Video: Skip knows Jerry

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In this case, ownership gave leverage away. Some things are better left unsaid.

A bit of truth there in what you said, but Stephen is also simply stating the obvious. Unless somebody actually thinks that Elliott would ever agree to a contract that paid him less than Gurley? If you do, please stand up?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Jerry caves in and pays Zeke while there are still 2 years left on Zeke's rookie deal, other players are going to start doing the same. It sets the wrong precedent and can actually become financially destructive for the team during this salary cap age. Plus, ownership loses all leverage.
Only special players can do that. Zeke is a special player. I don't think Lenoir would get away with it.

superonyx

Reaction score
If Jerry caves in and pays Zeke while there are still 2 years left on Zeke's rookie deal, other players are going to start doing the same. It sets the wrong precedent and can actually become financially destructive for the team during this salary cap age. Plus, ownership loses all leverage.
It only applies to RB's due to their unique perception in this league of wearing out early. If you look at this truly objective you will see how its not the same for a RB as it is a WR, CB, QB, LB ect. It would be a different situation and all the players know it. It doesnt set a bad precedent to have a RB ask for an extension early. In fact its the team who set the precedent by publicly telling everyone how RB's wear out early and used this logic as justification to not give Demarco Murray an extension.

I guess people expect Zeke to play by the teams rules and let them run him into the ground for 5 years under a rookie contract, then 3 years under a franchise tag and then tell him they can't pay a RB a big contract who is in year 8 after touching the ball 400 times per year for 7 seasons.

The Rams and Eagles gave Gurley and Wentz extensions after year 3. I see nothing wrong with the team setting a precedent of rewarding players for outstanding performance.
In fact in the long run it saves the club money in salary cap since every year these salaries keep going up. Lock the guys up who you want to keep around long term at todays rate and not 2 years from now rate....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It only applies to RB's due to their unique perception in this league of wearing out early. If you look at this truly objective you will see how its not the same for a RB as it is a WR, CB, QB, LB ect. It would be a different situation and all the players know it. It doesnt set a bad precedent to have a RB ask for an extension early. In fact its the team who set the precedent by publicly telling everyone how RB's wear out early and used this logic as justification to not give Demarco Murray an extension.

I guess people expect Zeke to play by the teams rules and let them run him into the ground for 5 years under a rookie contract, then 3 years under a franchise tag and then tell him they can't pay a RB a big contract who is in year 8 after touching the ball 400 times per year for 7 seasons.

The Rams and Eagles gave Gurley and Wentz extensions after year 3. I see nothing wrong with the team setting a precedent of rewarding players for outstanding performance.
In fact in the long run it saves the club money in salary cap since every year these salaries keep going up. Lock the guys up who you want to keep around long term at todays rate and not 2 years from now rate....
By your own words, you are wrong since Wince was given an extension after only 3 seasons. He's a QB. Cowboys have never extended anyone with more than 1 year left on their current contract. Zeke can and should wait until next year to get extended. He's scheduled to make $3.8 million this year. That's not chump change.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
From what I'm reading I am correct. Emmitt was a restricted FA. This was before free agency really was a big thing which came in 1994.
http://dev.realclearsports.com/lists/memorable_nfl_holdouts/emmitt_smith_1993.html

Yeah, I was looking into this the other day and came up with evidence to the contrary. The attached link indicates that he signed a 4-year $2.8M deal in 1990, as a rookie, and that the 4th year was torn up when he signed the new deal after the hold out.

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/28/dallas-cowboys-emmitt-smith-career-earnings/

I have no idea which of our links is more authoritative. Just thought I'd let you know where I was coming from. You could still have it right.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jimmy treated star players differently.

Swanny

Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking into this the other day and came up with evidence to the contrary. The attached link indicates that he signed a 4-year $2.8M deal in 1990, as a rookie, and that the 4th year was torn up when he signed the new deal after the hold out.

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/28/dallas-cowboys-emmitt-smith-career-earnings/

I have no idea which of our links is more authoritative. Just thought I'd let you know where I was coming from. You could still have it right.
Here is a SI article quoting Emmitts agent saying he was a Restricted FA and was prepared to sit out the whole season.
https://www.si.com/vault/1994/02/14...vp-honors-than-even-he-could-have-seen-coming

Verdict

Reaction score
I.e. he loves guys who bow down to his ego and makes zero noise about it. I love seeing our terrible owner fumed and mad. People who say Zeke has no leverage are naive and burying their head in the sand. Dallas has absolutely no backup plan right now behind Zeke. Their whole offense is what Zeke brings to the table. Without him, this season would be bad. 2015 bad. Zeke knows that. Let's see if Jerry has the stones to throw this season in the toilet because of his ego.

They are already on record saying they want to pay Zeke, Amari and Dak. Who cares if it is 2 years sooner than later. The cap will continue to rise anyways. They can easily do it. Get it done and move on.

I “think” we are in much better shape to weather a year without Zeke than last year. Weber and Pollard are better backs than what we had on the roster last year.

Ajayi is also still floating around out there. Duke Johnson is on the trading block. Even Hunt may be available on the trading block for a pick.

Patrick

Reaction score
Skip is a ******* but I actually think he's right about this. Jerry is too proud & stubborn to cave to Zeke right now (unless it's a no brainer deal), he will go into the season with what we have and try to prove that he doesn't need Zeke and it will backfire.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I “think” we are in much better shape to weather a year without Zeke than last year. Weber and Pollard are better backs than what we had on the roster last year.

Ajayi is also still floating around out there. Duke Johnson is on the trading block. Even Hunt may be available on the trading block for a pick.

Nice. Piggyback off of all of my great ideas!
:laugh:

I've been looking around further and there are likely several other potential trade/release candidates that could get this team through the year.

The Bills are loaded at running back and someone will have to go out of Gore, TJ Yeldon, or likely starter Lesean McCoy.

And Giovani Bernard's time in Cincinnati might be up as well.

Point is, that there are options.

Swanny

Reaction score
I’d say that settles it. Pretty authoritative. Thanks for clearing that up.
I wasn't trying to be right or wrong I was just really curious as to what was right. Emmitts hold out is completely different than how most people think about holdouts

Verdict

Reaction score
Nice. Piggyback off of all of my great ideas!
:laugh:

I've been looking around further and there are likely several other potential trade/release candidates that could get this team through the year.

The Bills are loaded at running back and someone will have to go out of Gore, TJ Yeldon, or likely starter Lesean McCoy.

And Giovani Bernard's time in Cincinnati might be up as well.

Point is, that there are options.

I haven’t seen your post yet, but you are welcome. Lol