Twitter: Slater: Cowboys are prepared to let each play on prove-it deals

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Good! That’s exactly the position I had hoped the team would take.

Credit to ‘em!
:clap:
Exactly and it always appears dark in a tunnel until you reach that crack shining light in. I'd say they are about half in the tunnel for all three.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly and it always appears dark in a tunnel until you reach that crack shining light in. I'd say they are about half in the tunnel for all three.

And I think it's easy for these agents and players to talk tough when there's nobody hitting them risking injury. Let's see how they feel when the games start.

erod

Reaction score
Cooper seems OK with playing out his deal.

I assume Dak would be too.

Elliott? He can be a knucklehead so who knows that he's thinking.

Frankly, I have no problems with the Cowboys doing just that.
I totally agree.

But.......

Keep in mind, they only have one franchise tag. They're going to have to pay either Dak or Amari to keep one of them from becoming unrestricted. However, they also have a transition tag, right? Perhaps they can put a 1st-round tag on Cooper if it came to that.

Dak will be playing with a lot of money pressure this season if they do it this way. I really like that. Let him prove it, then pay the crap out of him. Or not, depending solely on how he improves and performs.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They saw what happened with D-Law, and it'll happen again.

Contracts always go up. What seemed like an "overpayment" a year ago is now considered ok the year after and 2 years later it's a steal.

It's like the rising house prices but without the fear of defaulting on your loan.

Say Dak wants 32 mil this year but the Cowboys are stuck on 30.5mil, for example. He goes out and has a good year, posts better numbers etc... He isn't going to accept 32 mil in 2020, and may want closer to 34-35, especially since Mahomes will be eligible for an extension in 2020 and he'll definitely reset the market.

What if he doesn't have a good year? What if it's a 2017 performance (for whatever reason) or the first half of 2018?

They want to be paid like the top players at their position, let them prove it.

Right now, Zeke is the only one who has played like the top player at his position consistently in his career ... but the issue with him isn't his play.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
And if they win some early games, which they easily could given the quality of opponents, Zeke finds himself in a tough spot.
This is true. I didn't say there wasn't risk. As a RB he will never have a lot of leverage so you have to take the chance that it works out - or you fall back on what you already have.

Section446

Reaction score
If he proves it, pay him a hundred gajillion. I wouldn't care.

But right now, don't pay an average QB like he's the best player in the NFL.
Absolutely, if he goes out there and take it to the next level, make him a $35-$40 million guy, but right now he's a $15-$20 million type.

erod

Reaction score
Absolutely, if he goes out there and take it to the next level, make him a $35-$40 million guy, but right now he's a $15-$20 million type.

Fortunately - and I give give Dak HUGE credit for this - I think he knows what his worth is right now. Otherwise, he'd be holding out, too.

It would be so great if he fully panned out because he is a rock solid dude.

erod

Reaction score
Zeke leads the league in rushing the last three years. I think he's proved it already. He's the only one of the three that deserves the money they want

Agreed, but I'd want about 20 pages of protection in that contract that covers knuckleheaded suspensions.

Flamma

Reaction score
Cooper is the only one I'd give a contract to right now. They know they're keeping him, get him out of the way before the price tag goes up. If Zeke doesn't play I'd hold off on Dak. If he can kick *** this upcoming season without Zeke then pay the man. No other choice. It would be very costly too. But Dak is doing this to himself. If he didn't want elite money he'd probably have a long term deal right now at around 25 mil per. Instead he's forcing the Cowboys to make him prove his worth above that.

quickccc

Reaction score
Good! That’s exactly the position I had hoped the team would take.

Credit to ‘em!
:clap:

it's not Good.
if dak and cooper play out their final contract years, then we are going to risk letting one of them go, and it's very likely going to be Amari Cooper, as the team will franchise tag their starting QB.
The challenge of this team is making it happen with re-signed contracts to two of their prominent players before the season is up.
And it's no guarantee with rookie drafted WRs and we saw how Cooper instantly rejuvenated this passing game the moment he got here.

Wanna be a go for it Super Bowl team? , ..the Jones' need to find a way to make it happen .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it's not Good.
if dak and cooper play out their final contract years, then we are going to risk letting one of them go, and it's very likely going to be Amari Cooper, as the team will franchise tag their starting QB.
The challenge of this team is making it happen with re-signed contracts to two of their prominent players before the season is up.
And it's no guarantee with rookie drafted WRs and we saw how Cooper instantly rejuvenated this passing game the moment he got here.

Wanna be a go for it Super Bowl team? , ..the Jones' need to find a way to make it happen .

Nobody is going anywhere this year. Let's make this our "go for it Super Bowl year". It has to happen at some point and it can't always just be "next year".

Win something before you demand to be paid like one.