Skins latest restructuring moves... and pending releases

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Commanders | Team restructures Daniels' contract
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:39:58 -0800
Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Commanders have restructured the contract of DE Phillip Daniels. The deal is contingent on there not being a CBA extension.

Commanders | Team restructures Jansen's contract
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:39:40 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Commanders have restructured the contract of OT Jon Jansen. The deal is contingent on there not being a CBA extension.

Commanders | Team restructures Griffin's contract
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:34:55 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Commanders have restructured the contract of DL Cornelius Griffin. The deal is contingent on there not being a CBA extension.

Commanders | Gibbs informs Raymer of his pending release
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:34:16 -0800
Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports Washington Commanders head coach Joe Gibbs has informed OC Cory Raymer he will be released, according to several of the team's players and their agents.

Commanders | Gibbs informs Harris of his pending release
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:33:27 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports Washington Commanders head coach Joe Gibbs has informed CB Walt Harris he will be released, according to several of the team's players and their agents.

Commanders | Gibbs informs Noble of his pending release
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:32:53 -0800
Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports Washington Commanders head coach Joe Gibbs has informed DT Brandon Noble he will be released, according to several of the team's players and their agents.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
Raymer will hurt?

Did he play last year? I think I might have seen him in a game once.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
No suprises here. Raymer will hurt though.

for petes sakes, no it wont. raymers bad knees and bad play was the reason the skins went out and signed casey rabach last year.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Raymer came in for the Seattle playoff game when Ray Brown got hurt and was horrific. I remember laughing at Skins fans that I was with complaining the "refs screwed them" in that game because they were missing holding calls on the Seattle O-Line, yet the refs continually missed some of the most blatant holds by Raymer in that game.

As my stats pointed out though, Rabach really isn't very good either. It's Jansen, Thomas, and Samuels that are so good that make the Skins O-Line productive.

Rich.....

Pokes28

Reaction score
The only thing that will hurt in regards to the skins' cuts is depth. They really stayed extremely healthy last year. They lost two games from a starting OL, they did have some issues in the defensive backfield and of course David Patton was injured off and on throughout the season (not that he was any good when he was healthy). Other than that, they were amazingly healthy.

If they stay as healthy next season, none of these cuts will hurt at all. Of course with the entire team being another year older and the fight in division games getting more and more brutal now, staying that healthy is unlikely.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

1fisher

Reaction score
riggo said:
for petes sakes, no it wont. raymers bad knees and bad play was the reason the skins went out and signed casey rabach last year.

don't get your feathers ruffled Riggo......we're allowed to speak our mind over here without getting banned!:D

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
As my stats pointed out though, Rabach really isn't very good either. It's Jansen, Thomas, and Samuels that are so good that make the Skins O-Line productive.

Rich.....

rich-

can you link me to the stats? i'd be interested in seeing that. while rabach may not be as good as the others on the line, he was easily better than 43 year old brown or raymer. when thomas went down (vs philly, i believe) the O took a dive. the skins could do nothing without him. after seeing that, i think thomas may be our best O lineman.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Commanders | Gibbs informs Noble of his pending release
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:32:53 -0800
Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports Washington Commanders head coach Joe Gibbs has informed DT Brandon Noble he will be released, according to several of the team's players and their agents.
Goodbye Brandon Noble. For the long timers here you will always be remembered as "The Blocker Magnet."

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Raymer or Noble doesn't hurt much; both have been injury-plagued. Harris is a bit more of a loss since he's a competent CB though hardly awesome.

Sooner or later, you hate to lose too much depth, though. They'll backfill these guys but if a lot of second stringers get cut loose, it's an issue for any team.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
1fisher said:
don't get your feathers ruffled Riggo......we're allowed to speak our mind over here without getting banned!:D

it's almost happened to me here. and i wasnt even gloating. ;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
1fisher said:

1 pt deduction for hitting below the belt :D

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
depth can be replaced with depth.

especially on Defense. Gregg Williams has done wonders with guys who this time last year, were called bums around here.

We need depth all over the Defense. But, that's what blue collar guys are for.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I really hope this means free agency is actually going to begin. The Commanders didn't even entertain the idea of releasing players up til now.

MrRedskin28

Benched
Reaction score
Wheat said:
depth can be replaced with depth.

especially on Defense. Gregg Williams has done wonders with guys who this time last year, were called bums around here.

We need depth all over the Defense. But, that's what blue collar guys are for.

Completely Agree.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Skins FA Rule Number One:

When we sign a guy, he's great, or a great bargain. When we have to release the same guy, he's an easily-replaced bum who didn't help us anyway.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Skins FA Rule Number One:

When we sign a guy, he's great, or a great bargain. When we have to release the same guy, he's an easily-replaced bum who didn't help us anyway.

Not true.

I liked Pierce and Smoot. Wanted them to stay last year. Same with Lavar this year.

If anything, I'm loyal to a fault.

Don't lump us all together.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
I really hope this means free agency is actually going to begin. The Commanders didn't even entertain the idea of releasing players up til now.

All of these deals have been worked out a week ago. And the players that are going to be released have been known for a while now (or at least speculated by most even Adam).

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Guess what guys. With no CBA those moves will not get the skins under the cap so more cuts will have to be made. These are the cuts that were going to happen either way. None are really big suprises to me.