Twitter: Slater: Keep an eye on Trysten Hill at 58

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Broaddus is claiming that McClay told him later that the report was wrong. That McClay was on board with taking Taco and that there wasn't this divide in the war room.

It could be spin after the fact, so who knows. I do recall that leading up to the draft, there were multiple reports that the scouts liked Watt and Marinelli quietly was telling the front office that he wasn't sure he could use him.

I'd say it's most likely that the scouts didn't have the two players separated by much, so they went with the one Marinelli better felt fit the scheme. If there had been a gulf between them, we probably would have seen McClay standing on the table.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I've said it already this morning, but it will be interesting if Samuel is there. i think whoever goes at 58, will have limited snaps this year. The staff can sometimes be hard headed with players. They love Heath, so I dont' see a rookie safety starting. WR - will be tough with Coop, Gallup, Cobb and austin above him.
sounds like a DT would potentially see the field more....or RB2.

stiletto

Reaction score
I'd say it's most likely that the scouts didn't have the two players separated by much, so they went with the one Marinelli better felt fit the scheme. If there had been a gulf between them, we probably would have seen McClay standing on the table.

The fact that there WAS NOT a gulf between them is concerning, considering Taco couldn't hold Watt's "anything"....

gimmesix

Reaction score
The fact that there WAS NOT a gulf between them is concerning, considering Taco couldn't hold Watt's "anything"....

Well, I was for Watt, so I think a lot of us saw just from the eyeball test that he was the better choice. However, evaluating prospects is not an exact science. Sometimes what a scout believes to be there doesn't materialize with a player and other times, they absolutely nail it. The question is whether the scouts are right more often than they are wrong. If not, then you need new scouts.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So throw some money in the lap of a poor work ethic......pass

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I'm going against the crowd here.

There are several still-available kids that I would take first, including four safeties, but if he is the pick, I am not going freak out and I am actually going to be kind of excited about it.

The truth is the kid has a great first step for a big man and his Sparq rating is really high. Yes, yes, Taco, but Rod does do a pretty good job getting kids coached up on the DL. I really think this kid has a chance to the 3T we need a year or two down the road.

About character concerns, has anyone heard anything besides he did not get along with the new staff? Has he beaten kids or women? Has he stolen anything? I coached high football OL for years, did a great job, loved the kids, we won a lot of games, got a lot of kids on to the next level. One year, our HC hired a young hot-shot OC, he changed everything up, he treated the kids like crap. So, yea we butted heads, bad. If someone asked him for reference about me, what do you think he would have said? Not good. But...go to all of the other guys I have worked with, the results would have been a lot better. I am pretty sure Garrett has called Scott Frost and gotten the information on this kid.

I think we read something about a kid and it gets repeated over and over on boards and people start believing it's true. Remember last year, "LVE is soft, can't take on blocks"...four months later he is destroying NFL linemen to take down RBs. As a Boise resident, I knew that was bunk, but once it gets on the boards it becomes gospel to 80% of the people.

jnday

Reaction score
Not fan. Get a pure DE or a pure DT. Not one of these guys like Crawford that they think can play both but is never great at either.
I don’t understand why Dallas values versatility from a player more than they value players that are great at one position where they can dominate. Marinelli loves these defensive tackles that can kick out and play defensive end. They are not worth a crap at DE, but he sure likes doing it.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I don’t understand why Dallas values versatility from a player more than they value players that are great at one position where they can dominate. Marinelli loves these defensive tackles that can kick out and play defensive end. They are not worth a crap at DE, but he sure likes doing it.

Are we talking about Allen or Hill? Allen is the younger version of Crawford. Hill is a 3T, with the size to play a little 1T, but I am sure we see him as just a 3T

DBOY3141

Reaction score
because it worked 20 years ago. he and JG are two peas in a pod. The current NFL has passed them by.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm going against the crowd here.

There are several still-available kids that I would take first, including four safeties, but if he is the pick, I am not going freak out and I am actually going to be kind of excited about it.

The truth is the kid has a great first step for a big man and his Sparq rating is really high. Yes, yes, Taco, but Rod does do a pretty good job getting kids coached up on the DL. I really think this kid has a chance to the 3T we need a year or two down the road.

About character concerns, has anyone heard anything besides he did not get along with the new staff? Has he beaten kids or women? Has he stolen anything? I coached high football OL for years, did a great job, loved the kids, we won a lot of games, got a lot of kids on to the next level. One year, our HC hired a young hot-shot OC, he changed everything up, he treated the kids like crap. So, yea we butted heads, bad. If someone asked him for reference about me, what do you think he would have said? Not good. But...go to all of the other guys I have worked with, the results would have been a lot better. I am pretty sure Garrett has called Scott Frost and gotten the information on this kid.

I think we read something about a kid and it gets repeated over and over on boards and people start believing it's true. Remember last year, "LVE is soft, can't take on blocks"...four months later he is destroying NFL linemen to take down RBs. As a Boise resident, I knew that was bunk, but once it gets on the boards it becomes gospel to 80% of the people.
Has Marinelli really coached up any players that became great players? The best defensive linemen had the talent to play great anyway. Marinelli didn’t improve their level of play no more than any other coach. Lawrence was a high second round pick, so he already has the talent to play at a high level. Marinelli has championed players like Hayden who was a no talent jag that Marinelli insisted on starting without campaigning for an upgrade. He has been the number one reason why the 1-tech position has been filled with one jag after another, which has hurt the run-stopping ability of the defense since he was hired. To top it off, he don’t want his 1-tech players to weigh much over 300 lbs which is well below average. A big , space-eater would help with the run defense and it would keep the LBs free and not worrying about offensive linemen constantly blocking them. He is the worst coach on the team and his stubborn ways have limited the defense more than help it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Although his work ethic may be poor, I don't really see that in the clips that are available on Hill. He plays hard and hustles hard on the field.

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
This team's fascination with trouble making idiots along the defensive line is mind boggling. I guess they really value guys who have athletic talent but hardly ever play.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Has Marinelli really coached up any players that became great players? The best defensive linemen had the talent to play great anyway. Marinelli didn’t improve their level of play no more than any other coach. Lawrence was a high second round pick, so he already has the talent to play at a high level. Marinelli has championed players like Hayden who was a no talent jag that Marinelli insisted on starting without campaigning for an upgrade. He has been the number one reason why the 1-tech position has been filled with one jag after another, which has hurt the run-stopping ability of the defense since he was hired. To top it off, he don’t want his 1-tech players to weigh much over 300 lbs which is well below average. A big , space-eater would help with the run defense and it would keep the LBs free and not worrying about offensive linemen constantly blocking them. He is the worst coach on the team and his stubborn ways have limited the defense more than help it.

He's taken some players who were OK elsewhere and gotten their best out of them, such as George Selvie, Benson Mayowa and Terrell McClain. He also helped players like Jack Crawford improve even though Crawford had his best year last year with Atlanta.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I just let the board come to you and go BPA.

Samuel is also another possibility

I’m just not seeing it with Hill. He comes in and takes limited snaps this year. But the commitment issues and immaturity scare me off. If you take a guy like that, he better be elite. Hill is not

This.

Dallas does not enough picks to get cute and use them to move up the board. They need all their picks.

Stay put and take the BPA.