Video: Skip knows Jerry

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be right or wrong I was just really curious as to what was right. Emmitts hold out is completely different than how most people think about holdouts

I actually started off where you were, thinking it wasn’t really a hold-out, but was apparently misled when I tried to confirm my initial recollection.

Yeah, there’s no comparing what Emmitt did to what Zeke is doing.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wonder how much the utter failure of WR by committee weighs on the FO's mind.

I would certainly applaud the Cowboys for maintaining a tough stance on Zeke's holdout. However, I would be much more comfortable with that decision providing they don't take the "we're happy with who we have at RB" approach. Signing Morris was a pleasant surprise; I just hope it doesn't stop there and they look for someone else as well to fill the Zeke void.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
If Jerry caves in and pays Zeke while there are still 2 years left on Zeke's rookie deal, other players are going to start doing the same. It sets the wrong precedent and can actually become financially destructive for the team during this salary cap age. Plus, ownership loses all leverage.
I have to agree. The player signed a contract and should honor it. Once it is up, then go for the money. Honor your commitment.

superonyx

Reaction score
By your own words, you are wrong since Wince was given an extension after only 3 seasons. He's a QB. Cowboys have never extended anyone with more than 1 year left on their current contract. Zeke can and should wait until next year to get extended. He's scheduled to make $3.8 million this year. That's not chump change.
uhhhh nope.
You seem like one of those folks that have a hard time accepting more than 1 truth.
Wentz is a QB AND the Eagles extended him after 3 seasons. At no point did I say that you can't extend a QB early. Nor did I say you have to extend a RB early.
I simple stated that its more important for a RB to get an extension earlier than a QB. The Eagles extending a QB early only shows they are committed and smart to extend their player at todays rate and not the higher rate players will be paid in 2 years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder how much the utter failure of WR by committee weighs on the FO's mind.

I would certainly applaud the Cowboys for maintaining a tough stance on Zeke's holdout. However, I would be much more comfortable with that decision providing they don't take the "we're happy with who we have at RB" approach. Signing Morris was a pleasant surprise; I just hope it doesn't stop there and they look for someone else as well to fill the Zeke void.

I didn't get the same pleasant surprise by the Morris news that you did.

To me, it simply says more about "being comfortable". Morris was comfortable signing with the Cowboys. The Cowboys were comfortable signing a player they knew. And Elliott and Co are comfortable knowing that Morris poses no threat whatsoever to his role on the team.

I don't consider any of that to be good.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
uhhhh nope.
You seem like one of those folks that have a hard time accepting more than 1 truth.
Wentz is a QB AND the Eagles extended him after 3 seasons. At no point did I say that you can't extend a QB early. Nor did I say you have to extend a RB early.
I simple stated that its more important for a RB to get an extension earlier than a QB. The Eagles extending a QB early only shows they are committed and smart to extend their player at todays rate and not the higher rate players will be paid in 2 years.
This is what you said:

superonyx said:
"It only applies to RB's due to their unique perception in this league of wearing out early. If you look at this truly objective you will see how its not the same for a RB as it is a WR, CB, QB, LB ect. It would be a different situation and all the players know it. It doesnt set a bad precedent to have a RB ask for an extension early. In fact its the team who set the precedent by publicly telling everyone how RB's wear out early and used this logic as justification to not give Demarco Murray an extension."

Would you like to take back your last statement, because that is not what you initially said as quoted above?

Legend

Reaction score
Just pay Zeke $16M a year and end the holdout.

Zeke is probably the most important player on offense and defense (when ball control is working).

Lutonio

Reaction score
Can’t stand Skip but I hope he is right. Jerry loves when his guys are loyal. Zeke has quietly been a pain in the arse since day 1. This is 51/49 going to end badly for Zeke supporters.

Really, not so quietly.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What does a head coach treating players differently have anything to do with how Jerry and the Cowboys have always set precedent on when they pay their players?
Jimmy had a lot more to do with player and personnel than Garrett does. Do you disagree?

Legend

Reaction score
Zeke is just as important to the current Cowboys as Emmitt was to the early 90s Cowboys.

The defending SB champion Cowboys with the Great Wall of Dallas looked horrible during the first two games of the 1993 NFL season without Emmitt.

Once Emmitt returned, the Cowboys dominance and swagger returned.

Check out Jerry Jones blowing his lips in the video below after the defeat to the Buffalo Bills...

superonyx

Reaction score
This is what you said:

superonyx said:
"It only applies to RB's due to their unique perception in this league of wearing out early. If you look at this truly objective you will see how its not the same for a RB as it is a WR, CB, QB, LB ect. It would be a different situation and all the players know it. It doesnt set a bad precedent to have a RB ask for an extension early. In fact its the team who set the precedent by publicly telling everyone how RB's wear out early and used this logic as justification to not give Demarco Murray an extension."

Would you like to take back your last statement, because that is not what you initially said as quoted above?
Wow you are a little dense today aren't you?
Do you really not get it or are you just trying to argue?

I'm trying to think of a way to make this more simple for you but I am struggling.... Lets try this.
The need to demand a contract after 3 years only applies to a RB due to their shorter shelf life....Are you following me so far?
Wentz didnt demand a contract after 3 years therefore the statement above does not apply to a QB. At no point did I say or imply that a QB can't or shouldnt ask for an early contract. You are having a hard time understanding this very simple thought. A QB getting an early extension is nothing the same as a RB holding out to demand an early extension. If a QB does it then its harder to justify because those guys are considered more valuable the older they get (to a degree of course).

This isnt that complicated.
Sorry if I am coming off rude but its so simple that I can't help but feel that you are one of those argue just to argue types.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Wow you are a little dense today aren't you?
Do you really not get it or are you just trying to argue?

I'm trying to think of a way to make this more simple for you but I am struggling.... Lets try this.
The need to demand a contract after 3 years only applies to a RB due to their shorter shelf life....Are you following me so far?
Wentz didnt demand a contract after 3 years therefore the statement above does not apply to a QB. At no point did I say or imply that a QB can't or shouldnt ask for an early contract. You are having a hard time understanding this very simple thought. A QB getting an early extension is nothing the same as a RB holding out to demand an early extension. If a QB does it then its harder to justify because those guys are considered more valuable the older they get (to a degree of course).

This isnt that complicated.
Sorry if I am coming off rude but its so simple that I can't help but feel that you are one of those argue just to argue types.
Can't read your mind dude. Had you explained yourself properly the way you just did, we wouldn't be here arguing. Regardless, Jerry and the Cowboys don't ever give extensions to their RBs when they are under contract for 2 more years. He didn't do it for Emmitt, not for Demarco, and he won't do it for Zeke, especially now that the price to resign his other currently owed WR, QB, LB and CB has just gone up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Zeke is just as important to the current Cowboys as Emmitt was to the early 90s Cowboys.

The defending SB champion Cowboys with the Great Wall of Dallas looked horrible during the first two games of the 1993 NFL season without Emmitt.

Once Emmitt returned, the Cowboys dominance and swagger returned.

Check out Jerry Jones blowing his lips in the video below after the defeat to the Buffalo Bills...

Yep and that set up Emmitt to be MVP.

Similar results could happen with Elliott. I’m sure the Homers will come running back to him. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can't read your mind dude. Had you explained yourself properly the way you just did, we wouldn't be here arguing. Regardless, Jerry and the Cowboys don't ever give extensions to their RBs when they are under contract for 2 more years. He didn't do it for Emmitt, not for Demarco, and he won't do it for Zeke, especially now that the price to resign his other currently owed WR, QB, LB and CB has just gone up.
No doubt but we didn’t have the Salary Cap and Rookie contracts then.

High draft picks were given big contracts before they ever took a snap. They didn’t have to wait 4 or 5 years for owners to open up the checkbook. The holdouts back in that era were Rookies before they signed their 1st contract.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
A bit of truth there in what you said, but Stephen is also simply stating the obvious. Unless somebody actually thinks that Elliott would ever agree to a contract that paid him less than Gurley? If you do, please stand up?

It's still bad business to go into negotiations by publicly announcing a floor for yourself. I guarantee Jerry didn't become a billionaire by making deals that way. Then again, Stephen was born into it.

What it comes down to is neither of them can resist a microphone.