Skins latest restructuring moves... and pending releases

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
The Commanders reportedly have two restructuring plans in place: one for without a new CBA and one for a new CBA.

So these restructurings we've been hearing about have been for the event that no new CBA is agreed to.

If a new agreement is reached, they'll go through with different restructurings that will undoubtedly give them a lot of space to pursue free agents.

I seriously doubt they're gonna have "a lot of space." At least not enough room to pursue quality free agents and sign any draft picks.

I for one say the Commanders should keep restructuring contracts of old veteran guys... It seems like they're afraid to cut anybody. Restructuring just backloads the money to the end of the contract. They're not taking pay cuts over the life of the contract. Just means you'll be in cap hell for the foreseeable future. Snyder would be afraid to bite the bullet and cut a guy like Glover, who doesn't make financial sense for the team to keep him on. He may have been a good player, just didn't make sense for us to keep him around.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
I seriously doubt they're gonna have "a lot of space." At least not enough room to pursue quality free agents and sign any draft picks.

I for one say the Commanders should keep restructuring contracts of old veteran guys... It seems like they're afraid to cut anybody. Restructuring just backloads the money to the end of the contract. They're not taking pay cuts over the life of the contract. Just means you'll be in cap hell for the foreseeable future. Snyder would be afraid to bite the bullet and cut a guy like Glover, who doesn't make financial sense for the team to keep him on. He may have been a good player, just didn't make sense for us to keep him around.

If that was true we would have kept Lavar...we are taking a big hit on him this year to have more cap room in future years.

The Commanders aren't the same team they were when Snyder first got here. The mentality is completely different now.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rams | Rams informs Noble of his pending signing
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:32:53 -0800
Maz Ashanle, of the Santa Fe Quake, reports the Rams have informed DT Brandon Noble when he is released by the Commanders, that he will be signed by the Rams.

This according to according to several of the team's players and their agents in Hawaii.

:)

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
Rams | Rams informs Noble of his pending signing
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:32:53 -0800
Maz Ashanle, of the Santa Fe Quake, reports the Rams have informed DT Brandon Noble when he is released by the Commanders, that he will be signed by the Rams.

This according to according to several of the team's players and their agents in Hawaii.

:)

Your joking right? The guy nearly died and is 30 lbs lighter then his playing form

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
I've never seen so many Skins on this board before.....

We're gonna need our own sub-forum soon:D....

I'm sure hh31 would love to play in there with us:laugh:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Goodbye Brandon Noble. For the long timers here you will always be remembered as "The Blocker Magnet."

:laugh2: Memories.

samsnead96

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:

Uh, if a new agreement is reached they will.

The 30 percent rule and the rule of 51 are what are giving them problems, relatively speaking, right now.

Those won't be an issue if a new agreement is reached.

And they'll also have at least $10 million more in cap space.

So they'll get far enough under to pursue whoever it is they want. I don't anticipate them going after anyone major because I don't think Gibbs desires to, but they'll go after good players.

And as far as them not cutting anyone.....that's because it doesn't make sense to cut players you don't save money against the 2006 cap by cutting them.

Walt Harris is the guy they save the most money cutting and it's only $2 million in savings. Not much at all.

LaVar saved them $4 million by forfeiting that cash. Otherwise he would have been more expensive to cut than keep.

And that's what was basically the situation with their entire roster. It would have cost more to cut all of their major players than to keep them.

So that's why they're restructuring like hell.

And unless a new CBA agreement is reached that significantly limits "cash over cap" percentages, the Commanders will never enter cap hell. Because Snyder can buy his way out of cap hell. That's why they've never entered cap hell since he took over.

And they sure won't enter cap hell without a salary cap...and contrary to popular opinion, Snyder's probably feeling pretty good about restructuring contracts like a bastid, getting "enough" under the 2006 cap of $94.5 million, and entering 2007 without a cap.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Commanders | Team will not cut Ramsey; still hope to trade him
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 05:27:03 -0800

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Commanders will not release QB Patrick Ramsey. Instead they still hope to trade him in exchange for a second- or third-round draft pick. Other teams interested in Ramsey hope to surrender a lower-round draft pick for Ramsey.

Commanders | Tupa to be released
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 05:26:35 -0800

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Commanders will release P Tom Tupa for salary cap reasons.

Commanders | Bowen told he's being released
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:36:35 -0800

The Washington Post reports Washington Commanders head coach Joe Gibbs contacted S Matt Bowen last week to inform him the team intends to release him, according to Bowen's agent.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Commanders | Team will not cut Ramsey; still hope to trade him
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 05:27:03 -0800

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Commanders will not release QB Patrick Ramsey. Instead they still hope to trade him in exchange for a second- or third-round draft pick. Other teams interested in Ramsey hope to surrender a lower-round draft pick for Ramsey.

Commanders | Tupa to be released
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 05:26:35 -0800

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Commanders will release P Tom Tupa for salary cap reasons.

Commanders | Bowen told he's being released
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:36:35 -0800

The Washington Post reports Washington Commanders head coach Joe Gibbs contacted S Matt Bowen last week to inform him the team intends to release him, according to Bowen's agent.

DAMN IT. Frost was **** last year...Tupa was injured but a Pro Bowl punter in 2004. We save less then 1 million by cutting him. This is stupid! Give the man a chance to compete in training camp at least!

superpunk

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
DAMN IT. Frost was **** last year...Tupa was injured but a Pro Bowl punter in 2004. We save less then 1 million by cutting him. This is stupid! Give the man a chance to compete in training camp at least!

Wasn't Tandler's column yesterday something like "Any Way you look at it, the Skins Win?"

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RiggoForever said:
You do realize you're on the wrong board for sympathy... :)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Wasn't Tandler's column yesterday something like "Any Way you look at it, the Skins Win?"

Yes it was. I actually think it's going to be more like a lose/not-lose situation instead of a win/win... but I don't know that for sure.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The Skins are dreaming if they think they'll get a first day pick for Ramsey. A 4th perhaps, but no higher.

I still think he could do some things in this league, but he has not showcased his talent sufficiently in DC.

burmafrd

Reaction score
i think ramsay can be a good QB- not pro bowl probably, but good- if he was somewhere else.

1fisher

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
I've never seen so many Skins on this board before.....

We're gonna need our own sub-forum soon:D....

I'm sure hh31 would love to play in there with us:laugh:

yep.... there are way too many skins fans here.... probably has something to do with them getting banned on their own board!:laugh2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Commanders could cut seven

By David Elfin
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 8, 2006

Center Cory Raymer and aging cornerback Walt Harris will be among a group of five to seven players cut by the Washington Commanders tonight in an effort to get under the $94.5 million salary cap by the 9 p.m. deadline.

Defensive tackle Brandon Noble and punter Tom Tupa, who both missed all of last season with injuries, and safety Matt Bowen, like Raymer a starter in 2004 but an afterthought in 2005, also will be released.

All five have been told they will be waived even if NFL owners approve the deal on extending the collective bargaining agreement with the players association that commissioner Paul Tagliabue brought with him to their meeting in Grapevine, Texas.

Even though the Commanders reworked the contracts of at least a dozen high-priced players -- most of them contingent on the CBA extension being rejected -- they still could use some cap room to enable them to retain veterans and add free agents and draft picks.

So kicker John Hall, who missed 14 of the past 29 games with a succession of pulled leg muscles, and reserve receiver Taylor Jacobs, a major bust who caught just 30 passes in three years after being taken in the second round of the 2003 draft, also might be cut.

Waiving Raymer ($985,000), Bowen ($2 million), Harris ($2 million), Noble ($1.7 million) and Tupa ($770,000 or $661,000 depending on whether the CBA is extended) would save the Commanders more than $7 million. Hall ($1.5 million or $1.035 million) and Jacobs ($460,000 or $176,000) would clear additional cap room.

Quarterback Patrick Ramsey, who started 25 of 40 games from October 2002 through the 2005 opener, will not be cut. Washington hopes to trade Ramsey, who has one year left on his contract, for a second- or third-round draft pick. Chicago, Miami, Oakland and the New York Jets are believed to be interested in Ramsey but hope to acquire him for a lower-round selection.

While only two starters, strong safety Ryan Clark and tight end Robert Royal, are set to be unrestricted free agents, the Commanders would have little experienced depth under contract if they cut the seven aforementioned players. They would have only two linebackers (Marcus Washington and Lemar Marshall) who have played a snap on defense, two safeties (Sean Taylor and Pierson Prioleau) and one backup offensive lineman (Jim Molinaro).

Link

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
So, WG.....does that mean the Skins win?:D
They'll still be able to field a decent team next year.....

for the first 6-8 games... After that the starters will get worn down, the inexperience and NFLE talent will be displayed, and all will be right w/my world... :D

david_jackson

Reaction score
I hope a new player agreementis reached.....It is good for the league long term and it keeps the Skins under cap pressure indefinately. If one isn't reached then the Skins will have one year of Major difficulties (5-11 season) then imerge the following year without any future difficulties and a boat load of cash to rebuild the deapth of the team. I don't think Snyder has the will to purge on his own or discipline to do it slowly correct his cap over time.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I keep getting confused on why people think Snyder isn't just signing off on what Gibbs wants.

Joe Gibbs is deciding what players he wants, and who's shipped out. In DC, Snyder has been off the radar for two seasons now. Somehow people think he's even close to as hands on as he was back before the 04 season.

If we have a 5-11 season, so be it. But, we were predicted to finish last in the division this past season, while Dallas was picked for the playoffs.

10-6 with a playoff win should be a clear sign that Gibbs is in charge on and off the field. Especially with the addition of Al Saunders. He can focus more on Front Office stuff.

Hate him all you want, but the guy got this group the 2nd round in his 2nd season after 12 years off. He's earned alittle respect because of that.