya know, things such as divorce and single parent childbirth have become mainstream and socially accepted, too...
I know..but those are practices that have socially harmful consequences....painting your bod doesn't, far as I know.

I pretty much was fuddy-duddy about tattoos til recently. But I saw so many kids getting them, I had to recognize it as a 'style' issue. Not a lifestyle one.

Did you happen to hear the pc last year when Tuna was talking about Key, and said "he's a clean living kid..no tattos or anything". LOL!

Bill is just as much an old fuddy duddy as you and I were, equating tattooing with some sort of abberant lifestyle.

I wondered what his many inked up players thought of that remark. :D

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I know..but those are practices that have socially harmful consequences....painting your bod doesn't, far as I know.

I pretty much was fuddy-duddy about tattoos til recently. But I saw so many kids getting them, I had to recognize it as a 'style' issue. Not a lifestyle one.

Did you happen to hear the pc last year when Tuna was talking about Key, and said "he's a clean living kid..no tattos or anything". LOL!

Bill is just as much an old fuddy duddy as you and I were, equating tattooing with some sort of abberant lifestyle.

I wondered what his many inked up players thought of that remark. :D
At 27, I hope I'm not a fuddy duddy yet. :eek::
But I have "fuddy duddy" values cause momma didn't raise no fool.

While tatooing has no direct effect on an anyone other than the bearer, I do think it's another example such as divorce and single mother childbirth that our society as a whole is in a downward spiral towards the lowest common denominator.
Instead of holding high standards and expecting everyone to rise to meet them, we are bringing ourselves down to the lowest accepted level in society and comprimising.

Not good for the future of our children, IMO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I have an angry looking sun on my left bicep.

I'd like a few more. A tribal Scorpion, pictures of my two daughters, a viking with a waraxe, sean taylor getting burned by Patrick Crayton... ok maybe not that last one.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
At 27, I hope I'm not a fuddy duddy yet. :eek::
But I have "fuddy duddy" values cause momma didn't raise no fool.

While tatooing has no direct effect on an anyone other than the bearer, I do think it's another example such as divorce and single mother childbirth that our society as a whole is in a downward spiral towards the lowest common denominator.
Instead of holding high standards and expecting everyone to rise to meet them, we are bringing ourselves down to the lowest accepted level in society and comprimising.

Not good for the future of our children, IMO.
Guess all those world war II vets with tats started the downfall of the American society.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
Guess all those world war II vets with tats started the downfall of the American society.

Don't even get me started. :D

Tattoos have been around longer than some of the so called "morales" that deem them bad have been around.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I have an angry looking sun on my left bicep.

I'd like a few more. A tribal Scorpion, pictures of my two daughters, a viking with a waraxe, sean taylor getting burned by Patrick Crayton... ok maybe not that last one.
I'm getting one of Randy Moss mooning the Packer fans.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
I got this tattoo of taz breaking through my arm 6 years ago right after my first son was born.

729872892taz.jpg

Sorry, bad quality photo.