Skins Depth Chart

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gfunk said:

new season, new (same old) worries

I'm saying ya'll can't even begin to discuss depth before you find your starters

lol.gif
nice spin there, buddy
depth does matter, but the starters matter more (obviously)

we already have our starters and they're proven... WSH > DAL is what it comes down to
tu.gif

our depth are gonna get the most snaps this preseason, so I have faith Gibbs & Co. will get the situation settled

I'm really only going to comment on one thing in this erroneous post. It is that you've changed my name to "Nice Guy." Thank you for having the sense of humor to do this. I often mix up the usernames on purpose as a joke. Too many of your comrades take offense to this rather than just roll with it. You rolled with it, I appreciate it. You earned some respect in my eyes today with this post even though I disagree with a lot of it.

apickmans

Reaction score
holy crap. I come back to this thread to it out and it has become a war of words haha. I would chime in my 2 cents but so much has been said and it would probably be lost in the shuffle. Anyways......go skins!

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
The lameness of this post is astounding.

I didn't insult you. I pointed out a lack of logic in your post, which is easily evident.

At worse, you can say I alluded to your lack of intelligence. But I never stated you weren't intelligent or that you are stupid, or anything of that ilk.

I should just be astonished with the fact that you know how to work a computer.

no insult there!

now, i wouldnt be too quick to knock another teams backups when my own starters are questionable, but thats just me. ;)

superpunk

Reaction score
riggo said:
I should just be astonished with the fact that you know how to work a computer.

no insult there!

now, i wouldnt be too quick to knock another teams backups when my own starters are questionable, but thats just me. ;)

Ah, failures in logic are strong among Commanders nation.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Ah, failures in logic are strong among Commanders nation.

i realize that dallas having question marks at starting O line doesnt mean the skins dont have question marks at back up O line.

i'm just saying i wouldnt be too quick to criticize. kind of like criticizing the skins offensive playoff performance.

its the pot calling the kettle black, and then some.

it just doesnt look good. ;)

superpunk

Reaction score
riggo said:
i realize that dallas having question marks at starting O line doesnt mean the skins dont have question marks at back up O line.

i'm just saying i wouldnt be too quick to criticize. kind of like criticizing the skins offensive playoff performance.

its the pot calling the kettle black, and then some.

it just doesnt look good. ;)

I am not the Dallas Cowboys. I am a a fan. Their shortcomings do not preclude me from criticizing anything. The Skins shortcomings do not preclude you from criticizing anything. And it is ridiculously shallow to think it does. Can noone in the league criticize Peyton Manning? The Skins have never had a real franchise RB. Are Skins fans not able to criticize Emmit for hanging on too long?

No, that's ridiculous.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I am not the Dallas Cowboys. I am a a fan. Their shortcomings do not preclude me from criticizing anything. The Skins shortcomings do not preclude you from criticizing anything. And it is ridiculously shallow to think it does. Can noone in the league criticize Peyton Manning? The Skins have never had a real franchise RB. Are Skins fans not able to criticize Emmit for hanging on too long?

No, that's ridiculous.

agreed. we are all free to criticize whoever you want. God bless america!

1fisher

Reaction score
riggo said:
agreed. we are all free to criticize whoever you want. God bless america!

and God Bless you playoff win even though your offense sputtered!:p:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The fact remains that if the Cowboys OL backups were as crappy as the Skins backups... we wouldn't have an open competition either. If Tyson Walter was here, he wouldn't be trying to win a starting spot. Someone would be entrenched in front of him. For Dallas there isn't a whole lot of difference between some of our starters and some of their backups... thus the open competition.

That isn't neccessarily a good thing, I know... but if we didn't have pretty good depth, our starting five would be a little more clear cut.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
skinsngibbs4life said:
So at DL, TE, and CB are all not servicable for us? even though at each of those positions we have players that started on thier respective teams last year?

who is your 2nd TE? and your DL barely has enough adequate starters, they're products of the system, so your backups aren't very good there, I forgot about Kenny Weaten, so I'll tentatively give you CB, but just a 3rd corner does not good depth make

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
who is your 2nd TE? and your DL barely has enough adequate starters, they're products of the system, so your backups aren't very good there, I forgot about Kenny Weaten, so I'll tentatively give you CB, but just a 3rd corner does not good depth make

Christian Fauria. Isn't he a goal-line guy?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
random Cs said:
I always hear you Boys fan say this. We had our injuries like everyone else. We lost 2 WR's

You lost one WR, David Patten, after game 9... so he missed 7 games... Moss didn't miss any, James Thrash missed 4 games toward the end of the season but came back for the season finale and the first playoff game, Taylor Jacobs missed 1 game... and basically, you guys didn't USE any other WRs... the only other one to catch a pass was Jimmy Farris, who caught 1 pass in 4 games played...

BTW, Patten was the ONLY Skin to go on injured reserve during the regular season, until Randy Thomas broke his leg in game 14... that's INCREDIBLE, only having one player go on IR in 14 games played... anyway, your top 4 WRs combined to miss just 12 games, which is simply not that devastating... the Boys' WRs missed 9 games, and I surely didn't think our WR corps was devastated...

the majority of our D-Line were battling injuries all season, and the majority of our secondary were battling injuries all season.

And how many of them wound up on IR??

Answer-- Zippo...

Let's have a little reality check here-- your 5 defensive linemen who saw the bulk of the action were (in alphabetical order) Phillip Daniels, Demetric Evans, Cornelius Griffin, Joe Salave'a and Renaldo Wynn... those 5 missed a combined total of five ball games (Griffin missed 3, Salave'a missed 2)... two of five players is NOT "the majority", and even those two missed minimal time...

That's being LUCKY, man... the Cowboys were lucky when it came to injuries on their DL too, perhaps even luckier than the Skins were; Kenyon Coleman missed 4 games, and Jay Ratliff missed 12, and all of the other DL played in all 16 games... but that doesn't mean I couldn't use the lame "our defensive lineman struggled with injuries copout", if I was so inclined... Marcus Spears started the season hurt, others were banged up as the season went on...

Now, as to your DBs-- you come close to having a point here, their top 9 DBs combined to miss a total of 21 games... but again, none of them were lost for the season... all of them were able to get back on the field by season's end... again, the Cowboys had it somewhat better, of their top 7 DBs, only Anthony Henry missed 4 games...

Now, if you want to see what a position devastated by injury looks like, simply ponder the Cowboys' linebackers... starter Dat Nguyen, on IR after 10 games; starter Al Singleton, on IR after 8 games... Kevin Burnett missed 3 games, Ryan Fowler missed 2, Scott Shanle missed 1... that's a total of 20 games missed, and 2 starters out for most of the last half of the season... but what the heck, linebackers aren't important to a 3-4 defense, are they?? :D

Now, of course it is possible we're missing out on 4th rounder that we could build into a potential starter, but seeing as though we suck at the draft I'm happy with building through FA.

Then don't come cryin' to us if the injury bug bites this year, and your backups hurt the team... because that's exactly what happens when you eschew the draft in favor of spending on free agents...

What part of "cheap but possibly talented labor" don't you understand??

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
The fact remains that if the Cowboys OL backups were as crappy as the Skins backups... we wouldn't have an open competition either. If Tyson Walter was here, he wouldn't be trying to win a starting spot. Someone would be entrenched in front of him. For Dallas there isn't a whole lot of difference between some of our starters and some of their backups... thus the open competition.

That isn't neccessarily a good thing, I know... but if we didn't have pretty good depth, our starting five would be a little more clear cut.

would you rather have a mediocre O line- could be servicable, could be horrible- with decent depth (i'll take your word that dallas does have depth- after what i've seen from both teams the past 2 years, i'm not convinced either teams had great depth at O line), or a great O line with questionable depth?

random Cs

Reaction score
silverbear said:
You lost one WR, David Patten, after game 9... so he missed 7 games... Moss didn't miss any, James Thrash missed 4 games toward the end of the season but came back for the season finale and the first playoff game, Taylor Jacobs missed 1 game... and basically, you guys didn't USE any other WRs... the only other one to catch a pass was Jimmy Farris, who caught 1 pass in 4 games played...

BTW, Patten was the ONLY Skin to go on injured reserve during the regular season, until Randy Thomas broke his leg in game 14... that's INCREDIBLE, only having one player go on IR in 14 games played... anyway, your top 4 WRs combined to miss just 12 games, which is simply not that devastating... the Boys' WRs missed 9 games, and I surely didn't think our WR corps was devastated...
So where's the stat for how many games these guys were playing hurt and were ineffective?

Let's have a little reality check here-- your 5 defensive linemen who saw the bulk of the action were (in alphabetical order) Phillip Daniels, Demetric Evans, Cornelius Griffin, Joe Salave'a and Renaldo Wynn... those 5 missed a combined total of five ball games (Griffin missed 3, Salave'a missed 2)... two of five players is NOT "the majority", and even those two missed minimal time...
Again with the missed games stat. I can think of at least 2 games where Cornelius started and played a handful of snaps, same with Big Joe and same with Phillip.

Then don't come cryin' to us if the injury bug bites this year, and your backups hurt the team... because that's exactly what happens when you eschew the draft in favor of spending on free agents...

What part of "cheap but possibly talented labor" don't you understand??
You act like because we trade away a 4th rounder then we totally neglect adding depth; not true. Our coaching staff just prefers veterans and is willing to add depth through FA.

rdsknsbaby

Reaction score
The only thing that I, as a Commanders fan, am worried about, is the O-line depth. Our WR corp. is pretty solid. Or DL could use some work, but with the addition of Andre Carter, who will hopefully help our pass rush, we have some good talent. Safety wise I think that we could have a top 5 Safety tandum, and we also have some good depth there with Pierson Prioleau and Reed Doughty. As far as CBs are concerned, our backups Ade Jimoh and Kenny Wright are proven for the most part. At LB, we've got a good set with Washington, Marshall, and the last one is yet to be seen whether it's Rocky or Holdman, but either way, in my opinion, we're stacked there too.

Now offense is a different story. I'm not worried about our QB. I have faith in Brunell, and if he goes down, I have faith in Todd Collins. RB... well we're stacked, and that goes for our WRs too. TE, we're also good. Now O-line, our starters are good, but what if one goes down???? Well Bugel has been raving about Chris Pino, and and Jasper Harvey. So if these guys are as good as he says they are then, if Jansen or Chris Samuels goes down, I won't be AS worried as I would without them... Also you can't forget about Molinaro, even though he is hurt now... I think he will make a legit backup when he comes back.

So there is my assessment on the Commanders depth, I tried to be as non-homerish as I could.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I'm surprised more Skins fans arent worried about their D-Line. They have very little depth, especially at the end positions. If Daniels or Carter go down, they will be in trouble, and if Cornelius Griffin goes down, teams will be running right, left and over their defense