Skins latest restructuring moves... and pending releases

clayman

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Skins FA Rule Number One:

When we sign a guy, he's great, or a great bargain. When we have to release the same guy, he's an easily-replaced bum who didn't help us anyway.

That statement pretty much addresses a large part of all teams fans.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Wheat said:
depth can be replaced with depth.

especially on Defense. Gregg Williams has done wonders with guys who this time last year, were called bums around here.

Like Warrick Holdman? :cool:

Rich.......

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

When we sign a guy, he's great, or a great bargain. When we have to release the same guy, he's an easily-replaced bum who didn't help us anyway.

Damn straight! :)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Wheat said:

when you're forced to cut depth, you got problems, euphanisms and all won't alleviate anything, you're hurting

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
riggo said:
rich-

can you link me to the stats? i'd be interested in seeing that. while rabach may not be as good as the others on the line, he was easily better than 43 year old brown or raymer. when thomas went down (vs philly, i believe) the O took a dive. the skins could do nothing without him. after seeing that, i think thomas may be our best O lineman.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48032&highlight=johnson

It's just mainly focused on Al Johnson. But it compiles stats such as sacks allowed, sack yards allowed, penalty yards allowed (Rabach had a ton of these) combined with the stats from footballoutsiders.com's adjusted line yardage stats on runs up the middle.

Essentially what I did was come up with a formula to figure out the yards gained (adjusted line yardage stats) and subtract the yards lost (penalty and sack yards)

The Skins weren't all that great at running up the middle and they chose to avoid running there....which was smart. But, based on my formula on runs up the middle alone......not counting sack yards or penalty yards.....Washington ranked 29th.

Combine that with the penalty yards and sack yards lost by Rabach, he winds up finishing 31st.

IIRC Jansen and Samuels were hovering around the top 5 statistically at their respective positions and Thomas was a top 3 right guard statistically.

If they could have gotten average play from Rabach and Dockery, they would have had a top 5 O-Line, easily last season.

Rich.......

aikemirv

Reaction score
Wheat said:

especially on Defense. Gregg Williams has done wonders with guys who this time last year, were called bums around here.

We need depth all over the Defense. But, that's what blue collar guys are for.

It can be replaced with depth if you have the salry cap room to do it. From what we have read they are making these releases to get down to the cap. They will still have no room to sign anyone else, once they make that room they will have to sign guys at the minimum to make it - thus you would have rookies or 1st and 2nd year guys who can't stick anywhere - that is not the kind of depth you want!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Very true, but the same could be said for Dallas fans or any fans for that matter.

Granted though, a lot of Skins fans threw Lavar under the bus and have done the same with several players to a more severe extent than I've seen Cowboys fans do with guys like Wiley, Ekuban (who has gone out of his way to act like an idiot afterwards), Gowin, and Glover.

Rich.......

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
when you're forced to cut depth, you got problems, euphanisms and all won't alleviate anything, you're hurting

sure. but if the depth your cutting has proven to be bad, its hardly irreplaceable.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
riggo said:
sure. but if the depth your cutting has proven to be bad, its hardly irreplaceable.

with your salary cap situation, you're not going to be improving the depth you replace much, the cap is forcing you to cut depth cuz you can't afford to pay for it

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

You're right. Almost as bad as loading up on a bunch of free agents who you expect to start in a new system, and gel right away.

There's a risk. Just not as much because usually its utility guys who are paid much less.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
with your salary cap situation, you're not going to be improving the depth you replace much, the cap is forcing you to cut depth cuz you can't afford to pay for it

You're cutting guys you'd like to keep. But, its the reality in the NFL.

I won't lie. I'd like to keep most of the backups around.

1fisher

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Don't tell us what to do...:D

We'll lump you together if we damn well please, LOL.

and Art is not here to protect you!!!!:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Cowboys22 said:
Guess what guys. With no CBA those moves will not get the skins under the cap so more cuts will have to be made. These are the cuts that were going to happen either way. None are really big suprises to me.

And with a CBA extension the restructures don't happen. Does anyone know what the restructures put their cap number at with no extension, or how much they're still over with an extension (which will depend I guess on what the cap is, but it's projected to go up 10 million right)?

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
And with a CBA extension the restructures don't happen. Does anyone know what the restructures put their cap number at with no extension, or how much they're still over with an extension (which will depend I guess on what the cap is, but it's projected to go up 10 million right)?
I can't tell you for sure, but they're still over the cap by between $7M and $12M.

Remember, even after they get under the cap, they'll need room if they want to sign any FA or draft picks. I read a rumor on CBS Sportsline yesterday that Snyder was considering trading draft picks from this year into next year.

samsnead96

Reaction score
The Commanders reportedly have two restructuring plans in place: one for without a new CBA and one for a new CBA.

So these restructurings we've been hearing about have been for the event that no new CBA is agreed to.

If a new agreement is reached, they'll go through with different restructurings that will undoubtedly give them a lot of space to pursue free agents.

But the Harris, Raymer, and Noble cuts were no surprise. The Washington Post reported they were going to be cut irregardless of what happens with the CBA situation.

Harris is the biggest name they will cut aside from Arrington (although Ramsey could be cut if nobody trades for him). Williams soured on him during the season much like he did Holdman.

But, again, their cap situation is not at all what has been reported because of the job they've been able to do in restructuring contracts.

Vinny Cerrato told their team web site that they had Commanders One, the team's airplane, ready to roll on Sunday night at 12:01 AM - and that was without a new CBA deal.

So even without a new deal, they're going to be out signing free agents. Maybe not big names, but they're going to be adding players.

The St. Louis Paper has already reported that the Commanders have been in contact with Isaac Bruce, whom Saunders coached in St. Louis.

That goes along with the Archuleta talk, which would make sense because of the uncertainty with Taylor's legal situation.

sacase

Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
Vinny Cerrato told their team web site that they had Commanders One, the team's airplane, ready to roll on Sunday night at 12:01 AM - and that was without a new CBA deal.

Yeah ready to take some people home. :chainsaw: