Twitter: Slater: Cowboys are prepared to let each play on prove-it deals

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper seems OK with playing out his deal.

I assume Dak would be too.

Elliott? He can be a knucklehead so who knows that he's thinking.

Frankly, I have no problems with the Cowboys doing just that.

Cooper just wants to play football and is willing to wait until next year if need be. He will get paid even if not here. What may derail that if Zeke is not here, and they key on Cooper and relying on Dak to beat a team, he does not have a great year.

Dak, about the same he wants to prove himself and that he can win without Zeke and take the team to the playoffs, He is not concerned either, as he has confidence in himself to prove it.

Thing is they both may need to rely on Zeke to have the type of yeas they want to have.

As for Zeke, he wants his money now, to secure his future. Cooper gets what 6 to 10 targets per game, plus some blocking assignments. Which is not exactly a lot of hits per game. Dak handles the ball what 50 times a game average. But half of those he hands off, and the rest he gets off a pass. He really is not taking as many hits as a RB. He got sacked 52 times last year, which should be less this year with TFred back and a better OL overall. So with QB hits, pressures, sacks, and a few running plays a game. How often is he taking hits.

But for a RB, if Zeke getting almost 400 touches a year. That is 25 per game and getting hit on every play or 98% of them, plus his blocking assignments. His injury risk factor is a lot higher. So he wants his money now, as to what if he gets injured this season, he will not get his new deal for another year.
That could be a possibility he sees it that way.

But I agree, with you, as I do not have an issue with them handling it the way they are.

quickccc

Reaction score
They saw what happened with D-Law, and it'll happen again.

Contracts always go up. What seemed like an "overpayment" a year ago is now considered ok the year after and 2 years later it's a steal.

It's like the rising house prices but without the fear of defaulting on your loan.

Say Dak wants 32 mil this year but the Cowboys are stuck on 30.5mil, for example. He goes out and has a good year, posts better numbers etc... He isn't going to accept 32 mil in 2020, and may want closer to 34-35, especially since Mahomes will be eligible for an extension in 2020 and he'll definitely reset the market.

the Jones played the "Deadline " game with DLaw, they could have given the deal he finally got earlier on, but they wanted to hold out as long as they could before it became critical with that much needed shoulder surgery to commence in time before the regular season.
More likely they did the latest time with Zack Martin with his new contract, the Jones will likely do the same with the three amigos.
But it does look like it's going to be the ugly hard ball deadline game - especially when it comes to Stephen Jones.

The one player that I really think he will get a parameter closer to what he wants and will get is Prescott as I believe the team cherishes a franchise QB more than any position or player on the roster.
position is just way too damn hard to come by, and even luck has to become a factor in at times. Dak may not end up being THE highest paid QB, but he will (at least) get the 30+ million and top THREE at his position before it's all said and done.

GMO415

Reaction score
EzE is just being absurd. He's making $13 million over the next two years. While his QB is making $700k a year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So does that mean that we extended new offers or are these the offers we already made.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who in the hell exactly are you going to replace Dak with? Cooper? White? Come on man.

I don't know. But you don't overpay for a QB (or any player for that matter) because you don't have an option at this time. That's a dumb way to do business.

It's like paying $50K for a 10 year old BMW 3 series because there isn't a new one on the lot at that time.

glimmerman

Reaction score
EzE is just being absurd. He's making $13 million over the next two years. While his QB is making $700k a year.
Yeah and Elliot is wanting record setting money. Dak is asking for wentz money. I would pay Dak first. Elliot has to come down to earth a bit. It’s a huge drop off from 1 to 2 RB, gurly makes 14.3 and the next highest is like 8 million.

JayFord

Reaction score
Paxton Lynch says hello.

It boggles my mind that you guys want to get rid of a franchise QB so they can draft one next year in the first. Lynch is who they tried to get, you think Lynch is better than Dak? If so you are a fool

But I never said I wanted to get rid of Dak....I said I wanted him to retire a cowboy

However yes he is replaceable if it needs to be done....as much as I like Dak there are QBs coming out that can surpass him

Just because I like Dak does not mean I can’t be realistic

erod

Reaction score
True.

However, an elite running back plays about 7-8 years and gets one fairly big contract. An elite quarterback plays 12-20 years and gets 2-3 mammoth contracts.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't know. But you don't overpay for a QB (or any player for that matter) because you don't have an option at this time. That's a dumb way to do business.

It's like paying $50K for a 10 year old BMW 3 series because there isn't a new one on the lot at that time.
The thing is that the FO is sold on Dak. They aren’t waiting to see if he improves.

Sydla

Reaction score
Paxton Lynch says hello.

It boggles my mind that you guys want to get rid of a franchise QB so they can draft one next year in the first. Lynch is who they tried to get, you think Lynch is better than Dak? If so you are a fool

If people don't think he's proven himself yet as a franchise QB, why does it boggle your mind?

If the Cowboys have the option of seeing him play more before handing over a big contract, it's the prudent business move to do that. Signing a guy to a huge contract because you have no other options at QB is really a dumb business decision. Because what if Dak goes out and plays more like a 15th ranked QB instead of a Top 5 QB and you are paying him $34MM a year?

That's a sure fire way to basically screw yourself for the next 5-6 years.

Sydla

Reaction score
The thing is that the FO is sold on Dak. They aren’t waiting to see if he improves.

They are waiting on something. They won't budge off the offer it seems. So they have placed a value on Dak and I suspect it's lower than some of you guys realize. So at this point, it probably behooves them to just let him play out 2019 unless he wants to sign for what they think his value is.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If people don't think he's proven himself yet as a franchise QB, why does it boggle your mind?

If the Cowboys have the option of seeing him play more before handing over a big contract, it's the prudent business move to do that. Signing a guy to a huge contract because you have no other options at QB is really a dumb business decision. Because what if Dak goes out and plays more like a 15th ranked QB instead of a Top 5 QB and you are paying him $34MM a year?

That's a sure fire way to basically screw yourself for the next 5-6 years.
They aren’t asking him to prove it. Really not any of the 3. Elliot won’t sign a 1 year prove it deal. None of them will.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a dangerous gamble if they do.....
Versus having these 3 in the top 5 paid at their position when only 1 is in the top 5?

If they have already offered top 5 money to all 3 and been rebuked, what dos that tell them? Can any team really compete with the 3 O skill positions in the top 5, 3 OL in the top 6 and the top paid 4/3 DE in the league? At what point do they realize they have 50% of their cap committed to 13% of their team? Not to mention a RT, CB, LB and others wanting to get paid by Daddy Warbucks throwing all of this money around.

They better be the healthiest team in the NFL.

JayFord

Reaction score
They aren’t asking him to prove it. Really not any of the 3. Elliot won’t sign a 1 year prove it deal. None of them will.
I agree

It would be Downright disrespectful to offer Elliott a one year prove it deal