Slater on Payton, nailed hours before the news broke

RonWashington

Reaction score
Drew Pearson in a local interview said the Cowboys needed a pound the table grab guys by the shirt kind of coach . Sounded ridiculous and simplistic .

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Why is everyone salivating over this guy? He's been to one super bowl in how many years? With one of the best quarterbacks in the league. What am I missing?
What does it mean that everybody in the league has Peyton in the first tier of great coaches.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Not entirely true. They hold the asset - not releasing him out of his contract is all the leverage. Want him? Pay for him

No thanks . Need draft picks on both sides of the line the 49ers game exhibit A .

JustChip

Reaction score
we aren’t giving up a first. That is outrageous.

Saints have zero leverage once they hire a new coach.
That’s a good point. But they will have leverage and more than should be because it's Jerry. Jerry overpays when he wants something. The question is whether the Bensons would be po’ed at Payton and use what leverage they have or be appreciative if what Payton did there and release him. My guess is the former because, after all, it’s business. And there’s probably some level of contempt and jealousy towards Jerry.

JustChip

Reaction score
So things will change if we bring Payton in? The first person Payton will want to get rid of is Zeke. Kind of reminiscent of when Parcells got rid of Emmitt.
I don’t think it will change. Jerry made it clear he was miserable during the Parcell era and would not do that again. But that was 15 years ago and most people change over time, but one way that Jerry won’t change is with the need to be in front of the camera which undermines the HC because there isn’t one voice.

JustChip

Reaction score
Can someone explain the obsession with Sean Payton? He won 1 super bowl with Drew Brees at QB. MM won 1 super bowl with Aaron Rodgers. Someone hit me with the deets
Right. Most people don’t get it - circumstances matter. But, for me, I want to see more creativity on offense (and not in the form of high school trick plays) and believe Payton would bring that.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think they will change. Jerry made it clear he was miserable during the Parcell era and would not do that again. But that wad 15 years ago and most people change over time, but one way that Jerry won’t change is with the need to be in front of the camera which undermines the HC because there isn’t one voice.
It’s funny how Jerrah was miserable but I thought once Romo took over for Bledsoe we had a juggernaut on our hands. Makes you wonder if we did not sign TO what would have happened to that team.

robjay04

Reaction score
Not entirely true. They hold the asset - not releasing him out of his contract is all the leverage. Want him? Pay for him

How does it work if he comes out of retirement after they hire a new coach?

I’m guessing they have to pay him or trade him but not sure.

robjay04

Reaction score
That coaching staff makes me wonder if the Parcells regime was a failure. How come Jerrah didn’t hire any of those guys as Parcells replacement.

Besides Payton—who had legit head coaching success there?

You can say Zimmer but he would’ve been considered a failure if he was hired in Dallas and his track record was the same as Minny.

Could be forgetting something

Gaede

Reaction score
Right. Most people don’t get it - circumstances matter. But, for me, I want to see more creativity on offense (and not in the form of high school trick plays) and believe Payton would bring that.

This really is the bottom line. A lot of fans like the way the Saints played offense and want us to play that way. Which is fair. I do too.

Comparisons of him and Mike are also fair. They always had competitive teams with great offenses.

But the fact that he coached with us before, and is a tie back to Parcells who many here revere for standing up to Jerry, is an extra nice thing, as is the fact that he's more charismatic than Mike.

Also, let's not forget he basically brought Romo here. Which adds more to his local mythology.

JustChip

Reaction score
It’s funny how Jerrah was miserable but I thought once Romo took over for Bledsoe we had a juggernaut on our hands. Makes you wonder if we did not sign TO what would have happened to that team.
Yes, sir. But Parcells may have stepped away anyway. He did his job, which was to resurrect a moribund team and allow Jerry to get his stadium. And he may have realized, like Dick Motta with the Mavs in ‘87, that he had gotten the team as far as it would go and needed another to take it further. Obviously, just speculation on my part, but it’s plausible.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
MM is the OFF Coord?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Can someone explain the obsession with Sean Payton? He won 1 super bowl with Drew Brees at QB. MM won 1 super bowl with Aaron Rodgers. Someone hit me with the deets
I don’t know. MM only had 3 losing seasons with Aaron. It was Aaron’s first year as a starter, one year where Huntley was the majority starter for the year and MM last year as a coach. All other times, he had a winning season which included backups playing multiple games.

Sean is a good coach but he had a few losing seasons while having Brees for the entire year in his prime and an 8-8.

If a hc don’t have the players that can execute the system, a great hc from one team can look average.