Twitter: Slater: Keep an eye on Trysten Hill at 58

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The larger point is those two players were average and that's being generous.of course a player's stats would increase when he has more playing time. Six and seven sacks from career backup players is not evidence of a great coach.

I think you're reaching to make a point. Neither player had done anything near what they did in Dallas, including earning more playing time in order to produce those better numbers. Marinelli has a history of getting the most out of average players. He can't turn them into stars, but a seven-sack season from a journeyman is pretty good work.

gimmesix

Reaction score
every player at 58 has issues and is a risk. overall Dallas a done a decent job in the draft. i think they've earned some trust from us

I don't complain about any player before I see how they turn out as pros. I think it's silly to do it just because we think a player might not be the best pick. In reality, what do we know?

I do complain sometimes about the positions that we end up choosing because there are some areas on the team where we sometimes see a need while the front office is claiming it's just fine.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I watched some tape on him again and am sort of starting to talk myself into him.

Dude is very, very explosive in a straight line and has hustle for days. Super easy to see how he would fit as a Marinelli 3 tech. He gets in on plays that most DTs would have no business making because he's fast and just never stops chasing. On top of that, he checked in as an 88th percentile NFL athlete, so I think that burst and speed would translate well.

The attitude / laziness rumors really bother me though - look at Taco to see how that's a big issue - and he's just not going to give you anything against the run at the pro level if he doesn't beat his man immediately off the snap.

So I'd say he's a very good scheme fit and an upside/downside kind of 3 tech penetrator. Could be Javon Hargrave, could get repeatedly washed by NFL blockers before he mentally quits Taco or Morris Claiborne style.

There's about a dozen names on the board I like and 25 picks to go before we're up, so I'm starting to think there may not be good starter material up when we pick at #58. If a Thornhill type player isn't there, then I guess Hill might be the best of the rest.

Here's a good tape to kind of help the upcoming Friday night medicine go down.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I watched some tape on him again and am sort of starting to talk myself into him.

Dude is very, very explosive in a straight line and has hustle for days. Super easy to see how he would fit as a Marinelli 3 tech. He gets in on plays that most DTs would have no business making because he's fast and just never stops chasing. On top of that, he checked in as an 88th percentile NFL athlete, so I think that burst and speed would translate well.

The attitude / laziness rumors really bother me though - look at Taco to see how that's a big issue - and he's just not going to give you anything against the run at the pro level if he doesn't beat his man immediately off the snap.

So I'd say he's a very good scheme fit and an upside/downside kind of 3 tech penetrator. Could be Javon Hargrave, could get repeatedly washed by NFL blockers before he mentally quits Taco or Morris Claiborne style.

There's about a dozen names on the board I like and 25 picks to go before we're up, so I'm starting to think there may not be good starter material up when we pick at #58. If a Thornhill type player isn't there, then I guess Hill might be the best of the rest.

I am way more impressed by Singletary than Hill in that clip.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I can see the appeal of Hill to scouts and the coaching staff. His upside is as good as any DT in this draft. If the team hits on him, it can hit big because of his burst and his pop.

The risk is that he has a lot to learn techniquewise and he might not be willing to put in the work and might not have a good attitude about it. I can't really judge that part because it's not something you see on film. If we do take him at 58, we'll just have to hope those things that have held him back from being the type of player his skills say he should be can be coached out of him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
show me somebody that has a poor work ethic, I will show you an underachiever in life, business, sports...you name it. If this kid is the pick, I would be disappointed.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
I think you're reaching to make a point. Neither player had done anything near what they did in Dallas, including earning more playing time in order to produce those better numbers. Marinelli has a history of getting the most out of average players. He can't turn them into stars, but a seven-sack season from a journeyman is pretty good work.
Well just have to agree to disagree. I believe the cowboys dline ranked in the bottom half of the league in sacks when selvie and mayowa were starters . Again getting average results from average players is nothing to brag about.i believe d law is the only d lineman rod has developed into a probowler in his time with the cowboys. For most of rods time , he hasn't had a above average starter on his d line. Look at what mike Zimmer did with Genoa Atkins and burfeciet when he was with the bengals

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A 4th should get you in the 40s in the 2nd. Move up and get your safety and then use your 5th to move up in the 3rd.

And I really don't trust Rod Marinelli when it comes to drafting DTs. He's the guy that celebrates Ivey in the late rounds like we just landed Aaron Donald.

So give away two picks to move up for 2 players. But stay put and get 2 equally good players and still get 2 more players with the 2 picks you did not give up.
It is a deep draft for the same quality players from mid 2nd on into the 4th round.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
After seeing his negatives- work ethic and maturity- I stopped reading the scouting report.

Hill may have talent that cannot be taught, but no coach can make a player "want it" if he doesn't want it.

I would rather have a marginal talent that overachieves than a supremely talented player that doesn't give a rat's behind. Those players poison a locker room.

Rayman70

Reaction score
After seeing his negatives- work ethic and maturity- I stopped reading the scouting report.

Hill may have talent that cannot be taught, but no coach can make a player "want it" if he doesn't want it.

I would rather have a marginal talent that overachieves than a supremely talented player that doesn't give a rat's behind. Those players poison a locker room.
same here

Rayman70

Reaction score
AS SOON AS any player has a scouting report that reads poor or questionable work ethic, I lose interest altogether and move on to the next guy fast.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

Unless Florida Atlantic's left guard is some sort of sleeper future top pick, all that video is showing me is Hill getting handled easily and regularly. Great pursuit to the sideline but he is losing most of his one-on-one match-ups.