Twitter: Slater: Cowboys are prepared to let each play on prove-it deals

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Where is the front offices prove it deal ....... The only thing they have proven is how bad they suck

khiladi

Reaction score
Always trying to nickle and dime. If only we held the head coach to the “prove it deal” standard

Yep.. it just shows the ‘nepotism’ in the organization.
Like I said, Jerry just bought a 250 million dollar yacht and gave Garrett one of the most expensive coaching contracts in the league at their respective times, while he floundered around and ruined Romo’s career.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Were those two teams in '93 as bad as the current Giants, Commanders, and (first pick in the 2020 draft!) Dolphins? I don't recall that they were. In fact, I think one of them was in the Super Bowl the year before? Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I know one was Buffalo, who we crushed in the superbowl and lost to without Smith in September 8 months later. Not sure who the other was, bottom line tho JJ caved to Emmitt after the 0-2 start and signed him. I think ES still won the rushing title and then we killed Buffalo again 6 months later in the next superbowl.

khiladi

Reaction score
I’ve maintained that Dallas is just trying to be cheap nowadays. Stephen Jones said in 2017 pre-draft this organization was allegedly hurt by spending big money in free agency and they would no longer do it. He was saying they would try and build out of the draft and try and extend the guys ‘they develop’ early, before they hit even free agency, getting them at value deals. Stephen mentioned they would basically sell this as allowing them to build around the players a better team.

The 2016 season was the defining moment where this FO officially became even further delusional. It allowed them to sell Garrett again and gave them the excuse they needed to be cheap.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know one was Buffalo, who we crushed in the superbowl and lost to without Smith in September 8 months later. Not sure who the other was, bottom line tho JJ caved to Emmitt after the 0-2 start and signed him. I think ES still won the rushing title and then we killed Buffalo again 6 months later in the next superbowl.

You're right about the finish. That Super Bowl Champion team was able to repeat once they got their rushing champion back. In 1993.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Damn......this could get ugly

If this is true and Dak does not sign the offer he has to be one of the dumbest person that I know. To be paid in the top 5 at your position when there are other qbs who imo are better than you. He needs to jump at that offer ASAP. I thinking Cooper needs to do the same. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Rothenberger, are all qbs off the top of my head that are better than Prescott. Hopefully, Prescott will be in that category some day.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another Jerry mistake when he didn't sign Foles on the cheap......

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep.. it just shows the ‘nepotism’ in the organization.
Like I said, Jerry just bought a 250 million dollar yacht and gave Garrett one of the most expensive coaching contracts in the league at their respective times, while he floundered around and ruined Romo’s career.

The "Romo" mistake still taking its share of victims!
Jerry your are a great owner and a terrible GM......
Now go give Dak 30 million and destroy another generation of talented players as this is your special GM quality!

khiladi

Reaction score
The "Romo" mistake still taking its share of victims!
Jerry your are a great owner and a terrible GM......
Now go give Dak 30 million and destroy another generation of talented players as this is your special GM quality!

The problem is, the ownership seems to be the growing influence of Stephen.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is, the ownership seems to be the growing influence of Stephen.

Let's hope he's not chip off the old block!
This Dak deal is big pretty much the whole franchises future depending on what Jerry and Son decide about #4.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I’ve maintained that Dallas is just trying to be cheap nowadays. Stephen Jones said in 2017 pre-draft this organization was allegedly hurt by spending big money in free agency and they would no longer do it. He was saying they would try and build out of the draft and try and extend the guys ‘they develop’ early, before they hit even free agency, getting them at value deals. Stephen mentioned they would basically sell this as allowing them to build around the players a better team.

The 2016 season was the defining moment where this FO officially became even further delusional. It allowed them to sell Garrett again and gave them the excuse they needed to be cheap.

That's not being cheap, that's just good arbitrage.

The best value in the NFL is a first-contract starter. We have Dak playing for $2M this season while his real market value is probably in the neighborhood of $30M. LVE is playing for $2.5M when he could get $15M on the free agent market tomorrow were he eligible.

But with free agency, you don't get that kind of value. To be fair, there's a few diamonds in the rough; Eric Ebron was priced cheaply because Detroit misused him, and he turned $6M salary into 15 TDs for the Colts. But that usually doesn't happen. Most of the time, you either get what you pay for, or you overpay in lean years when too many dollars are stuck chasing too few good free agents. Rarely do you get a player who's worth more than what you signed him for.

So Stephen's just being smart. Free agency has its uses (the Broncos built two Super Bowl teams on the back of free agency), but the name of the game is maximizing the value of your cap dollars, and draft-and-develop is a lot higher probability way to do that. Every draft pick you hit on is basically stealing money from the cap.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It isn’t ugly...it’s just business....and Elliott is the only one who doesn’t need a prove it deal

I like Dak but I’d be lying if I said he’s not replaceable and it hurts me to say it because I want him to retire a Cowboy

And Coopers only been here half a season I wouldn’t even bother with numbers right now for him

LOL..........Dak is replaceable with who? Where are you going to find a franchise QB, pro bowl caliber with all the intangibles and clutch abilities of Dak? Good luck with that.

Talk about a naive thing to say.

A franchise QB is a necessity. A #1 threat like Cooper is a necessity. A top 5 RB is NOT a necessity, its a luxury.

CWR

Reaction score
If they have concerns about him staying out of trouble then they need to save their money. He’s about to be a 4 year pro. Those days should be over.

I agree. Zeke was pretty slick about this though. If the FO knew his intentions prior to the draft we probably would have gone RB sooner. I know they like the guys they got (like always,) but drafting a rb in round 2 would have been on the table.

If we had that player in place I think the decision would be more obvious. At this point you are putting a ton of hope in a 30 year old RB who cant catch, a 7th rounder and a RB whose never carried the load.

The fact we are of the belief we can compete for a title this season has to factor in as well.

Bowdown27

Reaction score

For once I believe fish. I think top 5 offers are very good and will go up a bit from there. I think they all get done. I find it very mature of cooper and Dak showing up and playing hard in practice. Zeke has two years left and pulling this. We all know what he means to the offense. So we kind of made this immature kid even more volatile.

khiladi

Reaction score
That's not being cheap, that's just good arbitrage.

The best value in the NFL is a first-contract starter. We have Dak playing for $2M this season while his real market value is probably in the neighborhood of $30M. LVE is playing for $2.5M when he could get $15M on the free agent market tomorrow were he eligible.

But with free agency, you don't get that kind of value. To be fair, there's a few diamonds in the rough; Eric Ebron was priced cheaply because Detroit misused him, and he turned $6M salary into 15 TDs for the Colts. But that usually doesn't happen. Most of the time, you either get what you pay for, or you overpay in lean years when too many dollars are stuck chasing too few good free agents. Rarely do you get a player who's worth more than what you signed him for.

So Stephen's just being smart. Free agency has its uses (the Broncos built two Super Bowl teams on the back of free agency), but the name of the game is maximizing the value of your cap dollars, and draft-and-develop is a lot higher probability way to do that. Every draft pick you hit on is basically stealing money from the cap.

It’s being cheap and it’s good arbitrage from his side, if he can get the TOP-DOLLAR player to sign CHEAP. We are talking about the already proven, established players here, like Zeke. If he can’t the it’s just being cheap. The main point being though, THEIR policy is to negotiate early.

So saying Zeke shouldn’t negotiate early with 2 years left is a joke, when that’s the policy of the Cowboys. Zeke is also playing good arbitrage from his side.

Last edited: