Twitter: Skruggs: Cowboys source on Garrett “No one is in his corner”

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"A 2000 meta-analysis found that fear of death grows in the first half of life, but by the time we hit the 61-to-87 age group, it recedes to a stable, manageable level." - Time Magazine, https://time.com/5159892/how-to-become-less-afraid-of-death/
You have to hope Jerry feels pressure because of his age. That he doesn't have a lot of time left and he's willing to sacrifice some of the control for a real coach.

That has to be the mindset or this coaching change won't mean a damn thing. It'll just give you a new scapegoat to hate and blame everything on like you've done the last 24 years.
Let's review for moment:
  • Jones was 64 when he hired Garrett as offensive coordinator with only two years of coaching on his resume
  • Jones was 68 when he named Garrett as head coach
  • Jones was 72 when he gave Garrett a five-year extension
With respect, I ask does ANYONE truly believe for themselves Jones will take (favorable) action in fear of his own mortality at age 77? If so, I disagree completely.

Some people have increasingly held onto this 'fear of dying' concept as the reason why Jones will do things differently as he gets older. That idea is likely a false assumption. Most human beings gradually adjust to the concept of their life some day ending. Those who do not sometimes choose to end their life in fear of dying naturally of old age.

I might agree to the idea if Jones was suddenly given a terminal diagnosis and knew his life was ending far sooner than he envisioned. It is under those circumstances when some people will act in ways atypical of how they lived their life.

For me, Jones will continue acting and reacting the same way he has demonstrated to the world for the past 30 years. Typically, Jones does what he thinks is right. It explains why he has backed Garrett for over a decade. In my opinion, he will not experienced some type of 180 degree shift in thinking after waking up one morning, looking in his bathroom mirror, and suddenly start screaming, "AAAAHHH! I'M THE CRYPTKEEPER! AAAAAAAAAH!"

Jones' next head coaching hire will likely be who he thinks is the best choice fitting his mentality. This possibility should be accepted by all to prevent eventual (total) self-disappointment.

cowboyec

Reaction score
well somebody is.
they are working out kickers after Stephen said on Friday they were sticking with Maher...which ran against what Garrett said Thurs Night.
somebody over-ruled Stephen.

Bigdog

Reaction score
It would not surprise me if he doesn’t coach some where else that Jerry doesn’t give him a job in the front office.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He should. But it seems he doesn’t want to take that abuse and right now Garrett is taking all the heat. Selfish on Jerry’s part especially for someone he considers a friend.

It really is. It's painfully obvious that Garrett has lost the locker room. By keeping him, all Jerry is doing is hurting his future endeavors. That's not right. It's not helping anyone. The players need new inspiration, and Garrett is clearly not returning. So, why prolong the inevitable?

yimyammer

Reaction score
"A 2000 meta-analysis found that fear of death grows in the first half of life, but by the time we hit the 61-to-87 age group, it recedes to a stable, manageable level." - Time Magazine, https://time.com/5159892/how-to-become-less-afraid-of-death/

Let's review for moment:
  • Jones was 64 when he hired Garrett as offensive coordinator with only two years of coaching on his resume
  • Jones was 68 when he named Garrett as head coach
  • Jones was 72 when he gave Garrett a five-year extension
With respect, I ask does ANYONE truly believe for themselves Jones will take (favorable) action in fear of his own mortality at age 77? If so, I disagree completely.

Some people have increasingly held onto this 'fear of dying' concept as the reason why Jones will do things differently as he gets older. That idea is likely a false assumption. Most human beings gradually adjust to the concept of their life some day ending. Those who do not sometimes choose to end their life in fear of dying naturally of old age.

I might agree to the idea if Jones was suddenly given a terminal diagnosis and knew his life was ending far sooner than he envisioned. It is under those circumstances when some people will act in ways atypical of how they lived their life.

For me, Jones will continue acting and reacting the same way he has demonstrated to the world for the past 30 years. Typically, Jones does what he thinks is right. It explains why he has backed Garrett for over a decade. In my opinion, he will not experienced some type of 180 degree shift in thinking after waking up one morning, looking in his bathroom mirror, and suddenly start screaming, "AAAAHHH! I'M THE CRYPTKEEPER! AAAAAAAAAH!"

Jones' next head coaching hire will likely be who he thinks is the best choice fitting his mentality. This possibility should be accepted by all to prevent eventual (total) self-disappointment.

THE WHOLE FRIGGING ORGANIZATION NEEDS AN ENEMA BUT THE OWNER REFUSES & ITS LIKELY HIS SPAWN WILL FOLLOW SUIT!!

sticky this comment and throw it in my face if its ever proven wrong:

The new coach won't make a damn bit of difference (in terms of winning Super Bowls), things will initially feel a little better, probably even supported by some wins, maybe even playoff wins but at the end of the day, the organization structure, philosophy, arrogance, endless money stream and buffoon GM, etc will continue to undermine any coaches ability to win a super bowl in Dallas.

It will only be a matter of time before we are complaining about the new guys inability to do x, y and/or z.

Book it!

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
What pisses me off is what changed? Now no one is in his corner? They are 6-6. They’ve been a .500 team since he’s been here. Year 10 of the same crap and now you aren’t in his corner? You should’ve felt this way 4 years ago.
I said this in another thread:
Is there some thing in the water at the Star that make the front office the "last to know" about anything and everything.