Skip Bayless: Jerry Jones has convinced Andy Dalton he'll start over Dak Prescott

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
That's the smart viewpoint. is entire schtick is to exaggerate, sensationalize or even fabricate to get attention, and it amazes me how well this works with a lot of people.

Those with an anti-Dak agenda literally salivate over stuff like this.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those with an anti-Dak agenda literally salivate over stuff like this.
Sure they do, but I think a lot of fans in general are that way. They love the soap opera and fabricated drama and conspiracy, and as long as the commentary supports what they choose to believe they will bury their head in the sand on the nonsense of it. It's funny how those same people so clearly see the soap opera and fabricated drama and conspiracy when the commentary doesn't support what they want to believe. It's as if some people don't even care about thinking things through on their own, and would rather take an emotional position, and then ignore everything but others taking the same emotional position.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Sure they do, but I think a lot of fans in general are that way. They love the soap opera and fabricated drama and conspiracy, and as long as the commentary supports what they choose to believe they will bury their head in the sand on the nonsense of it. It's funny how those same people so clearly see the soap opera and fabricated drama and conspiracy when the commentary doesn't support what they want to believe. It's as if some people don't even care about thinking things through on their own, and would rather take an emotional position, and then ignore everything but others taking the same emotional position.

I agree 100 percent.

This reminds me of about ten years ago when people suggested Dallas should start Jon Kitna over Tony Romo. We'd have some excellent NFL general managers around here, that's for sure.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Great, let's just factor in the stats that suit your particular narrative, and ignore what doesn't …

And there you go with the "elite" thing again, and again, I will tell you that when you recognize there is a hell of a lot of room between "bum" and "elite" rather than only being able to comprehend extremes, and rather than relying on extremes to fabricate an argument, then maybe we can talk rationally. I never used the word "elite", that's just an extreme position you are attributing to me to prop up an argument that you wouldn't otherwise have.

You've said an awful lot but you never seem to answer my question...so lets just agree to disagree shall we

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
3 million is kicker money. We're talking about a starting QB here. He's not taking that deal unless Jerry looked him in the eye and told him he was done with Prescott.

Dalton has a year to convince the Cowboys they don't need to draft one in April.
You just said it. Kicker money and that’s all he’s worth. He can’t throw the ball to the outside . Without it being intercepted. His deep balls float . The only thing Jerry would talk him into his guarantee being the back up that’s why we got rid of a rush. Don’t buy into the propaganda

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak Prescott has said multiple times. Let me prove myself before you pay me. He will play under the franchise tag. Again if he Proves Himself he will make absolutely more money in this league. I love that he keeps betting on himself.And that’s all he does is win. And with Jason Garrett no less. Imagine what he can do under this new coach supervision

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Anyone that even before the season starts wants their team to lose for ANY reason really isn't a fan of that team.
People are ridiculous. They don’t understand what a standard that sets losing. It’s good for no one. Yet they keep wanting to tank . Only cowards tank I know you know that

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You've said an awful lot but you never seem to answer my question...so lets just agree to disagree shall we
You questions are based on a false premise. I never said Dak was elite. You seem to only see it as a player is either a bum or elite, and there can be no discussion with that as your foundation. So, with that, I'm happy to end any attempt at discussion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're saying he's insurance and leverage, and Risen is saying Jerry told him he would start, and that's why he came. My comment was made toward Risen, who indicated Jerry must have told Dalton he would start, otherwise why would have come for only $3 million. I don't think that's logical because if he had a chance to start somewhere else for much more money he would have taken that. Plus, it may well be he took $3 million because he had limited options and wanted to stay in the game and get a better opportunity next year. After all, he was cut after most free agent QBs were snatched up, and after the draft, so that limited how many openings there were. On top of that, his contract is only for one year, so how much could Jerry have promised anyway?

I agree with you that he's insurance and leverage, but despite the fact he has made a lot of money, I doubt very much he would leave a ton of money on the table to come to Dallas when he could get significantly more elsewhere, and especially if he could have also got multiple years. Coming home is an incentive, I agree with that, but it's a deciding factor when other variables are at least close to equal. Players don't take a fraction of the money to come home, or to be "insurance and leverage" if they have a chance to start.
I’ve heard fans saying he turned down other opportunities and contracts to start elsewhere but I haven’t seen these reports.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bayless is saying basically what I’ve been saying ever since the Cowboys signed Dalton. However I don’t believe New England was interested in Dalton. No way would he have passed up working with Belichick and having a great opportunity to start for NE.
Yea, I keep hearing fans say Dalton turned down other starting opportunities but have yet to find any reports to substantiate such claims.

Only other offer I found was with with Steelers backing up Rothleisburger.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve heard fans saying he turned down other opportunities and contracts to start elsewhere but I haven’t seen these reports.

We've seen countless timesh ow unreliable fans are online. Many post rumors or their own speculation as if they are fact. We've seen the same with the media as well. Using lines like "unnamed source" or "whispers around the league" is an easy way to sell their product without having to support their reports with facts.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This from Football Rumors addresses that none of the 5 other teams offered a clear starting opportunity. This is only link I’ve found that even mentions these 5 other offers for Dalton.

“.. the Jaguars were believed to be in the Dalton mix. The Jets were as well. Dalton has certainly proven more than both those teams’ starters, but each will move ahead with Gardner Minshew and Sam Darnold, respectively. Aside from those two, the other Dalton suitors will have to look elsewhere to bolster their backup jobs.

The Bears may have come closest to landing Dalton, being reported to have been near a trade — to the point Dalton expected to be Chicago-bound. But those talks broke down, leading the Bears to acquire Nick Foles from the Jaguars. Having bypassed low-cost veterans in Dalton and Jameis Winston, after not drafting a quarterback, the Patriots continue to trend toward a legitimate Jarrett StidhamBrian Hoyer QB competition.”

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/05/five-teams-pursued-andy-dalton

MarkP88

Reaction score
Yea, I keep hearing fans say Dalton turned down other starting opportunities but have yet to find any reports to substantiate such claims.

Only other offer I found was with with Steelers backing up Rothleisburger.
I don't think there were any opportunities that provided a clear path to start. I think he knows he is coming here as a backup, but that depending on Dak's contract situation, he may get the opportunity to play, and if he does - given the talent around him - he'll probably do pretty well. Which would make him more attractive to teams looking for a starter when he hits the open market next year.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
If you actually take the time to watch the video the man has a point. It IS odd he'd sign here for 3 million.

It's happening, bros.

6097422_0.jpg

Skip bayless has been wrong 100% of the time. I like the odds of Dak being out starting QB

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We've seen countless times ow unreliable fans are online. Many post rumors or their own speculation as if they are fact. We've seen the same with the media as well. Using lines like "unnamed source" or "whispers around the league" is an easy way to sell their product without having to support their reports with facts.
In other words they are all unfounded. Dalton wasn’t offered a starting position elsewhere only being pursued for a backup role much like here in Dallas.

Which makes it more than obvious why this was an attractive location for him given the circumstances with Daks contract negotiations along with coming home.

Plus with the additional incentives his contract could bolster with playing in the event Dak holds out or is injured. Dalton could look much better in this offense and increase his offers next year much like we have seen others after a year as a backup shining in relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.