Video: Skip and Shannon: Did the Cowboys blow it by giving away Amari Cooper?

CWR

Reaction score
Bold - have you noticed that - played good the first half of the season - is a recurring theme for last years team.

Dak played very good, the o-line, Moore called good games, heck even Gregory balled out the first half on the season...

So what happened?

IMO the level of competition got better and teams figured Moore out.

Imo defenses figured out our lack of discipline combined with a weak running game put us at a huge disadvantage competing against the cover 2 scheme.

KM NEVER adjusted either. MM sat on his fat @^# and watched it burn down around him.

Those guys did us zero favors to end the season.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Bold - have you noticed that - played good the first half of the season - is a recurring theme for last years team.

Dak played very good, the o-line, Moore called good games, heck even Gregory balled out the first half on the season...

So what happened?

IMO the level of competition got better and teams figured Moore out.
There's a list of things that happened. Just within the team. But some use that as a point of argument instead of dissecting the reasons.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dead serious I thought we blew it until I see you hate it. Now I'm a believer it was probably the right choice. :laugh:
I remember you thinking we were making a Super Bowl run last year. The 49ers have no shot at beating the mightly Cowboys, right?

It's posters like you that ease the pain of bad loses. Watching you guys be so wrong all the time is truly a thing of pure beauty.

Then here you are, back again, acting like you know more than people that tried to tell you this is not a good football team. Why do you refuse logic? Why do you like being wrong? Has the "troll slayer", as you like to call yourself, become the troll?

Jenky

Reaction score
Bottom line, imo, the reason Cooper isn't here is because
"alledgedly" he called Dak a version of Kirk Cousins.

If you know the actual quote, you know.

A rift between the golden child and a WR is a large part of the reason Cooper was departed. History repeats.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Until the second half of last year he was avg in the ball park of 1200 and 6. He was performing until he stopped getting targets.
:hammer:....I'm expecting Cooper to have a rebound season in Cleveland.

Look @ Jerry's track record...when a season goes South.....blame the WR...

TO
Dez
Terrence Williams
Miles
Galloway
Beasley

@ some point Jerry needs to figure out...it's about the QB...And having an alpha leader in the room.

Creeper

Reaction score
Trading Cooper was the right thing to do. He is not a high motor guy and you can't have guys like that on the team with young players. But as Shannon said, if you want to trade him you cannot be trashing him at the media while you are looking for a trade partner. Then, saying you will cut him if you can't find a trade partner was just ridiculously stupid. And they did the same thing with La'el Collins.

And the thing is, they didn't need to trade either of them. They could have restructured Cooper like Cleveland did. His pro-rated bonus was only $2 million/year. With Collins there was no need at all to cut him because the CAP save they will get after June 1 won't even be used.

CWR

Reaction score

TO
Dez
Terrence Williams
Miles
Galloway
Beasley

@ some point Jerry needs to figure out...it's about the QB...And having an alpha leader in the room.

I put it as much on the coaches as the QB. It drove me crazy Dak stopped taking the shots he was in the beginning of the year. Yet, every time we had a "free play" he diced them up. What happened exactly? Did the qb lose confidence or was he being instructed to manage more carefully? If I'm the coach and I see the offense plummeting off a cliff I pull a Parcells and tell Dak I want you to throw 2 picks today. Push him to take those chances. Without doing so we were dead in the water.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
Yup. No question. Sucks. It doesn’t even seem they tested the market. I agree they showed their hand. They could’ve waited for offers to come in before shipping him.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Hey, I keep thinking it was a 6th. So a 5th, better than I though. :D
It is a 6th. What people fail to realize these days is that there are 2 rounds of comp picks prior to the start of the 5th. Essentially, the back half of the 5th is now the 6th round. And the 6th round is now the 7th round.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
That one move should be enough to prove that Jerry and Stephen are failures as management. You can’t win with poor management.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a 6th. What people fail to realize these days is that there are 2 rounds of comp picks prior to the start of the 5th. Essentially, the back half of the 5th is now the 6th round. And the 6th round is now the 7th round.

Yes, as a long time ago I said that Dak is actually a 5th rounder. So he has far surpassed that for a good NFL career so far. :D :popcorn:

ESisback

Reaction score
Without watching the show, they both said yes, with Horse Face extreme negative, and Skippy Soulless wishy-washy negative—just enough contrast for a salaciously trashy TV “debate”.

How close was I, or will no one admit watching?

CWR

Reaction score
A rift between the golden child and a WR is a large part of the reason Cooper was departed. History repeats.

That's a laughably trash narrative. I can't believe any of yall believe the black Cousins story. It's so beyond stupid.

CWR

Reaction score
Bottom line, imo, the reason Cooper isn't here is because
"alledgedly" he called Dak a version of Kirk Cousins.

If you know the actual quote, you know.

You actually believe Coop said this post game in a locker room full of media and players yet we heard nothing about it for a month?

Come on man, think about that.

IrishAnto

Reaction score

TO
Dez
Terrence Williams
Miles
Galloway
Beasley

33 years and counting since we last spent a 1st on a QB and don’t expect it to change soon.

Proof

Reaction score
Because there were SOOO many other teams making better offers.....

so dont trade him lol. it's simple.

Sturm said the only return less than Amari's in the past like 10 years was Robert Woods trade to the Titans for a 6th. Fresh off an ACL tear

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's Amari plus a 20M salary for a 5th. As our current cap space shows, we could have made it work if his production matched that salary. So the real question is was he worth a 1st round to begin with. He certainly changed our circumstances in the beginning, but it's less clear to me at least why that didn't really maintain over time. Did Lamb really take away that many catches? Maybe he did.

Lamb led the team in targets, yards, and receptions. Shultz was #2 in receptions. Cooper for all intense and purposes was the #3 option for Dak in our offense last year.

Cooper was a luxury we no longer needed and at 22 million it was time to go with have Lamb is our #1 and Gallup resigned. But lets also remember that to keep Cooper would have meant another 3 years of him at 22 million per year.

It was 100% the right move and the obvious move.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
so dont trade him lol. it's simple.

Sturm said the only return less than Amari's in the past like 10 years was Robert Woods trade to the Titans for a 6th. Fresh off an ACL tear

Jones boys are fools and get fleeced on every trade. They also should have gotten something for Collins and didnt. These guys are clowns.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When you watched all these other WRs get moved for greater return, even Jerry Jones apologists should have realized, crap, he screwed that up.

Who the heck are the Jerry Jones apologists? Everyone hates Jerry. For all the arguing on here and different takes there is 1 thing that every Cowboy fan agrees on. That Jerry sucks as a GM.